Thread: The hidden punishments

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Default The hidden punishments

I made this thread asking why I couldn't change my custom title. Apparently, it's because I'm temporarily EoEO banned... which somehow affects my ability to change my custom title?

Some of the staff members (minus RSL, who is sane) said, basically, "tough." But I was banned for breaking the rules in EoEO, not for everything else I've been lumped with. Let's look at all the additional punishments I've been given:

-Lose FS title
    -Lose infinte PM space
    -Lose ability to post in usernotes
    -Lose ability to change custom title

Now what does any of that have to do with breaking rules in EoEO? Does the staff have in the rules "if you get banned from EoEO, you lose all this other crap as well"? No. I could tolerate the first three, because I don't give a damn about a title, I'm still short of the standard 1000 PM limit, and I rarely post usernotes. But something simple like changing custom title? Give me a break.

It's entirely accidental on the first place, it was admitted that it wasn't an intentional form of punishment, and yet the staff still refuse to fix it. And that's not right.

I think its that being banned from EoEO really doesn't make you regret what you did. You wait out your time and carry on like nothing happened. Its barely an inconvenience. Who really cares about EoEO anyway xD But all that other stuff really is an inconvenience and might make you regret what you did/said (whatever it was) hence they want to keep it as added punishment incentive. Not because it fits the crime. But because it works?

Edit: I got EoEO banned, no big deal to me. Though what I was banned for wasn't really a big deal either. And I deserved it. I shall strive to never do it again! :D Though making forum life even more awkward would make me strive harder. Thankfully I don't have infinite PM space, and don't get many PMs anyway, so that wasn't too big a deal. And I never tried to change my title during that time. And I have no other titles to lose. So neh

The usernote thing sucked though, which is quite an incentive to some to not break the rules. We love our usernotes

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk
    I think its that being banned from EoEO really doesn't make you regret what you did. You wait out your time and carry on like nothing happened. Its barely an inconvenience. Who really cares about EoEO anyway xD But all that other stuff really is an inconvenience and might make you regret what you did/said (whatever it was) hence they want to keep it as added punishment incentive. Not because it fits the crime. But because it works?
    ...but that's not why staff has done it. Every single one of those, if I remember correctly, was accidental. You can't just make up bull justifications for something done wrong after the fact.

And custom title? How does not being able to change custom title affect anything? Or losing my FS title?

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Quit whining and listen to your elders and betters, you little bitch. :D

Why haven't I been EoEO banned yet? I call Marick gay all the time.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Goddammit, Dan, if you don't have any serious input, then don't post. That and you've used the same joke everyday for the past week. At least be original.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

At least let those de-EoEO'd have their ability to change their custom title. What's there to lose?

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Hey man, you've used the same Custom Rank for a month, don't talk to me about originality.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

What the heck does it matter. Get over it, we all know the staff is like Shinra, who cares. I am personally sick of all you EoEO banned people who simply can't be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto
    At least let those de-EoEO'd have their ability to change their custom title. What's there to lose?
    Come on, Proto. Surely you can see that Staff has to do something to make people notice they're EoEO banned. Otherwise, as has been said, no one will care that they're EoEO banned. You have to smack them hard. Or in Raistlin's case, extra hard. Without lube.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As I recall, when we discussed it in staff, it was something along the lines of things like user notes and custom titles being priveledges, which we can take away at our own discretion. Being a dick in EoEO seems like plenty reason to take them away, and hopefully motivation to shape up in the future so you don't have to worry about losing your priveledges again.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

But I didn't lose my custom title. I just can't change it. And apparently not all the staff members follow the arbitrary ruling of Leeza, since RSL agrees with me.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

According to the arbitrary notions of Neel, maybe I should support raistlin because he is male over Leeza who is female. Laughable.. silly brown people..

Raistlin, just stop complaining, these are the rules, simple as that.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    It's entirely accidental on the first place, it was admitted that it wasn't an intentional form of punishment, and yet the staff still refuse to fix it. And that's not right.
    Who/where/when was it admitted to be accidental?! If it is set to be that way as default then so be it, but in any case, as Vyk has pointed out, some members couldn't care less if they were EoEO banned or not so there has to be some other sort of incentive to not be a jerk in that forum. So accidental/default or set to be so on purpose (which is also a big probability, but I'm not going to go search every thread in Staff to find this), you will just have to tough it out. I would imagine that this is tougher on Dr Unne than it is on you anyway, so cheer up and look on the bright side...you can change your title in exactly 139 days and 4 hours.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Are these penalties actually listed anywhere, and I've just missed them? I glanced over the FAQ and Unne's thread in EoEo and didn't see anything. If they really aren't listed, for the sake of fairness I think they should be. At least then people will know why they can't change their custom title, post in usernotes, etc. Not only would it be more fair, but it would also probably cut down on threads asking "why can't I do [whatever]," and stop some people from causing trouble to begin with, seeing as they'll realize exactly what's at stake. And if all this stuff is listed somewhere, disregard this post.