Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Square is evil......

I say Tie Dus. So get over it.

Square... why do you defy my will.

Joking. Just had to throw something in there joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz
    Dumb Americans
    Its Tie-Dus....end of.
    As a dumb American, I was pronouncing it Tie-dus, until Kingdom Hearts came around. Maybe subconciously that's why I don't like that game. They messed with the spelling of Aeris's name, and the pronunciation of Tidus's name. Now they're trying to undo it and win back my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk
    Dumb Americans
    Its Tie-Dus....end of.
    As a dumb American, I was pronouncing it Tie-dus, until Kingdom Hearts came around. Maybe subconciously that's why I don't like that game. They messed with the spelling of Aeris's name, and the pronunciation of Tidus's name. Now they're trying to undo it and win back my favor.
    You are absolutely right. Square felt horrible that they upset you. I hope you guys are on good terms now.

Anyways, my situation is the exact same. It went from Tie-dus to Tee-dus, and it is all KH1's fault...
    PH33R teh Rainbow.

Taste the Rainbow

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dumb Americans
    Its Tie-Dus....end of.
    Excuse me? It's 'Tida', anyway. Unless that's how you pronounce it.

And yes, it's exceedingly retarded to just change their minds on how they want it pronounced. I don't know what's wrong with the Japanese name anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk
    They messed with the spelling of Aeris's name
    No, they were trying to spell it the correct way, they weren't 'messing it up'.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Man, who cares... its pretty obvious that english phonetics are different from the japanese and spanish ones..
    Americans will say tie-dus and and the rest of the world who dont speak english will say Tee-dus..

So call it whatever you want, no one is right or wrong..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by black orb
    >>> Man, who cares... its pretty obvious that english phonetics are different from the japanese and spanish ones..
    Americans will say tie-dus and and the rest of the world who dont speak english will say Tee-dus..

So call it whatever you want, no one is right or wrong..
    The main point here is that they changed the pronounciation from first game to sequel. Maybe it WAS Wakka's accent. Whatever. I guess it is all a matter of preference. I mean, they let you change his name in FFX for a reason.

(SPOILER)Man, I wish you could play as Roxas more. I think he is hella cool, much cooler than Sora. His personality actually kinda identical to Sora's (He IS his nobody after all), but he looks better, dresses better, has smaller shoes, and I like his friends more (I dislike Riku and Kairi)
    PH33R teh Rainbow.

Taste the Rainbow

I said they messed with, not messed up. I'm of the opinion there is no correct way. Its just that if you slap a TH at the end, people are going to pronounce it with a lisp. Which isn't right. But regardless, they spelled it Aeris originally, they should just keep to that. Like they've told us to pronounce Tidus's name Tee-dus. They shouldn't take that back and change it in KH2. Its stupid

maybe Selphie has her own way of pronouncing his name, as like i say "Tie-dus".

I thought about that. Maybe they did it deliberately, as to say that there is no right way to say it, and it is of personal preference. Selphie likes Tie-dus, and Wakka likes Tee-dus. No way is right or wrong. But people these days are so big-headed and cynical that they think whatever sounds best to THEM is the right way....
    PH33R teh Rainbow.

Taste the Rainbow

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think that the original, Japanese names for the characters are the proper way, because, well, they are. The creators named them those names, those are those names. If you name a child a name, you'd want everyone to call it the right name right? Your parents didn't name you a name to not be called that name, correct? (Not the best comparison, but meh. )

Of course, everyone can call it whatever the hell they want to, because it doesn't matter. It'll just be incorrect. Problems like these can be avoided if translators can, well, translate properly. I don't really understand how they can screw some of these up, even if it's a pronunciation mistake (Aerith->Aeris) or the blatantly retarded, like Tida's name in KHI, and pronounced something different in KHII. I dunno, it shouldn't be too much to ask to translate the characters' names correctly, can it?

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

The problem is that the only 2 people who've said his name are questionable sources. Wakka has a heavy accent, and Selphie is a crack fiend. Neither can really be expected to get a name right.

Hm....I see your point about Selphie, but I didnt know Hawaiian accents changed pronounciation of i's from short to long......
    PH33R teh Rainbow.

Taste the Rainbow