Thread: Gundam Wing

Default Gundam Wing

It's been some years since I saw this show but I'm still a fan. It was probably my first experience of the " Mobile Suit " genre, with excellent animation, a moving and compelling story, realistic characters and intense action.So, any other GW fans out there ?

What's your favorite Gundam ? My personal favorite would have to be the Shenlong/ Nataku ( pictured in my avatar).

It's strange. Gundam Wing is generally considered the poorest in the series, and yet it was the only one I actually enjoyed...

Epyon FTW

Gundam Wing is the greatest in the series.

I love gundam wing.

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

Love it too n.n

Deathscythe

Gundam wing is probably one of the better animes.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never actually watched any, except that cute chibi one, which I didn't really pay attention too. (Although I suppose Gundam has a massive fanbase, wasn't it made in the 70s or something? )

I hear my friends talk about NGE more than anything, though they do talk about this alot.

O_O There's a cute chibi version of Gundam? ^_^Cool!

And i've only seen the Gundam Wing series, and that movie, which was kinda like a sequel to the After The Colony episodes (Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz? Something like that.)

I first started watching it on Cartoon Network some years ago. Itw as on after DragonBall Z and before Tenchi, so I had wicked anime evenings. I didnt get into the older versions of Gundam cause I loved the modern one. Heero and Duo are my all time favs. Got the movie on VHS somewhere.

Yeah, there's a cute Chibi Gundam series. It's CGI. Cel shaded.

Anyway, Wing was my first and favourite Gundam series. Heero was a great main character. Shenlong is also my favourite Gundam. All the characters were great. Did you notice that many things in that show are named after french numbers?

I am a pretty diehard Gundam fan.

Gundam Wing was flawed, but I do not share most UC (Universal Century, the original timeline) fans' opinion that it was just a lame recycling. Was it a recycling of older Gundam themes? Yes. But lame? Nah, even if it was a bit jeuvenille compared to the originals. In fact, my fondness for Wing has skyrocketed after the abysmal second half of Gundam SEED Destiny.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Don't Gundam themes get recycled all the time? I'd think people would have more of a problem with Wing's pandering to teenage girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Don't Gundam themes get recycled all the time? I'd think people would have more of a problem with Wing's pandering to teenage girls.
    More or less. Gundam has always been stuck in somewhat of a standard equation limbo. Gundam Wing was unique in the fact that it siphoned out something from nearly all of the previous series in order to make something of an "introductory" Gundam series for the new era. To the producers, the show's purpose and function wasn't all that different from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, but with an astronomicly better reception. It took the flashy mecha concept from G Gundam and introduced five-heroes-against-the-odds in order to help it appeal to younger boys. Also, no good guys of any consequence die--which is a logical step to take if you don't want the young fanbase to have a sour memory of the show. All of these factors make it seem kind of silly in comparison to the more gritty and tragic Gundam prediscors.

The teenage girl appeal you mentioned did manage to annoy me. To keep the girls guessing as to "who is paired with whom," any romantic relationships are left on the implied level. As a result of that, characters ended up having shaky motivations and no two characters ever intereacted with eachother on anything higher than a buddy/buddy, respect/respected, or command/commanding level. That was pretty detrimental.

Even though they'll never admit it, or even realize it for themselves, UC Gundam fans only bash Wing because they are sore towards the fact that it has such a rabid Engish fanbase while the other timelines (save for SEED and sometimes G) didn't catch on. It's completely understandable that they didn't. They tried to air the Original Gundam on Cartoon Network a few years ago, and I can only imagine the expression on a kid's face when they see disproportionate 70's animation onscreen instead of Goku glowing in all shades.

Still, Wing bashers simply love to capitalize and overexagerate Wing's more shallow qualities in order to make the original sound like some sort of infalable masterpiece. But they're just bitter. Gundam Wing's a good show.