Thread: PvP in online games. Thoughts on it?

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Default PvP in online games. Thoughts on it?

I reckon for say... a grinding game (mmorpg for most of the part) it makes you feel satisfied with all the hours you have wasted smacking around monsters.

thats until someone beats you ovcourse.

so Im about 50-50 with PvP in online games.

for those who dont know what it is.

heres an example, a tournemant (snipits from) from FlyFF showing you some elements of PvP.

Blog Entries

I'm a nasty ass warrior in PvP ^_^ I can take out an entire team of 4 on my own in Guild Wars.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

PvP's weird for me. I mean, I love playing online FPS games, but PvP in ORPGs tends to be sort of blah to me in comparison. Maybe there's a certain finess to it, in timing your skills and coordinating your team, but to me it feels like dumb, pointless button-mashing compared to FPSes. I'd rather do RPing to attempt and get a story out of the game than just fighting other players.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I played WoW for like a week, and couldn't stand it because people kept killing me. STOP KILLING THE NEWBIES.

When my brother used to make me play FPS games with him, I used to go to one corner and hide so that no one would kill me. And then I'd get all offended when someone eventually did kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel
    I played WoW for like a week, and couldn't stand it because people kept killing me. STOP KILLING THE NEWBIES.
    omgz dun roll pvp nub.

I like WoW PvP, but only in battlegrounds, where it's controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    omgz dun roll pvp nub.

Yeah, after about the sixteenth time I got ganked by a level 60 paladin while doing a quest I got fed up and rerolled on a normal server. Battlegrounds are much better anyway. Or the occasional raid.
    lol signature

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

omgz dun roll pvp nub.

The only reason I got WoW was because most of the guys in my Dorm played it, and since they all played on pvp servers, it would be pretty pointless for me to get the game but not play on the same servers they were on. But I sold the game within a week anyway to a friend for $20 and a smoothie.

I like the pvp battles that FFXI has because it's more like matches and controlled tournaments rather than random fighting.

too many people get rude and nasty while pvping. I like a relaxed atmosphere so I stopped

FFXIV Character

xD.... I dont even remembered if I posted a link.... how odd....

FPS PvP is my faveorite kind of PvP indeed, except it wears off on you because thats ALL you get to do.

omgz dun roll pvp nub.

The only reason I got WoW was because most of the guys in my Dorm played it, and since they all played on pvp servers, it would be pretty pointless for me to get the game but not play on the same servers they were on. But I sold the game within a week anyway to a friend for $20 and a smoothie.

I like the pvp battles that FFXI has because it's more like matches and controlled tournaments rather than random fighting.
    Actual WoW PvP is matches and controlled tournaments; Warsong Gulch (CTF), Arathi Basin (Domination) and Alterac Valley (Assault).

World PvP is dead in WoW, all you get on PvP servers is ganking, ganking and more ganking.

There's more honourable world PvP and town-raids on PvE and RP servers than PvP.

I feel its fun but i wouldnt want it as something thats central to the game. This is why i like FFXI a little more and why it feels its more for me. PvP in that game is like a sport and a sidegame, and theres two forms of it atm. There is of course some trash talk but for the most part people congrat one another for a good game and a job well done. While i did enjoy just about every moment i had PvPing, i liked how not everything was PvP based and who has the biggest e-penis of them all. So i only like it if it was some side game, but not central to the game. Its like sidequests in RPG kinda thing, an arena.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

PvP can either be done really well (Guild Wars) or really badly (Ultima Online). It differs from game to game.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

DARK AGE OF CAMELOT has the best pvp system in my opinion. Too bad the rest of the game sucks.

In WoW, I feel too restricted in the mini-games PVP. It is like a freakin riot at the Gold Saucer or something. ZomG Three flags, we win! The system that WoW uses to control standard PvP flagging is supreme, credit given.

Guild Wars us ok, flexing a happy medium between the above games. I did not like the overall game, as it seemed - lame, at best.

Bipper

PVPs ok in WoW, I dont do it all the time. I get annoyed when someone who will gank me challenges me! A level 40 once challenged me and I was level 3?! As if!

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~
    PVPs ok in WoW, I dont do it all the time. I get annoyed when someone who will gank me challenges me! A level 40 once challenged me and I was level 3?! As if!

I didnt like that either.

level 1 vs level 60.... I mean come on, I wasnt gonna have anything on that level 1.

ps: kidding, I was the level 1 (duh!)