Thread: Final Fantasy XII Impression

Default Final Fantasy XII Impression

Many of you have asked me for my impression of the game, so I have decided to give you my take. Please bear in mind that this is only my opinion and does not represent the overall consensus.

STORY:
    Many Japanese claim that the story for FF12 is weak. Well, personally, I thought it was okay. It's not superb, but it's not bad. It's a bit on the dark side, and everything is rather gray instead just having good guys and bad guys. In addition, there's a huge emphasis on politics between countries and evil schemes, which started to sound like Star Wars: Episode 3. One thing I don't like is that there are too many names with similar sound. It's difficult to remember who is who (especially in the case of secondary characters), and which country is which. The character is also a little on the weaker side. We don't know who exactly is the main character (many would say Vaan, but I disagree), and what is he/she fighting for. In a sense, it's difficult to get attached to the characters. Many Japanese gamers remembered shedding tears in FFVII when Aerith died, and in FFX when Tidus disappeared. But until now, I haven't felt anything.

BATTLE SYSTEM:
    Most of you already know that Square Enix changed the battle system completely. No more battle screen! You run around and enemies would appear and it turns into a battle ground. It's very similar to the battle system that is used in FFXI or Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic. In other words, once you press "fight", the character will keep on hitting the enemy until it dies or another command is given. Therefore, no more pressing all these buttons. Just program your fighting pattern (gambit system) and watch your characters kill the enemies. Whether this is good or bad, I will leave that decision to you. Personally, I enjoy it. However, because it's so troublesome to tell characters to do something other than "fight," I find myself relying less on magic. Speaking of magic, it's also weaker than previous FF games. They don't do any major damage to an enemy!!! Also, what's stupid is that while you gain EXP when you kill an enemy, NO EXP is given when you defeat a boss! What's the point? It's as if the only reason to defeat a boss is to move on with the story. Lastly, when leveling up, only your HP and MP increase. Character attributes only increase when you buy new weapon and new armors. In other words, weapons and armors dictate your strength. If you are at LV30 and use the weapon from the beginning of the game, you are still as weak as LV1 (except you have more HP).

MUSIC:
    Many Japanese gamers think the music in FFXII suck. My take is that it's not bad, but it doesn't stand out. A similar comparison would be comparing the soundtrack of the original Star Wars trilogy to the new trilogy. In the original trilogy, John Williams had many memorable themes (Empire theme, Rebel Theme etc), but in the new one, he had less notable themes. This is the same for FFXII. The music is good, but it won't be in your head for long. Because the battle screen is gone, the music during a battle is the same as the music of the place you're at. And yeah, no more victory music (except when you defeat a boss).

ONE LAST NOTE:
    There are fewer save points in this game, and sometime you might not even find one for an hour in a maze. Because of this, the game actually recommens you to save your game in different save file in case you get stuck in the dungeon and can't go back to the original place. The dungeon is also larger and more complicated with meaner enemies. It's very easy to die in FFXII, and you will know that when you fight the wrong enemies (you know what I mean when you play it).

That's it for now. I hope that gives you a feel of the game. It's a good game with addicting gameplay. If you are just a RPG fan, you might like it. If you expect a lot because it carries the name of Final Fantasy, then you might be a little disappointed.

Thank you gijoe24jp your feedback is greatly appreciated. So how far in the game are you? I know you covered most of the issues in your impression thread, but I have some questions. Does the story make you want to find out what's going on next (ie makes you feel like you can't put it down till you know what's going to happen next)? Are the characters interesting or plain dull? Finally, even if you think the music is sub par would you say that it's on par with FFT? I hear that the composor for FFT and Vagrant Story did FFXII. Thanks again for your feedback!

Does the story make you want to find out what's going on next (ie makes you feel like you can't put it down till you know what's going to happen next)?

yes. I think the story's really good altho I've only played only like a quarter of the game. The characters are definitely more human, and I don't know why gijoe24jp said you couldn't relate to them cuz i definitely can relate with all of the characters. I think the story is better than most other FFs. I dunno how i'll feel after beating the game once, but for now, i can't even wait to see new cutscenes (not to mention superb and detailed graphics). Anyways, it's very story-driven in my opinion.

Finally, even if you think the music is sub par would you say that it's on par with FFT?

I haven't played FFT for a while (I actually don't own it but my friend let me borrow it for a week. needless to say, i couldn't beat it), but just looking at FF12, i think the music is really nice. it's not nobuo uematsu, but actually, they did a great job with music (esp. the opening movie...).

Mediocre, better than I was expecting.

So how far in the game are you?

I have played approximately 20 hours. I think that put me right in the middle of the story.

I know you covered most of the issues in your impression thread, but I have some questions. Does the story make you want to find out what's going on next (ie makes you feel like you can't put it down till you know what's going to happen next)?

Sure, the story keeps you engaged all the time. But like I said, the dungeons are extremely huge with few save points and sometimes no return. Therefore, it really make one thinks if one should keep playing for another 60~90 minutes or not. Don't get me wrong, it's addictive, but because of the difficulty of the game, it might discourage players from moving on with the story at a fast pace.

Are the characters interesting or plain dull?

Some characters are interesting, some are mysterious, and some are...well....normal. Personally, I find the main character Vaan a little on the dull side. Many Japanese gamers especially dislike his voice (he sounds like a 10 years old kid - in Japanese of course). I think one of the most interesting characters is Ashe. She is unlike any female characters in the FF series. She is tough, and doesn't really depend on the main character. She has a strong will, and she is filled with hatred (at least until the point where I am at).

Finally, even if you think the music is sub par would you say that it's on par with FFT? I hear that the composor for FFT and Vagrant Story did FFXII. Thanks again for your feedback!

I don't think the music is sub par, but it doesn't stand out. Remember in FFIV, every character would have his/her own theme? That's out. I don't even think they have a theme music for the bad guys in this game. Everything is just...plain.... I guess if you like FFT, then you like it. Uematsu is gone, but Sakimoto (the new composer) still uses the FF theme and prologue theme from FFIV at the beginning of the game to bring a sense of continuity and nostalgia.

Thanks very much for the impressions! It's a shame that you say that the characters don't develop that was my favourite part of the FF series. And Uematsu.. a genius, i love his music shame he's not doing this one. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
    Sure, the story keeps you engaged all the time. But like I said, the dungeons are extremely huge with few save points and sometimes no return. Therefore, it really make one thinks if one should keep playing for another 60~90 minutes or not. Don't get me wrong, it's addictive, but because of the difficulty of the game, it might discourage players from moving on with the story at a fast pace.
    This is what drives me nuts about some games. They put you in a position where you think "meh, this should only take 20-30 minutes, or there should be a save point in there somewhere, I have time to do this", and then you find that you've been in a dungeon for 1.5 hours, and no end or save point in sight, and you have to quit because you have something else to do, hence making the last 1.5 hours a complete waste of time. I wish they wouldn't program games with the mindset that you're going to devote all your time to it. Because quite frankly, I can't. And even if I could, I wouldn't want to.

That's one think I liked about FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX and FFX - tons of save points, so you could quit when you wanted or needed to.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm still really looking forward to this.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Default FFXII soundtrack?

AFter reading what you guys have said about FFXII soundtrack, i really did hesitated a while.. because I am really looking forward to the soundtrack that is said to be released in Japan today. How true? I am not too sure but i have place my order already. I felt the soundtrack is quite different i guess...maybe because it is compose and done by a new person.
    [leeza]At 635 pixels wide and 148.05 kbs, this image exceeds the width and filesize limits. Please read the sig restrictions posted above the sig field and PM a Knight/Admin if you do not understand them.[/leeza]

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
    NO EXP is given when you defeat a boss! What's the point? It's as if the only reason to defeat a boss is to move on with the story.
    This is the one peeve I have about your post. Bosses were never meant to gain EXP. Yeah, you gain a lot of EXP when you do it and there's a tremendous sense of accomplishment and satisfaction after that, but it isn't as if you can go back and beat bosses again. Gaining extra EXP (more than the game requires) means going back and fighting extra tedious battles. The game is programmed for the characters to be at certain levels at certain times, so you won't be at a loss for not gaining EXP when you beat a boss.

But I can see the validity if the complaint is that you get nothing to immediately show for your hard work.

This is the one peeve I have about your post. Bosses were never meant to gain EXP. Yeah, you gain a lot of EXP when you do it and there's a tremendous sense of accomplishment and satisfaction after that, but it isn't as if you can go back and beat bosses again. Gaining extra EXP (more than the game requires) means going back and fighting extra tedious battles. The game is programmed for the characters to be at certain levels at certain times, so you won't be at a loss for not gaining EXP when you beat a boss.

But I can see the validity if the complaint is that you get nothing to immediately show for your hard work.

I understand your point completely. However, when you use tons of potions and other items to battle against a boss, don't you want something in return? If I can get 500 EXP by beating some weak monster without sacrificing my items, then I rather beat 10 of them than fighting a boss. While I agree that there's no need to give players tons of EXP for defeating a boss, at least some special items or weapons would be nice.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Im sure they will alter at least... 12% of it once it becomes workld widely available.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Are the summons cool? (More specifically, beloved Zeromus?) And how's that 'License Board' customization system?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X
    Are the summons cool? (More specifically, beloved Zeromus?) And how's that 'License Board' customization system?
    Honestly speaking, the summons in FFXII suck. After summoning whoever you summoned, it replaces two characters in your party, leaving it and the summoner. In other words, the summoned beast become a character in the party. You can't control it though. In past games, the summoned beasts released a power attack as soon as they were summoned. But in FFXII, they begin with regular attack (usually deliver a 1000 HP damage per attack). They will launch a super attack in two cases:

1) They stay long enough and didn't get defeated (the summoned beast has HP as well)

or

2) They got beated up pretty bad and therefore got their attack charged.

The stupid part about summoning is that the beast has HP. In other word, if the enemies defeat your beast before it releases the powerful attack, congratulation, you just waste all your MP to summon "nothing". So, the key is to not let your beast's HP fall to a certain level. I often find myself constantly giving potions to my beast. How silly can that be?