Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Silent Hill Series

Default The Silent Hill Series

Well with the new movie coming out, it sparked an interest that I've had for a while with the silent hill series. I'm looking in to buying one of them, wondering if someone who has played the series had any advice. Which ones best? Are there continuing storylines are characters making a chronilogical playing be best, or can I just play whichever one I can find, and which one is best, how are the stories good stories good characters, etc? Like for example I liked the characters in parasite eve, but thought the story and characters of resident evil 4 were incredibly boring with no development whatsoever.

its a really good series, i've played them all and think #2 is the best, but yea the storylines get deep as you get into them...its just a really good series that i'd suggest you try

I love SH, I recommend getting SH2 first. Play SH1 before SH3 and 4 though, this is for story purposes.
    SH has Great gameplay, plenty of scares and stories that will keep you wanting to know more till you reach the end. Cant wait till SH5 and I will definately be seeing the movie.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, you should buy them all, and preferably play them in order. However, SH3 is the best of the bunch. Great story that was a direct continuation of the first. SH2, did have a better story I must admit, but it wasn't half as terrifying as SH3. The developers admitted that they pulled some punches in the second one, but they didn't hold back with the scary bits in the third. Of course you definitely need to play the first one before three since, SH3 is a direct sequel to it. And with SH4 you wouldn't really appreciate everything if you play it first since you'll miss out on a lot of the references to the earlier games.

Go with SH and SH3 if you want the best in the series. Those are definitely the two scariest games I've ever played.

did the same for me, but i wanted to play classical Silent Hill 2 instead of the newer ones. then i remembered i don't have Silent Hill 2/Silent Hill 3 anymore because my brother loses nearly every game he borrows from me. he's buying me both of them on his own tab, including the very first one...

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd say SH2 --> SH --> SH3 --> SH4. That's how I did it, and I think that works out great. SH2 was my favourite, with SH3 a very close second. :D The story and characters are the best things about the games; great puzzles too. Normally I hate puzzles, but this stuff is fun and challenging; although after playing a couple of the games, you know how the developers think and they kinds of things they like to throw at you, but whatever. I don't think there's a whole lot of character development, but they're interesting.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    --Box Box Box Box

Well, I'm not surprised that you found the story lacking in Resident Evil 4. Great gameplay, but I found the story a little cheesy. Anywho, I do suggest picking up the first and second Silent Hills at least. I actually quit playing Silent Hill 2 near the end because it was freaking me out too much. Damn you Pyramid Head! Yes, I know; I'm such a wuss! I believe the only ones that are related are 1 and 3. I recommend picking up 1 or 2 first.
    Casteal is my little sister!

Silent Hill 1 is the best I think, closely followed by 2. Silent Hill 3 is good but nothing special, but it does have great graphics, same goes for Silent Hill 4, but SH4 is a little different from your usual SH game, still good though.

But if you havent played any Resident Evil games, I highly reccomend buying them.

Which FF Character Are You?

Second Character: Tidus
    Third Character: Yuffie

Thumbs up

Bought Silent Hill 1 when it came out followed by 2 (couldn't find 3) and then bought 4. You can call me the Silent Hill master if you will :meditate:

As far as which Silent Hill would be best to buy, I'd say Silent Hill 1, JUST because you won't get as scared as you might with 2 or 4, SPECIALLY 4, don't you dare get Silent Hill 4 first, it'll make you have nightmares the 1st day you play it . Now that I think 'bout it, I heard that Silent Hill 3 is good intro for new fans, so yeah, Silent Hill 1, if you can't find it then get 3

And yes, the Silent Hill series IS better than Resident Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight
    No its not, however, if the RE series continues in RE4's style of gameplay, then SH will be better than RE

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz
    No its not, however, if the RE series continues in RE4's style of gameplay, then SH will be better than RE

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah right.:rolleyes2 Whatever you say. And I stand by my opinion.

The flying homo! Recognized Member Giga Guess's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

I nearly wet myself with laughter over that comment...

Many thanks Christmas!
    Horniest Member, 2007! Gimme a little unf unf!

Sorry, I forgot to add thats my opinion :p

Quote Originally Posted by Cless
    I believe the only ones that are related are 1 and 3. I recommend picking up 1 or 2 first.
    SH4 has links to SH1, 2 and 3, but most strongly to 1 and 2.

the only good resident evil game was 4, the rest were crap, so not really