Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "What's happened to the once great american movie industury?"

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I've never heard anyone say that Hollywood used to be great. The common sentiment as far as I've seen is that it's just gotten even worse than it ever was previously.

I agree most of the best and most original movies in Hollywood came out awhile ago, but that's not to say good movies don't come out anymore. You just have to look in the right places. There's been a lot of great movies in the last few years, for example:

Eternal Sunshine, The Life Aquatic, The Squid and the Whale, LOTR, Lost in Translation, The Machinist - Just some great movies I've seen that are fairly recent

Well, although Hollywood doesn't look to be embracing originality anytime soon, at least this year is going to be fantastic for people who like movies out of the norm. Youve got Southland Tales from Richard Kelly, the Fountain from Darren Aronofsky, Inland Empire from David Lynch, and a new movie from Michael Gondry coming out this year. If more people can go see movies like these, than maybe we can get Hollywood to recognize originailty.

Quote Originally Posted by The Void
    Whatever, if you like hollywood movies then carry on watching them, I'll stick with american indie and european films
    I will keep on watching them, thank you very much. There are plenty of great films that have been made in the past 10 years, as well as plenty of crappy ones. Frankly, the crappy films are what we sometimes judge the good films by!!

-LYCHON

P.S. Hollywood rocks!!! It's America's gift to the world and without it we'd all be a bit 'insaner.' lol
    Last edited by Lychon; 04-17-2006 at 12:14 AM.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Spiff, did you ever know that you're my hero?

I mean, 2005 did have quite a few bad movies, but every decade has at least one bad movie year. There have always been bad movies, and there have always been classic movies, ever since movies were created.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
    And Bad Karma and Ishin Ookami are my new favorite people. I wish I knew people like you in real life to talk about things like that. Nobody I know cares enough. I love my movies, and I'd like to know people who cares about them as much as you two.
    Wow. That's cool. I know how you feel though, there are hardly any people I know who can actually discuss Cinema (or Music, Books, Anime, Games) Intelligently. Good to know there's someone else out there.

Which kinda goes into the point I made above. People should just be more open minded about good and bad, there is generally good AND bad in EVERYTHING.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

The problem with Hollywood is that they pay everyone too much of a base pay instead of a pay based on how well a movie does. They would get more original ideas and films made if everyone got payed on how well a movie does. Obviously everyone would have a base pay but no one would be getting payed $30 million a picture as a base pay.

The Biggest Problem with Hollywood Today : Romantic " Comedies ". God, I hate them ... usually riddled with cliches, and some smarmy punk called Darcy Bigley or something, drives a Mercedes and smacks women's asses for fun. I can imagine him, sitting on his couch, slapping that big sweet old ass, laughing his very smarmy laugh, like his debauchery is funny. Damn, then it's more of a sex comedy than anything else. I hate it.
    Last edited by Itsunari 2000; 04-18-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

In the movie industry, even during years when some of the most epic and legendary films have been produced and released, there were movies that sucked. There's always some garbage amongst the gems. There has been good movies among the bad, there still are some good movies among the bad, and there always will be some good movies among the bad. My point is, just because most of the films released in a year sucked does not mean that Hollywood is losing creativity and such.