Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Quest: Like or loathe?

Oh god, I haven't picked this game up in a while! I believe I was in some port town....it was after the jester guy attacked the church place and performed that heinous murder.....I wasn't just starting though, I had been playing for over 16 hours. (Most of it using Yangus's whistle and levelling up) It's not a bad game at all, the story just isn't sucking me in enough to sit and play, play, play, play....

But the characters are very distinct and memorable. This is one of the only RPGs to make me laugh hysterically at certain scenes.
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have a feeling you'll like the story a whole lot after a certain point.

But that's good, the game is doing it's job. But you don't need to level up like a freak like some would have you believe.

On the other hand, that wacky DQII...

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Yeah, the worst I've had to do is an hour and a half at Neos (which is entirely optional anyway and has Gold Golems) and only because I really really wanted to. I think I went there too early or something 'cause when I got to the next town (Baccarat) my weapons and armor were actually BETTER than what was available there.

There are two things that I didn't like about Dragon Quest VIII : #1 The story didn't focus on Jessica very much who was one of my favorite characters. And #2 There was a small love story in Dragon Quest VIII but I didn't like it because it was between the Main Character and Medea...And I don't like Medea I was hoping that it would be between the Main Character and Jessica.
    Last edited by The Fat Bioware Nerd; 05-02-2006 at 06:05 AM.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by John_912
    There are two things that I didn't like about Dragon Quest VIII : #1 The story didn't focus on Jessica very much who was one of my favorite characters. And #2 There was a small love story in Dragon Quest VIII but I didn't like it because it was between the Main Character and Medea...And I don't like Medea I was hoping that it would be between the Main Character and Jessica.
    (SPOILER)Jessica is technically the heir to one of the great sages, and Alistair is by blood. I'd say she's at least somewhat important. (All the main characters do have some motivation after all.)

And for 2; This is Dragon Quest. Hero always gets with the Princess.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

In Dragon Quest II they were all related.

I loved the game, all the way through it. And though it was dissapointing to go into the Waterfall Cave at a low level and get the #&*@ kicked out of me, it was fun. The only points in the game where I really had to level up were before the first two boss fights, and right before Dhoulmagus.

Chimera Wings/Zoom make it easier to get to the churches, and I think it was a nice challenge to NOT have the abiltiy to save wherever you wanted. It makes the game harder, and in the end more enjoyable.

I really liked the game, the characters, the voices, the world, the artwork. Everything about it held my attention for the 89 hours it took me to beat it.

lmao, after zoom you pretty much CAN save wherever you want. Just evac if in a cave, zoom to any town, find church, save. It's that easy. I don't save that much anyway, because I'm not worried about dying and losing the three levels I just gained, you know? When you die it doesn't piss you off, because it's like Pokemon. 1/2 your money down the drain (oh no?) and then you're solid.

^ Ultima88

Super cool forum, click here and join!: http://s13.invisionfree.com/World_of...ex.php?act=idx (join the RP)

...And it was Spoken...

What I always wondered is where the money goes. Do the monsters hoarde it, and buy themselves new clothes or what?

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

My theory is the monsters just steal your shoes. The church that revives you is kind enough to provide new shoes, but they always happen to cost exactly half of the money you have on you.

I thought Dragon Quest VIII was great in all areas except one. And that one area just made the game 10x worse. Turn based battle suck. period. they take no strategy and are no fun. Why the hell would I want a game that moves and attacks for me when i can get a game where i can control where and when i attack. Turn based battles were alright, ON THE PS1. They are incredibly outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by PontiusPilate
    I thought Dragon Quest VIII was great in all areas except one. And that one area just made the game 10x worse. Turn based battle suck. period. they take no strategy and are no fun. Why the hell would I want a game that moves and attacks for me when i can get a game where i can control where and when i attack. Turn based battles were alright, ON THE PS1. They are incredibly outdated.
    That's entirely your opinion.

I thought the battle system rocked. As do many others. Its part of what makes it part of the dragon quest series.

And I pray to god they bring turn based back to final fantasy some day.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel411
    Oh god, I haven't picked this game up in a while! I believe I was in some port town....it was after the jester guy attacked the church place and performed that heinous murder.....I wasn't just starting though, I had been playing for over 16 hours.
    I found the game got better after that. The next continent is my favorite part of the game.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Sorry, but square is never bringing back the turn based for more advanced gaming consoles. Even the remake of FF VII is going to have a new battle system. I'm sure the handhelds will probably have it though (like for DS or GBA) like FF III

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~
    I dont understand why there are only save points in churches, its ridiculous and you cant save on the map or camp! And I hate the fact that when you die, half your gold is taken from you?! Gee thanks! Ive been playing for 2 hours and Ive been getting my characters up to level 7 in order to kill the first boss! WTF!?
    1) once you learn Zoom, you will be able to warp to most of the places you have previously been to.

2) you can repel weak monsters w/Holy Protection, which makes getting to a certain destination a lesser nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by PontiusPilate
    Sorry, but square is never bringing back the turn based for more advanced gaming consoles. Even the remake of FF VII is going to have a new battle system. I'm sure the handhelds will probably have it though (like for DS or GBA) like FF III
    holy #$%@ there's NO remake for FFVII. No announcement regarding that has been made yet. So how would you know what battle system they would use, even if they did release it? Only Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core have been announced. Jeepers, I just had to argue with a bunch of fanboys in the FFVII forum about this. :rolleyes2

And FFXIII looks to be atb....or something like that, from the trailers. So I guess we'll have to see on that one.

But anyways, back to Dragon Quest, Square did just release a game with a turn-based battle system in November, didn't they?
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.