Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Mage

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I never liked Red Mages. (Sorry!) I figured a character should be good at one thing overall. But that's just my opinion, I started out with a BM, WM, F, and Thief.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

My red mage can inflict more damage than my Monk... Is that normal?
    jkhkjg

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not really, but I see no reason to complain.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I don't know about DoS, but when playing WSC and PSX versions, I prefer Red Mage to Black Mage. That's because I don't use attack magic all that much, and you'll get Mage Staff, Zeus Gauntlet, Black Shirt, Bane Sword etc later in the game. Meanwhile, it's good to have a secondary healer to support my White Mage, and someone who can cast Life on the White Mage if she gets knocked out.

Red Mage still has a pretty good amount of offensive spells (the elemental spells), and he also has Haste/Fast and Temper, which is enough for me. I don't really use offensive status magic on enemies, only defensive status magic on the party. In addition, he can fight well and he has a pretty good defence. That's why I like having Red Mage and White Mage rather than Black Mage and White Mage.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

The main reason I use RM in the origional game is that while he costs alot to equip early in the game, he kicks a whole lota ass. His spells don't work as well after the 2nd Orb but thats the great challange with RM, and in my usual party RM has the second highest physical attack (next to fighter) and he's not far off if you equip him right.

RM I found to be really good- - I liked using both spectrums of magic as well as having a skill as a fighter -It didn't matter to me too much that you can't reach LVL. 8 Magic - I don't know, Here's my party- I had

Fighter, Bl. Belt, Red Mage, and Fighter - so, I pretty much was BRUTE force. lol - But I really like the Red Mage- He looks cool

A DoS Red Wizard is worth having simply as an excuse to equip a Lightbringer at the end. That having been said, the Red Mage/Wizard delivers what it promises--versatility, but a lack of specialization. As for me, I prefer the multiple options, particularly in a game where the battle system is so basic. Even if someone finds a Red Mage less than usual in battle, at least it does something to break up the monotany.

I've always liked Red Mages because of their design, so I will sometimes end up taking one along for the hell of it. I use buff spells pretty sparingly, and I use debuffs even less. So if I do take a red mage, I usually give them buff spells and then a few healing or damage spells (depending on the rest of my party) to round them out.
    Last edited by Alixsar; 06-19-2006 at 04:00 AM.
    No.

Red Mages are cool because they're versatile. True, they weak in the magic department, but still, one that can heal and do damage is always a plus

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html