Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Silent Hill impressions

I just saw it. Wasnt that thrilled afterwards. Some scenes were a little OTT and I got pretty bored of that. Acting was pretty poor :(
    And Pyramid Head didnt really do anthing great.
    Still, it was pretty cool in some places. You can see the people who made this movie have played the games. Unlike Uwe Boll who has never played a game in his life.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I heard it got the R rating for good reasons...such as not cutting the camera away when something ultra gory is about to happen. They don't cut away. They show it

I hope it is good but since they did not screen it for reviewers, I question if it is a bad movie and didn't want it to get hammered with bad impressions before this weekend.

Im annoyed cause Dan said we would be going tonight to see it. But weve had a look at our finances and we havent got any cash till our loans appear on Monday so its Monday nights showing for us

Saw it today. It was freakin sweet. Gory, creepy, and generally pretty twisted. Best of all the two heroines weren't super-heroes, they never really turned around and went Bruce Lee like Milla in RE, they were pretty believeable protagonists. Story was awesome. Yeah, there were a couple of cheesy lines, but mainly it was all good.

4/5
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

I hope its not going to be like Resident Evil...the games are great but the films suck. I have mixed feelings towards the Silent Hill film simply because I have a feeling it could be utter rubbish or it could be amazingly amazing but the internet reviews i've read, 50% of them are good and 50% say its really pathetic and never should be made into a film but who knows? Ive just gotta go see it

Which FF Character Are You?

Second Character: Tidus
    Third Character: Yuffie

I saw it.
    I loved it.
    Yes, it could have been better, but smurf, man. It could have been a whole lots worse.

I went into the theater with pretty high expectations, Silent Hill being my all-time favorite games. I am very satisfied with the result. THe movie had all the creepiness and craziness of the game. THere were some slow parts and horrid acting, particularly by the detective, but those were forgivable. The entire movie was amazing. I want to see it again.
    And again.
    And again.

They didn't stray too much from the story in the games which rocked.
    And goddamn, man.
    It was just awesome.
    SDjnflain

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I just came home from seeing it. The first half seemed pretty slow and boring to me, but the xecond hald picked up a whole lot. It might just be because of the whole witch thing that I have a natural curiousity for though. It definately deserves it's R rating for the bloddy gore scenes which were pretty cool I thought. The only thing about it though is that movies don't come near to capturing the creepiness you get when playing games like that.

FFXIV Character

Denston Fairclough (Midgardsormr)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz
    And Pyramid Head didnt really do anthing great.
    You've got to be kidding me...

Anyway, I think this was the best video game adaptation ever. Sure, it doesn't top the games, but it was still an excellent movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    Changing the gender of the protagonist experiencing the dimensions of Silent Hill doesn't really make a difference...If you play through the first game, which I highly recommend, I think you will agree. Although the film is supposed to be an option of the first Silent Hill game, Gans is changing many specific details. The reason why this is okay is because he is not changing the story, only details on which the story takes place.
    I've watched the game on many a occassion (I actually hate playing games in the Survival Horror genre) but my Dad and my sister will start a game and I love watching it. Hence why I was looking forward to the movie. The plot is a subversion on mother/daughter relationships. I simply said it made it easier for those who'd never seen Silent Hill or played the games to understand. In a game, you get hours to let plot deatils trickle through, to let the world swallow you whole...
    In a film you get 1.5-3hrs to capture your audience. By removing you following a male, it removes the "Dead Wife" thing.
    It still leaves VERY important details, and doesn't make a large difference to the plot. It keeps to the videogame. Something I approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    Also, surely its scarier seeing a "weak" women shoved into the depths of hell? Remember, they're making the films for EVERYONE, not just those (like me) who are familiar of the films. Men are typically seen as being able to cope better. Think of those Regular-Joe-Becomes-Kick-Ass films that are out there. Having a women is scarier.
    See? Simply, who is less likely to turn into a kick ass protagonsist:
    Brad Pitt? or Jennifer Aniston?

I'm seeing it next week. Glad to hear positive opinion...Encouraging.
    (Especially encouraging to those who have seen a Uwe Boll film...)

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

To be honest, I haven't played through any of the games, so I can't really judge how well it was adapted, and I'm still not sure if I like it or not, but I was somewhat disappointed. I have played about 30-40 minutes of the Silent Hill 2 before, and that alone creeped me out. This movie hardly did, except for maybe the scenes with Pyramid Head and those freaky nurses, because Pyramid Head is one heck of a scary guy. Quite a few parts made me laugh, actually.

But I guess that's my only complaint! I would have more to say about it if I had played through the first, or any of the games, really, but I'm such a coward. Oh, well. Maybe one day! XD

I liked the ending a lot, though!

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wow, this movie sucked. Terrible terrible (did I mention terrible) dialogue. I felt nothing for the characters. The action was limited. They only showed Pyramid Head twice, and they explained everything (something that the games don't do), yet I came out knowing less and caring even less. Why did they waste time with the character of Sean Bean? I wished they would have spent more time in the rust world. The special effects were cool. My main gripe, though, was the characters and writing. It was just dumb. I almost laughed out loud (a lot of people in the theater were) during some of the scenes. I went in with high expectations, but came out remembering that all video game movies so far haven't been good. I think I'll stick to the games.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    I hope it is good but since they did not screen it for reviewers, I question if it is a bad movie and didn't want it to get hammered with bad impressions before this weekend.
    Not screening it for critics prior to release is NEVER a good sign for a movie. If critics aren't allowed to screen and review the movies, you can bet that there's something wrong with the movie itself and not only that, but the makers and distributors of the movie are aware of the problems as well.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just went to go see it and I must see it's exatcly what I expected. What I love most is how accurate it was (besides from some of the major characters changing) it filled alot of plot holes Silent Hill left me while playing it. I was never exactly sure where Harry went after Silent Hill and now I know that he(SPOILER)never actually left the alternate dimension which would explain why he gets killed in the alternate world in Silent Hill 3. I brought someone with me who knew nothing about Silent Hill then when they saw it they were like wow...that was deep. The ending got to them the most. I guess they weren't suspecting it. Pyramid Head is an obvious notable mention as well as the nurses and demon children. However, they weren't seen in the movie that much. They could have given more movie time to alot of the monsters. I also thought having the(SPOILER)final boss as the final boss of Silent Hill 2 was great. I was always creeped out but that one the most. Compared to most movie games this one is definately better. It's a decent movie, but not that scary...but I'm biased because I know about the games. Yet, coming from someone who hasn't played any of them, they were shocked and afraid quite a few times. Oh, and I liked how they used the monster from SH3 I think and gave him a background story. I always wondered why he was tied in the bathroom like that. I loved how they used actual music from the game and used my favorite song "You're Not Here" in the beginning of the end credits. Yay! I reccomend this movie to non-Silent Hill fans who enjoy a good scare, or Silent Hil fanatics who can appreciate the fact that nothing is perfect yet it can be pretty close.

P.S. The only good actor was Sean Bean, but he didn't even play that big of a role. However, like most horror films the acting can come off as cheesy. Especially the actress that plays Cybil. Her movements were very exagerrated at times.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wouldn't call it a waste, but I just, I dunno, didn't come out impressed. They pulled off the environments and monsters and story really close to the games and stuff, but I guess I just didn't feel it. Maybe it's the fact that the games immerse you into this world when you play them versus just watching people play out the roles. I think the disconnection there is what really made me not enjoy it as much - which isn't at all the fault of the film makers, it's just the difference in the mediums.

Holy crap, that movie ruled so much butt, it was unbelievable. I can't believe how much like the game it was. CRAZY! I felt like I was totally watching the game! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! It was just like it! Lots of static and fog! Best game movie EVER!
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**