Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Silent Hill impressions

Default Silent Hill impressions

Well, the movie is less than half a day away and as usual the first reviews are popping up all over the Internet. Of the 4 or so I've seen so far it hasn't been called anything worse than "good." As a huge dork, I am incredibly, incredibly excited to see Silent Hill tomorrow. I am finding it difficult to concentrate or think about anything else at this point.

I have a really good feeling that tomorrow geek history will be changed forever. A good live-action videogame movie...I never thought I'd see the day.

I know Im going to see it. I've generally heard mixed reviews about it. All the critics could call it the biggest flop in history and I'd still see it though.

The whole you are evil thing just got old.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Although I am almost completely uneducated when it comes to all things Silent Hill, I think it's lame that they changed the main characters's sex from what it was in the game just because it's trendy for horror film protagonists/victims to be blonde white chix.

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

How were the games?

Yellow Winged Angel

Actually (thinking about it), changing the sex of the character actually streamlines the plot a little. Having Harry as the protagonist means having dealing with the death of his wife, and while this stresses his need for Cheryl (His last connection to his wife) it adds extra stuff to the complex script.

Also, surely its scarier seeing a "weak" women shoved into the depths of hell? Remember, they're making the films for EVERYONE, not just those (like me) who are familiar of the films. Men are typically seen as being able to cope better. Think of those Regular-Joe-Becomes-Kick-Ass films that are out there. Having a women is scarier.

Consider that the only reason Sean Bean's character is there is to add a male element. The whole 1st one is a subversion of the mother-child bond. To stress that, why not have the mother as the protagonist? having a man as this means he becomes a watcher of such a twisted thing, wheras in this, the protagonist IS part of this sick plan...

(Hey, that was spoiler free Kawaii Ryűkishi!!)

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Going to see it tommorrow. Should be fun, it's looking pretty good. And if not, I'm going with a chick anyway so it's all good.
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

Changing the gender of the protagonist experiencing the dimensions of Silent Hill doesn't really make a difference...If you play through the first game, which I highly recommend, I think you will agree. Although the film is supposed to be an option of the first Silent Hill game, Gans is changing many specific details. The reason why this is okay is because he is not changing the story, only details on which the story takes place. He understands what has been wrong with live action videogame options up until this point. (e.g. He's not changing the demons of Doom into mutated humans.) From what I've heard and know about the movie I am completely satisfied with his decisions, and I trust his appreciation for the games and desire to bring something faithful to the table. I believe that he truly knows what he's doing. I mean, come on...who would argue that putting Red Pyramid Thing in the film was a bad idea?

when I was 14 I played that game, I lived in a very old and very run down house it was the scarry house on the block. Even though I was 14 I got so scarred playing that game.

I think if the movie resembles the game in the slightest I will get rescared again....hopely

antisipatoin level for me is at a 9/10.
    Signature removed for exceeding the 50KB filesize limit. Please refer to the Signature Service thread in the Help Forum for the rules regarding signatures.

~Void

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going tomorrow to see it.

I'm excited!
    I hope it doesn't suck!

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

As usual, it won't be in our town for at least another month...if ever. But I am looking forward to seeing it, even if it will end up being on DVD. Although I don't like the fact that they have changed the lead role from male to female. The only reason they're doing it, in my opinion, is because <i>it's trendy for horror film protagonists/victims to be blonde white chix.</i> - as stated by Kishi and that sucks.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Poor Leeza, having to wait even longer ;_;

I'll probably go see this eventually. I'm interested, but not horridly excited or anything. I never got to actually play the first game, and I wasnt too thrilled by the one I did play (Silent Hill 2), but the movie does look neat so I'll go check it out if word of mouth is decent.

I've seen screenshots of it and it looks good. RE and FF movies were Ok, so Silent Hill should be as well, it's got a lot of spooky moments it can take from the games. I just hope it dosen't have a 18 certificate, i could probably get in if it's a 15.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

While I won't be seeing it, as I dislike the genre, I am nonetheless glad for the fact that it is being made, as it seems to be a faithful and well-done recreation of a game and could potentially change the way people look at video game movies for the better.

I bought the first Silent Hill game back in 1999 and I never thought it'd have a movie! I'm proud of this game, very proud

KONAMI!!!!! The future dominator of the world!

I just hope it's a good movie.