Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So an athiest walks into a church...

So an athiest walks into a church...

Hey, I wanted to know if this was a common occurance with anyone else:

You tell someone that either A) You don't believe in God, B) You don't go to church, or C) all of the above. Now, let's say the person you're talking to is really into his/her religion, or is even into it mildly so.

The VERY first thing they respond with is, "Well, you should come to my church, it's great, we could help/improve your relationship with God, it's different/better than other churches..etc.."

Is this just a 'bible belt' thing? Or do you guys get this as well?

I just ask because some people I've talked to have never had this happen while others agree.
    The Opposite of Love is not Hate. The Opposite of Love is indifference.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I have never had someone respond that way to me. I've had people ask me to join a Bible study thing or attend some church function or whatever, but didn't know I was an atheist and stopped bugging me when I declined.

If someone did, I don't know how I'd respond. Probably resist the urge to punch them in the face and walk away.

I tell people I'm an atheist and all I ever hear from that point on is about Hell and God and coming to church... I TRY to explain telling me to adopt religion and go to church is completely ineffective... It would be like me going to a priest and saying "Drop your religion and never go to church again." That priest isn't going to say, "You're one sentence on this subject matter has opened my eyes and morphed my entire life! I WILL become an atheist!"

Now I tell people I'm a Christian and go to church every Sunday. It's all much easier.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Meh, I have a really good group of friends and I attend church regularly when home. I, currently, am atheist, but I do take time to educate myself thoroughly. I do not agree with someone who calls themselves atheist, yet they know nothing about theology. I find it very ignorant. Same with theists who know nothing of science. Learn about something before discrediting it.

It would be like me going to a priest and saying "Drop your religion and never go to church again." That priest isn't going to say, "You're one sentence on this subject matter has opened my eyes and morphed my entire life! I WILL become an atheist!"

Haha... that made me laugh. Yeah, same here.

I'm not an athiest, By the way.
    The Opposite of Love is not Hate. The Opposite of Love is indifference.

yes happens to me all the time.

People who feel unsure of there faith try to get other people to believe in the same nonsense that they believe in. Because the way they see it is the more people that believe it the more it must be true.

yes they are retarded. Next time ask them if they Believe in magic. If they say no ask then how the hell did Haysus walk on water, how did Moses part the sea, how did Noah hold thousands of large mammals in a tiny boat for 1 week, ware did the water from the flood go?, and last but not least how do all the presents get under the tree. If that's not magic I don't know what is.

They will get mad and never ask you this again. religious people are easily offended because they are easy to make look stupid and they have to rely on faith alone to back up there story's.
    Signature removed for exceeding the 50KB filesize limit. Please refer to the Signature Service thread in the Help Forum for the rules regarding signatures.

~Void

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I just tell them I dont care about religion..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Jesus died for you, the least you could do is worship him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper
    Jesus died for you, the least you could do is worship him.
    NO THAT IS THE BIGEST LIE I HAVE EVER SEEN

Jesus died so Mel Gibson could make a movie about it

Jesus died for Mel Gibson
    Signature removed for exceeding the 50KB filesize limit. Please refer to the Signature Service thread in the Help Forum for the rules regarding signatures.

~Void

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

A better topic is why teens are generally antagonistic about Religion. I've never figured it out.

It's one thing to reject it for your own reasons -- it's another to openly mock and deride it.

Personally I never make the mistake of saying I'm Athiest. I never say anything and when people bring up Bible study I tell them I go to *local church near my house that my mother goes to* because 1) it's close to my house and 2) it's closer than your church.

Hah I win.

Im a Catholic, havent been to Church in a while, say my prayers everynight and sometimes do and dont believe in God. Thats mainly when bad crap happens, I blame him, yet other times I believe he listens to me when I pray to him. I havent been told I need to go to church more, I guess people accept the fact that I still pray is good enough.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I do believe that the church I went to in NZ is probably the only one I would ever go to regularly because it set such a high standard. That, and UK's style of church is not my style. I've tried dozens of churches in the UK and NZ outside of GEBC (my church) and none of them are rockin' enough.

But I've never been a preacher. I tend to avoid the topic unless it's brought to me.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

I thought this would be a 'So a guy walks into a bar' jokes with an atheist twist, but it turned out to be something boring.

there was a picture here

I will always be convinced that there is no God. It's just what I believe. I was brought up by my parents to believe in God, but I deviated. Not for rebellion, but it's what I believe. There just isn't enough goodness in this world for me to believe there's a god in control. I tell anyone plain and simple what I believe.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdirden
    yes happens to me all the time.

People who feel unsure of there faith try to get other people to believe in the same nonsense that they believe in. Because the way they see it is the more people that believe it the more it must be true.
    Actually, one of the largest precepts of Christianity and all of its major denominations is witnessing to unbelievers. So, in truth, it normally takes someone very strong in their faith to seek out others who are unfamiliar with the Bible/church/etc.

Signature by rubah. I think.