Thread: Double-Fisted Monk Style?

Default Double-Fisted Monk Style?

I think I was trying something new and put Martial Arts on one of my ninja characters, resulting in a double-bare fisted attack with pretty decent damage.
    Will the same thing happen if I put Two Swords on a Monk?
    Though I don't think that really would help much, since Ninjas have the advantage of speed.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They punch twice and do pretty decent amounts of damage. It's an older technique, but it does work.

AAAAAARRRRRRGGG!!! I just spent almost an hour conducting an experimental battle in the D.D. and getting all sorts of stats about the different damage done by Monks with Two Swords and Ninjas with Martial Arts on different enemies while posting the results. Apparently I took too long and the freakin site logged me out automatically!

First lesson learned: Don't take too long in the reply to thread page, or your hard work will be erased for you! It is better to post your progress after 15 mins, and then use the edit/delete button to continue adding to it.

Second lesson learned: Both Monks w/ T.S. and Ninjas w/ M.A. kick major a$$! 99th level Monks combined the two standard punches for almost 2000 pts of damage, while Ninjas of the same level hit twice for a combined 1300-1900 pts. The Punch Arts also showed an approx. 25% higher damage for the Monk. And the damage was always over 850 for the Monk, over 600 for the Ninja, with Earth Slash or Wave Fist.

Third lesson learned: Thrown weapons had no distinct advantage for either the Monk or the Ninja. I conclude that thrown damage is based primarily on Zodiac compatibility between attacker and target. Or possibly an increase in damage when the target is charging a spell (charging status).

A 99th level Monk has approximately 150-160 more Hp than his Ninja counterpart, eventhough the ninja had also equipped a Thief Hat. He also has a +2 advantage to weapon Attack power. The Ninja boasts a +3 advantage to speed, again this is largely due to the Thief Hat he was wearing; and he has +1 movement and +10% to class evade chance.

My vote goes to the Monk though because of the immense amount of damage he does and his higher Hp.

If somebody else would like to conduct a similar experiment with a Monk and Ninja of lower level (say around lvl 25), be my guest. I'd love to see if they are still one-attack killers! But one such experiment is enough for this guy to do in one day. Hmmm... tomorrow on the other hand...
    Last edited by Despotus; 04-26-2006 at 09:32 AM.
    Anarcho-syndicalism is a way of preserving freedom...

Thanks for your answers, both of you.

If I would have seen this earlier I would have already posted but oh well. Did you know you can put two swords ability on a knight that has no sword or shield in either hand and get two punches out of him.

I like this better than the ninja and the monk beacause of the armor they can wear while still doing massive damage. Granted the knight abilites are not great but........

Knights can do massive damage with their fists without Martial Arts?

I wouldn't say massive but hold on let me get some specs up here. BRB

Ok this is what I got. Boyce my knight with two swords who gets two punches has 80 brave and 18 attack power at level 97. He hits a chocobo and a goblin with normal zodiac ratings for 252 damage each punch for a total of 504 damage. Like I said not "Massive" but for an armored tank not bad either. My knight with the chaos blade only did 450 damage and got only 1 hit. so ya know.
    Last edited by dodhungry; 05-07-2006 at 06:38 AM.