Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Mage party?

Banned

Default Red Mage party?

Alright, next time I restart this game, I'd probably try out this Red Mage x 4 party.
    However, I'd always thought this party to have a somewhat bad reputation, the arguments going "they will semi-suck in everything!" and the like; but still, the Walkthrough on this site heavily recommends this party, because it constantly goes "buy everyone the best equipment and the best spells, before heading for Town X and getting the best buyable spells in the game for everyone, which will easen your struggle for higher HP, MP, Strength, Agility, Soul and Intelligence for all your chars" and so on. :rolleyes2

What do you think of this party?
    Could it be a good idea to max all chars in every possible aspect?
    Last edited by Peter_20; 04-29-2006 at 08:17 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

Meh. I'd find it pretty boring, but to each his own.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I commend you on embracing the Red Mage way of life. Remember : Buff and Debuff spells only, use nothing but Swords (absolutely no exceptions) and never ever wear Genji Gear. Ever.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power
    Buff and Debuff spells
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLadyNyara
    Meh. I'd find it pretty boring, but to each his own.
    I agree. It's best to give a specific trait to your party

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20
    Buff and Debuff spells
    What?
    Buff = Any spell that enhances your characters. E.g. "Blink" would be a Buff spell since it raises your Evasion.

Debuff = Any spell that dehances your target E.g. "Blind" would be a Debuff spell since it lower's an enemies accuracy.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Ew *cringe*

Look, the reason the walkthrough on the site reccomends it is because it was written when not very much was known about the game. Buying "the best equipment" isn't always the best idea, just for the reason that a lot of armor lowers agility which makes you take more damage in the end. Also, swords + magic = gimped magic. If you wanna do it, go for it, just realize what you're getting yourself into.

It entirely depends on what version of the game he's playing. If it's NES or Origins, then of course the "best" equipment is going to gimp him back into the stoneage. But I assume automatically anyone playing FF2 these days is doing so through DoS, in which case weapons/armour have absolutely no bareing on your magical ability.

Banned

It entirely depends on what version of the game he's playing. If it's NES or Origins, then of course the "best" equipment is going to gimp him back into the stoneage. But I assume automatically anyone playing FF2 these days is doing so through DoS, in which case weapons/armour have absolutely no bareing on your magical ability.
    Actually, I've used the combos Sword/White Magic and Bow/Black Magic for quite a while now, and those chars (Firion and Maria) rock in both those aspects; so, honestly, I don't really see whence all this "gimped" stuff comes from.

I assume automatically anyone playing FF2 these days is doing so through DoS, in which case weapons/armour have absolutely no bareing on your magical ability.
    Oh? You've compared the damage? That's good to know, 'cause I don't have anywhere near as much info on DoS

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Oh? You've compared the damage? That's good to know, 'cause I don't have anywhere near as much info on DoS
    Yeah I remember we had a discussion a while back about DoS' monster stats. You believed that they were lowered, whereas they're the same. For future reference the gamefaqs entry on the game has quite a lot of information, including damage formula, stat gaining formula and equipment bonuses/penalty. Note that the whole Agility/Evasion thing is still present in DoS, even if the stat reduction system isn't.

Wow, it so got Easytyped...

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Wow, it so got Easytyped...
    If FF2 got Easytyped, FF1 got YouCanCompleteItWithNoArmsAndCateractstyped.

the thing about red mages is i dont particularly care if they dont rear the strongest fighters or if when you attack you lower your intellegance after each round ect, i have a red mage team who have well rounded stats and can kill nearly every monster in one hit but also have good magic and magic defense to fall back on the team requires more training but it can work unbeleivably well if you know what your doing so i say go for it and if you need any help or advice on making it work then you can ask me seen as im one ov the only ones who supports this system.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I find a party of Red Mages annoying just because you need to level up everyone in so many areas. Raising a few spells for a mage is already tough, raising weapons and spells for every character takes even longer.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi