Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: In Advent Children, are Tifa and Cloud engaged/married!?

When I saw the movie I got the impression that they're trying to get together, but Cloud is being haunted by the memories of Aerith, which is holding him back.
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

From Case of Tifa (if you havent read it yet, please do... and if you dont know, yes it is an official SE novella, not a fanfic or anything), it seems like their relationship was on a strong path until Elmyra (that was her name, yeah? It's been a while) employed Strife delivery service to send a bouquet of flowers to Aerith's final resting place. This sent Cloud spiraling into depression and guilt again, not only over Aerith, but over everyone he failed. I think he got to the point where he felt like he would fail Tifa again as well (and does feel like that in AC when he finds her beaten in the church, as evidenced by the wolf showing up again).

As for the ring itself, it could be anything. Supposedly Barret has one as well, but that's not to say that Tifa's couldnt be a promise ring (and promise rings are often worn on the right hand to avoid confusion with engagement rings) or even an actual engagement ring.

Regardless, now that Cloud has been freed from the heavy burden of guilt, I dont see any reason why he and Tifa wouldnt pursue their relationship even further, to the point of marriage.

The 'Barret has one' line is, as far as I can tell, mindless opposition to the ring as evidence. While Barret does indeed have a ring, it's the same one he was wearing in FF7 (IE- his original wedding band) and looks absolutely nothing like Tifa's. Not only that, Tifa's band is expressedly ID'd as the 'Cloudy wolf ring' which cannot be said of any other ring you happen to see in the movie.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Which is why I said supposedly, because I, personally, have not seen the ring on Barret's finger and have no clue what it is. Thanks for clearing it up for me <3

Where do I find this Case of Tifa or whatever?

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They don't seem to want to sleep in the same bed. Now, either they have serious relationship issues, or they aren't together like that.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Where's evidence of that? As has been said, the only bedroom we see is Denzel and Marlene's. And also, they are in the middle of serious relationship issues in the course of AC, thanks to the guilt and what Cloud sees as his impending death.

http://www.ff7ac.net/?s=pages/shorts/1 Case of Tifa can be read here, along with the other novellas.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't find the pictures of it right now. But if you watch a video called Cloud's Dream Part II(on youtube) it has the scene taken directly from Advent Children of them sleeping in different beds. Although Cloud lives in the church there is no evidence of him sleeping inside of it.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I guess in older Japan, that wasn't too uncommon. In like, arranged marriages. Or I could be wrong. Meh.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

In one scene they are in seperate beds, yes. Its stated, however, that they're in Denzel and Marlene's room.

It always seemed, to me at least, that Tifa wanted the relationship more than Cloud, who was always off thinking of his own problems.

There was a scene in FF7 where the two sat together beneath the Highwind... of this we only get part of their conversation as the night turned to early morning, but Tifa wants him to stay "a little longer" and he seems uneasy.

In Advent Children, Cloud looks to have taken this even further. Perhaps there is a possibility of a relationship, but during the film, Cloud seems to use his guilty feelings and insecurities to shield himself from others. He doesn't want others to even know he's sick, let alone how he feels about Tifa. So he speaks in broad generalizations, covering the scope of his fears (losing family, friends, and everyone else) without having to admit the details.

Also, at the end of FF7, Tifa sort of embraces Cloud as they hang onto the cliff's edge, as she get's close to him, Cloud brings up Aerith, and it almost looks like Tifa kinda resigns herself a bit to the situation. Then, when they are sitting together, they are again interrupted wondering where the others are, who are on another ledge waving. Just more stuff to think about.
    >:-)

Yeah I know what you mean! There are a ton of signs that the two MAY be together, but I mean you never really know... Oh and thanks TheAbominatrix. I'll have to read it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kain424
    It always seemed, to me at least, that Tifa wanted the relationship more than Cloud, who was always off thinking of his own problems.

There was a scene in FF7 where the two sat together beneath the Highwind... of this we only get part of their conversation as the night turned to early morning, but Tifa wants him to stay "a little longer" and he seems uneasy.
    Uneasy? Elaborate on what gives you this impression.

In Advent Children, Cloud looks to have taken this even further. Perhaps there is a possibility of a relationship, but during the film, Cloud seems to use his guilty feelings and insecurities to shield himself from others. He doesn't want others to even know he's sick, let alone how he feels about Tifa. So he speaks in broad generalizations, covering the scope of his fears (losing family, friends, and everyone else) without having to admit the details.
    He feels like an utter failure for letting Zack, Aerith, and his entire hometown die, is suffering from an incurable and eventually fatal wasting disease, and doesn't want to be a burden on anyone.

Also, at the end of FF7, Tifa sort of embraces Cloud as they hang onto the cliff's edge, as she get's close to him, Cloud brings up Aerith, and it almost looks like Tifa kinda resigns herself a bit to the situation. Then, when they are sitting together, they are again interrupted wondering where the others are, who are on another ledge waving. Just more stuff to think about.
    I hate it when people try and bring the crater into the LTD when it requires divorcing the entire scene from context to make it work.
    Last edited by Ryushikaze; 05-26-2006 at 05:59 AM.

Yeah I suppose. That one part in "The Case Of Tifa" though...
    Tifa: Cloud you're smiling
    Cloud: Am I?
    Tifa:Yeah
    Cloud: Everything starts now. A new... A new life... I'm going to live. I think that's the only way I can be forgiven. We've been through... All sorts of things.
    Tifa: I guess you're right
    Cloud: But when I think about how many times I've thought about starting a new life, it's funny
    Tifa: Why?
    Cloud: I've always failed to do it
    Tifa: That's not funny
    Cloud:...I think it'll be all right this time
    (he becomes silent for a moment)
    Cloud: Because you're always with me
    Tifa: I wasn't always with you...
    Cloud: From now on, that's how things are gonna be.

Just something about that part. I dunno, it may sound stupid, but is there some sort of connection there at all??