• Martial Arts

1 2.27%
  • Calvinball

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Sport (EOFF verison)

PSP IZ DA DAWGZ!!!!!!! Cid Vicious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bipper
    American (true ) football is by far the greatest. No pansie footing and running away and handling a ball like a freaking figure Scater. Armor up, grab the ball, and charge into a wall of aggressivly defending players and watch the blood sweat and tears pour in a supprisingly civil display!

basketball is fun to play, but the sux to watch.

Bipper
    They wear shoulder pads.

You should watch Rugby League for a real man's sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandal
    Quote Originally Posted by bipper
    American (true ) football is by far the greatest. No pansie footing and running away and handling a ball like a freaking figure Scater. Armor up, grab the ball, and charge into a wall of aggressivly defending players and watch the blood sweat and tears pour in a supprisingly civil display!

basketball is fun to play, but the sux to watch.

Bipper
    They wear shoulder pads.

Or Aussie Rules Football.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Football (soccer). I've just been playing for a couple of hours, and I really enjoy it. I'd like to start playing a couple of times a week.

I like to follow it as well.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

They wear shoulder pads.

People who say American football is less dangerous or less physical than rugby obviously don't know anything about it. The helmets and pads make the game far more physical than rugby will ever be. Defenders tackle differently with helmets; the helmets turn into <i>weapons</i> that if someone without a helmet tried to tackle that way, they would die. Have you ever seen a quarterback being blind-sided by a 300+ pound defensive lineman? Or a wide receiver jumping in the air to catch a ball over the middle and being drilled by a 250 pound linebacker. It is not pretty.

I use to play basketball and was a huge b-ball fan. I adored the Chicago Bulls and loved Jordan, Pippen and Rodman. But sadly I had to quit basketball because of my studies and neither of my parents were willing to take me to training. Jerks.

I also love football, my team is Manchester United cause its my hometown. Im not as die hard as I once was and my fav players were Keane, Giggys and of course Cantona. Im not a fan of Rooney or when Becks played for us. I love old skool players.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    They wear shoulder pads.

People who say American football is less dangerous or less physical than rugby obviously don't know anything about it. The helmets and pads make the game far more physical than rugby will ever be. Defenders tackle differently with helmets; the helmets turn into <i>weapons</i> that if someone without a helmet tried to tackle that way, they would die. Have you ever seen a quarterback being blind-sided by a 300+ pound defensive lineman? Or a wide receiver jumping in the air to catch a ball over the middle and being drilled by a 250 pound linebacker. It is not pretty.
    I very much agree with this. All of it. Football is more aggressive, in a smart way.

My heart lies with football/soccer.
    Casteal is my little sister!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I added a few options.

And for the record, Dan is correct. Cricket is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    People who say American football is less dangerous or less physical than rugby obviously don't know anything about it. The helmets and pads make the game far more physical than rugby will ever be. Defenders tackle differently with helmets; the helmets turn into weapons that if someone without a helmet tried to tackle that way, they would die. Have you ever seen a quarterback being blind-sided by a 300+ pound defensive lineman? Or a wide receiver jumping in the air to catch a ball over the middle and being drilled by a 250 pound linebacker. It is not pretty.
    I know people who have played both. They say rugby is a rougher sport by a long way. Not more dangerous, and they're probably about equally as physical. But roughness and how much damage you feel, they say rugby. I can't remember which form of rugby, though... I think they said it was rugby league, but I'm not 100% sure. The person I'm thinking of is an American, although he's not the only one I've seen say it.

Maybe it all goes down to personal experiences, though.

EDIT: They also noted that any rugby player would be out of his league if they were to play American football, and vice versa, as they are pretty much completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by some guy in some forum that put it nicely
    Having played on an organized level in both sports, I this is a fair assessment:

1. The cardiovascular demands for rugby are more intense. Football has more time in the midst of play to huddle and catch one's breath, and the plays themselves often last only a few seconds. And in football you get to rest for half the game! You won't see any 350 pound linemen lumbering around a rugby field.

2. But you will see 350 pound lineman exploding in bursts of enormous energy on a football field. Being the sole target of their attack as a linebacker or defensive back, when your attention is supposed to be focused on someone else who has the ball, is an unpleasant experience not available in rugby. And sometimes there are two of them.

3. There is a reason that football players wear padding and helmets. The hitting is more severe. In part this is due to the fact that they have helmets in the first place.

4. In my first-ever rugby game I used a football-style tackle, putting my face right in the guy's sternum, on a goal-line play. The results were outstanding, jarring the ball loose and preventing a score. My opponent broke his collarbone and I suffered a concussion. As rugby players will have it, we became good friends and admiring opponents for three years. But I learned never to tackle that way again without a helmet!

5. The rugby songs and beer beat anything football has ever devised.

On balance, I left rugby games far more exhausted, bruised and bloodied than I did football games. But I left more opponents either injured or in pain on the football field.

Both a great, intense games, whose requirements are as different as they are similar. Both provide opportunities for life lessons that are irreplaceable. To argue in favor of one over the other is to be a fan. To disrespect one over the other is to never have played the other.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I used to play squash and I absolutly loved it. So SQUASH gets my vote. If it was multiple I'd also go for cricket and softball because they are both awsome sports and I've also been in teams for both.

Blog Entries

football! go bears!

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Football, and as for you british blokes I mean real football as in this

Edit: and to qoute, WHAT'S CALVINBALL!?

Yellow Winged Angel

oh you people.

you all really have yet to find out how much hockey pwns all these sports. :rolleyes2
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by BooBy
    I know people who have played both. They say rugby is a rougher sport by a long way. Not more dangerous, and they're probably about equally as physical. But roughness and how much damage you feel, they say rugby. I can't remember which form of rugby, though... I think they said it was rugby league, but I'm not 100% sure. The person I'm thinking of is an American, although he's not the only one I've seen say it.
    It depends on what position you play. A running back is probably made safer by the pads, simply because he's typically hit in situations similar to rugby: with his shoulders down and he's always prepared. However, if you're a quarterback and get slammed in the back when you're standing straight up and not expected it, or if you're a wide receiver that gets drilled when he jumps straight up to catch a ball, I would argue that it would hurt more than any hits in rugby. In rugby, you're never in a position to get hit straight-up like that.

EDIT: They also noted that any rugby player would be out of his league if they were to play American football, and vice versa, as they are pretty much completely different.
    Yeah, it's two completely different styles. Rugby is definitely more intense cardio-wise, because they're less pauses. Rugby also values more overall athleticism, unlike with football, which has very specialized positions. Also, offenders don't play defense in football, so the same guys aren't on the field the whole time. I'm not talking about how exhaustive a game is (soccer and basketball would beat football), just how hard the hits are. They're not really comparable, because you tackle differently. But I am saying that the pads and the specialization of the positions allow football hits to be much more severe.

In high school football I ko'ed a ref when I was playing corner. There was a Hand off fake and the quaterback droped back outa pocket for a quick throw to the reciever in which I was covering. I turned arround and began to sprint nearly side by side with my reciever and all I seen in my grill was another dudes face.

Between the ref and I the pass was never completed, but the next thing I know I was looking at the ref whom was flat on his back with a dazed smile and bloody nose. Took a good minute with the smelling salts to get him up.

Now that is football pain! The refs die here son.

Bipper

go suns

Bball
    Signature removed for exceeding the 50KB filesize limit. Please refer to the Signature Service thread in the Help Forum for the rules regarding signatures.

~Void