Thread: Ancient Sword

Default Ancient Sword

SO...I got this Anicient Sword, and it says it inflicts or some verb an ancient curse. Is that on the enemy or the user of that weapon?

official beerpong champ Stayin Dizzy's Avatar

I haven't played 2 in a while but if I remember it might be the sword you get early in the game that does low-low damage, but theres a dungeon in the game where it does the most damage. I could be thinking of star ocean too though. Again its been a while

Ashy Larry-Marcy Projects-Marcy son WHAT!

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

It shows a raise in attack but doesn't do much damage at all, it inflicts curse, I don't know exactly what curse does but when one of my players is inflicted with it their magic and attack seem to be significantly reduced.
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Curse lowers a target's Attack and Defense abilities. The Curse sword has a chance to inflict curse each time it hits. Think of it operating like the spell Curse, except it uses your Sword skill to see how many times it attempts to "layer" itself on the enemy.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power
    Curse lowers a target's Attack and Defense abilities.
    Could this possibly be the same thing as "Aging" from FF5?

Hey, I could be wrong, but I think "Aging" also reduced stuff.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20
    Hey, I could be wrong, but I think "Aging" also reduced stuff.
    You could think of it like that, but that would be erroneous. For one thing Aging lowers the stats of a character to 1, creating vastly different effects from the ones in FF2. Curse basically lowers the output damage of a character, as well as reducing their ability to take damage.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

The reason it doesn't do much damage even though it has a higher attack: It has an accuracy of 10, while the sword you were probably using before it (the Mithril Sword) has an accuracy of 50. This means fewer of your hits actually land. Let's assume you have a sword skill of 5, this means you will actually ATTEMPT 5 hits on the enemy. Whether or not a hit lands is dependant on accuracy, so you may not actually land all 5 hits.

"But DJZen! The attack is higher! Surely that must translate to more damage!"

Not always. Think of it like this. Let's say each hit has the potential to do 80 damage with the Mithril Sword, and 95 damage with the Acient Sword (not taking the additional effect of Curse into consideration). If you use the Mithril Sword, you're more likely to land all 5 hits, which would be 80x5, which comes out to 400. Let's say that because of the Ancient Sword's lower accuracy, you only miss two hits. Not so bad, right? This means your damage would come out to be 95x3, which is 285.

Final Fantasy II is kinda funny like that. Weapons and armor tend to have effects that they never ever let you know about. However, the Ancient Sword DOES have the ability to Curse enemies, so it's not a bad thing to have if you're going up against anything that's not resistant to Mind element.

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    The reason it doesn't do much damage even though it has a higher attack: It has an accuracy of 10, while the sword you were probably using before it (the Mithril Sword) has an accuracy of 50. This means fewer of your hits actually land. Let's assume you have a sword skill of 5, this means you will actually ATTEMPT 5 hits on the enemy. Whether or not a hit lands is dependant on accuracy, so you may not actually land all 5 hits.

"But DJZen! The attack is higher! Surely that must translate to more damage!"

Not always. Think of it like this. Let's say each hit has the potential to do 80 damage with the Mithril Sword, and 95 damage with the Acient Sword (not taking the additional effect of Curse into consideration). If you use the Mithril Sword, you're more likely to land all 5 hits, which would be 80x5, which comes out to 400. Let's say that because of the Ancient Sword's lower accuracy, you only miss two hits. Not so bad, right? This means your damage would come out to be 95x3, which is 285.

Final Fantasy II is kinda funny like that. Weapons and armor tend to have effects that they never ever let you know about. However, the Ancient Sword DOES have the ability to Curse enemies, so it's not a bad thing to have if you're going up against anything that's not resistant to Mind element.
    Thank you so so much, That was very clear

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like using it and having them just sorta disappear. At least I assume that's the sword we're talking about. I remember a sword doing that I think xD