Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of joining.

Default Thinking of joining.

Hey guys, I'm very interested in possibly picking up FFXI and checking it out. I'm looking for a game that will be able to hold my attention and be able to keep me occupied for a good while. I'm a huge fan of most of Square Enix's project including but not limited to the FF series, and have much experience in many other MMORPG's and enjoy their style of gameplay, and like the social aspect to it. I was just wondering if it would be a wise descision to pick up the game and start a new character although the game has been out for a while., and how well it is able to hold the interest of a slightly above average gamer. Thanks ahead for any imput, look forward to hearing from you.

Honestly? If you're looking for a game that can hold your interest than this is definitely for you. Be careful what you wish for though, because this really is a very time consuming game. Be prepared to spend at the very least 2 hours each session. It's certainly not for people who only want to play for 30 minutes each day or so, but if you're truly looking for a consuming game, then you've found it.

Thanks for the quick reply, I look furthar into getting it, it seem to be a very interesting game that qill be able to keep me interested for a long time to come.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It's a very fun and time consuming game. Plenty of quest to do with item rewards to keep you busy. The linkshell feature makes it great because you always have someone to talk to. I wouldn't worry about it being out for a while. There's always low level players to party with and rise through the game.

but it cost alot to play so you better ask how much the regestration fee is?

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero
    It's a very fun and time consuming game. Plenty of quest to do with item rewards to keep you busy. The linkshell feature makes it great because you always have someone to talk to. I wouldn't worry about it being out for a while. There's always low level players to party with and rise through the game.
    Oh yeah, not only that but the new expansion and xbox 360 version JUST came out so, there's even more new players than usual.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Right, and it only costs about $12 a month unless you have more than one character. It does take a major credit card to play so make sure you have one, or a debit card that accessess a checking account.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I find myself player longer and longer to the point of where its part of your daily routine.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

idol-of-ohio, FFXI is a great game and with the new expansion as well as the XBox release, "breath of life" doesn't begin to cover how revitalized this game has become in the last few weeks. If you were ever planning on getting this game, now is the time.

Hate to break the mold, but I was bored to tears by this game. It's one of the most annoying and just unfun level grinding MMOs that I've tried. WoW is infinitely better but after a while even that couldn't keep me hooked after three months playing World of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakenbelle
    Hate to break the mold, but I was bored to tears by this game. It's one of the most annoying and just unfun level grinding MMOs that I've tried. WoW is infinitely better but after a while even that couldn't keep me hooked after three months playing World of Warcraft.
    As much as it might be a level grinder, especially early on, I think that perhaps is what sets it apart. The stories I keep hearing from many that play WoW, especially those that played FFXI or another MMORPG first, is that after a short time in the span of a few months you've done it all and there's not much more to do but start another character.

It may take you a while to get to the top level in FFXI and once you are there you've barely begun to scratch the surface of what the game has to offer. There is more than enough content to last for many many years. WoW is extremely popular now but I think ultimately it will suffer longevity problems because you just run out of content. Sure there's a crapton of quests but most are "go kill 10 of this... go slay 5 of that"

Another thing that most hate about FFXI is that it requires grouping. There's honestly not much you can do solo, especially early in the game. While some hate this let me remind you of what you are attempting to play... it is a massively MULTIPLAYER online role-playing game. I suppose it's fun to play AROUND people instead of WITH them which is what you get from a game you can solo to endgame on. If you want to play solo go play an offline game.

I will grant you that grouping with morons sucks but at least there is a definite sense of community in FFXI. Also in the end you'll end up playing with far more mature players because they less mature are very limited by their own reputations.

Most know my view on people's opinions about the game. I honestly don't think you can judge FFXI if you've not gotten past a certain point though many do. If you haven't played a character into the 50s then I don't think you have the right to give an opinion on this game. I hate hearing people who barely get to level 10 and complain that they can't solo and there's no story line. This is much the same as saying.

"FFVII sucks... you just run around killing stuff in some reactor. There's no Magicite and the story is horrible."

"FFVI sucks because you just ride around on some machines in a cave fighting stuff that's too easy to kill with some girl that doesn't even have a name... and there's no Materia."

"FFX sucks because I just run around on a bridge figthing endless waves of spiny things with some old crippled guy"

I could go on and on but I think you get the point. You can't judge the content, gameplay, or storyline of a game that you've barely played. For an offline game it might take you 30 or more hours... for FFXI it might take you 30 or more weeks to truly grasp it.

Thanks for the great feedback from everyone. Just ordered the game for PC yesterday, so it should be arriving withing the next few days. Seems like a game that will be able to fit my playstyle and be able to hold my attention. Hope to see some of you in-game.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator

Since you have decided to purchase the game, you may want to consider what platform you want to play on. You can play it on the Playstation 2, the XBox 360, or the PC.

You may want to consider which server you'd like to play on, too.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

idol, a bunch of EoFFers play on the Pandemonium server and I can hook you up with a worldpass + linkshell if you'd like. Otherwise, most of the servers are pretty much the same. Some are a bit more renowned for in-game drama than others.

Joke's on you - we're all guerrilla marketers for Square-Enix!