Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: book review: Last book you read?

Default book review: Last book you read?

as the title says..this is a book review. so what was the last book you read?? what was the general gist of it?? would you recommend it?? and marks out of 10!!!

Basically because i am afraid of trying new genres of books (i stick pretty much to Anne Rice) so i would appreciate some feedback that may get me to enjoy different genres!!!

Ive not fully finished it, but Im enjoying The Magician's Guild by Trudi Canavan. Its the first book in the Black Magician Trilogy. It is a great read and your imagination runs riot with it. She does now how to grib her readers and I love the maturity of it. I was expecting something like Harry Potter, but its far from.

It does take awhile for it to get going and I love the character Sonea, its nice to see a magical female lead role. Its full of magic and medievil politics, the poor and the wealthy, etc.

Blog Entries

To school I've just finished reading 'Aparição'... it's terrible it's more filosophie than a novel so I don't recomend it to no one, only to people who loves philosophie. Then appart from it I've been reading 'A reliquia', it's amazing by Eça de Queiros... I've laughed a lot with it (i give 9 coz there was one part that he make a scene like when jesus died and I dind't like that much) and I've just started 'The Sintra stress crime' and I'm in page 20 and it's being also cool! For people to read from all the world, I serioulsy think they should read the greatest poetist: Florbela Espanca I don't know if can find something translated... if you don't, I'll translate it because it's worth!

I haven't read a book for ages. The last one i read was LOTR: The Return Of The King.

Last I read was Trinity and Redemption by Leon Uris. They overlap, so they are one book to me. VERY long, but worth it. Some adult material, but nothing nasty. The plot is about the 'trinity' of Ireland. Catholics, Protestants and British. VERY good book. From the famine to Gallapolli and Easter REising, very historic.
    The last words of Oscar Wilde, to the wallpaper in his room - "One of us has to go"

The last book I read was Deception Point by Dan Brown, (or whatever the book is called). Everyone knows, or at least heard about, this book, so I don't really need to say anything about it.

I've been trying to find something interesting to read, but I'm having some difficulty mainly because I don't want to risk and waste my money with a bad book.

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~
    Ive not fully finished it, but Im enjoying The Magician's Guild by Trudi Canavan. Its the first book in the Black Magician Trilogy. It is a great read and your imagination runs riot with it. She does now how to grib her readers and I love the maturity of it. I was expecting something like Harry Potter, but its far from.

It does take awhile for it to get going and I love the character Sonea, its nice to see a magical female lead role. Its full of magic and medievil politics, the poor and the wealthy, etc.
    i love the sound of that !! thats my problem though!! i am drawn toward the same sort of thing! always horror /fantasy type books!!

has anyone read the Da Vinci Code??? i havnt got on board that book yet!

I'm two thirds of the way through Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom and I am enjoying it very much. It is probably the best book I've read in a long while, and has pretty much got me hooked into medieval historical fiction, as I started reading a few others in the genre as well ... I've got like 2 books going aside from TLK. I am just amazed as the fact that (SPOILER)Ragnar got killed off.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not quite finished it yet, but I'm currently reading Dune by Frank Herbert. I imagine a plot synopsis would be easy enough to find on the internet so I won't bother saying what it's about because I know I won't do it justice. Basically think of it as science fictions LOTR. The book manages to create a very deep, well thought out world, without seeming overwhelming with it's history and culture which really made it easy for me to get into it and stay hooked. I also think that the pacing is just about perfect. It doesn't take long to get going, and never seems to drag on like some books can. It's always pushing the story forward which helps me stay interested.

In the event you've seen the movie before, I would recommend not basing any opinion of the book on that, because the movie didn't do it justice at all. There was a three part mini series a few years back though that was every bit as brilliant as the book if you ask me, so if you've seen it, it's a good indicator of whether or not you'll like the book. I should also point out that there are, I believe, 6 books in the series. I'm not even through the first yet and I've already bought the next two.

has anyone read the Da Vinci Code??? i havnt got on board that book yet!
    The Da Vinci Code was excellent cause, for me, it was an easy reading style. I get bored with books with very small text and too much description. Puts me right off. I finished Da Vinci Code last year and Ive started on Angels & Demons now. Im not getting into it as much as I did with Da Vinci Code though.

I like Da Vinci Code because it looked at areas of Christanity that I wanted to ask questions bout. But because I came from a srtict Catholic school, I could never ask them. Looking foward to the film, but the book is always better!

I just finished Memoirs of a Geisha yesterday. My review? Absolutely fantastic. Excellent storyline and brilliant writing. The writer had a way of sucking you into the story and making you really care about the characters - brilliant.

10/10.

I just finished Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. It's more or less about satirizing the end of the world due to the foolishness of human nature. (SPOILER)The main character discovers the children of a famous scientist have in their possession Ice-Nine, a substance more deadly than the atomic bomb.

The chapters are really, really short, averaging about a page-and-a-half per chapter. I reccommend not only this, but Vonnegut's other books (i.e. Slaughterhouse Five, if you haven't read that)

8.5/10

Needs to stop disappearin Black Angel's Avatar

I've actually been reading an Anne Rice book; "Blackwood Farm". So far, I like it. i'm not sure, but have you read that one, lady yunalesca?

Da Vinci Code, Just finished it this morning. I liked it.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

What's the time mr wolf? man that was a really hard book.

Really, The Call of Cthulhu by H.P Lovecraft.

LET THE HAMMER FALL