Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dawn of Souls - How is it?

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

it has better graphics. more advanced everything, 4 extra dungeonswith bosses from FF3,4,5 and 6 and its much, much, much easier than the original FF1. FF2 though is still just as difficulkt as far as i know. ive not played the originals but FF" had some very hard parts. their both great games and if you dont want to buy origins for PS1 or the original for snes/nes (was there ever a nes version?) id definetly buy DoS.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

You have to think of what made FF1 good, when you decide what version to buy. What were FF1's perks? The plotline? Not to many. The gameplay is solid, but then, so is the gameplay of every other FF. In my oppinion, FF1's perk was its challenge. FF1 doesn't really offer anything other FFs haven't offered better except one thing: when SE made FF1, they didn't care if you saw the ending. The cutscenes didn't comprise 2/3 the budget of the game creation. FF1s perk is its unapologetic relentless challenge. EXP come slow, and monsters come frequently. FF1 DoS removes FF1's one defining quality. FF1 DoS is a fun game, but only for nostalgia. It's not "FF1" to me. It's "Dawn of Souls". FF1 was tedius, frustrating, challenging and deliberately inconvenient at any given opportunity, and the masochist in each of us loved it for it.

I thought DoS was really fun, but REALLY ridicously easy, i got level 45 without even trying or noticing, boss battles last about 1 turn, but i was using a wm/bm/ftr/monk but even so...The graphics are 5 times better then the old tho.

Still if you want a challenge go with 4 thiefs or 4 white mages or something like that actually 4 white mages would probably be the hardest. I still found it fun!

Not to mention it comes with FF2 which i played for a few min(havent had time to try it) and it seemed harder then FF1...

*yawn* DoS

DoS was pretty easy, even for never hving played the original NES version, lobger character names were nice, but it was a lot easier, especially if you're into the mages.

DoS is too easy. The Theif is way too strong, and MP/Ethers make Magic a lot less challenging. You can save anywhere, and on the whole, it basically feels "kiddified" or "cartoony" or soemthing. Origins isn't that hard either,b ut at least it's a little truer to the flavor of the opriginal. It's still too easy, tough..

If you want a decent challenge, go play the actual NES version - keep in mind that on the NES, you can only save with a Tent/Cabin/House or Inn, Your characters will attack enemies that are already dead, and the worst thing of all.... If you want to buy 99 potions at once, it'll take you half an hour to complete the transaction!

I'm not saying FF1 is the hardest RPG experience ever, but it's a lot tougher in its original form. Oh yeah, and don't use a Fighter. It'll be a lot more "brisk" of a challenge without the old sword-loving redhead in the mix.. I think that I'll be doing this shortly.

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

"You can't spell slaughter without 'laughter'!"
    I didn't know where to put that phrase...so I put it randomly.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

There are always ways to boost the dificulty level. Like, play through the game as a solo Red Mage (no class upgrade).
    When life gives you a cactus, hug it. When life gives you lemons, throw them back at life and say, "Lemons? Who ever heard of hugging lemons? give me a cactus!

Renial.tripod.com/: A budding Legend of Mana site

It is ok for something to play whislt travelling around. And Ł30 isnt bad for 2 games.

**possible spoilers I guess**

Everyone's accuracy seems increased. some just barely.. some siginificantly.

My Black Wizard was geting 6 or 7 hits, which I dont remember in origins.

Black Belt has been cut in half.. his damage is weakened, and his armor growth.
    Do not play a black belt in this game.. a Fighter is much better.
    My Master is 62, My Knight is 63.
    Normally as far as I remember.. a Master would be doing upwards of 2500 at this point.. but my Master keeps struggling to break 1000.. normally hitting 700-900
    My Knight by contrast is doing 550-800.

Spells are no longer randomized and seem to be based on intelligence.
    Dia1 always does 57-60 damage for white mage, not 20-80.
    Later on after getting the healing staffs.. it was odd to note that black belt used it for 28-33 to all, white mage 46-50 to all, and black mage 56-60 to all. This was a staff and it drew power from intelligence stat I guess. Spells seem to do 75% of their effectiveness, maybe 80%, if intelligence is normal.. IE say the original range was 40-160, it averages 120-130 damage 100% of the time unless resistances from enemy.

HP growth for white mage seems very high at first, and she/he overtook my fighter.

The regular game is EASY... EASY EASY EASY.
    Potions dropping from enemies.. random gear dropping from enemies.
    Buyable Hi Potions, Buyable ethers(i think), buyable Phoenix Downs, buyable EVERYTHING. No more just G Needle, Potion, antidote. Now with hi potions, Echo something(cures silence), Phoenix downs, Ethers.. its just crazy.

However, there is one place where the difficulty isnt easy.
    The extra dungeons pack a good punch.
    The upper levels of these dungeons are cake.. and random battles are just an annoyance(tho i've only been through earthgift and whisperwind so far...(dang whisperwind was long))

In the last 30% of these dungeons, the enemies ramp up pretty strong.. random enemies were hitting a 74 absorb Knight for 120+(200-300 on mages) it seemed. Also there were Flare casters in whisperwind. and yes flare does 300-400 damage even with ribbons. And they came two at a time.. thats a potential 600-800 damage in one turn

The extra bosses were hitting my knight for 300+ and it hurt a good bit.
    However Blink, white robe, Rune Staff(or heal staff before that), Protera...... repeat this about 6 times... and evasion and absorb were high enough that I didnt get hit much and it was more like 50s-150s instead of 200-500. Extra bosses also have the range of 10,000-40,000 ~ ish hp too. Giant Gloves x 5 + haste and my BB was hitting for around 4000, same for knight. it took quite a few turns to whiddle his HP down.. but once defenses were up, and offense boosted, it wasnt too hard.

Yes, the White Mage's HP growth is ridiculous. Mine is on level 14 and has like 280 HP, meanwhile my level 13 Red Mage barely has 100.

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

didn't play origins but played DoS, the only thing I like is that u can make as many combinations of parties on their. mine is fighter,red mage, white mage, and black mage( just started off)
    favorite FF games: all except the GC version

Omega weapon talking to squall,quitis,selphie"hello breakfest,lunch,and dinner"

Which FF Character Are You?

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I have a party of Thief, Red Mage, White Mage and Black Mage in FF1 DoS. No Fighter, but so far, it's been quite easy, and my characters gain levels very quickly. I haven't played it for a while, but I'll probably play it some day because of the extra dungeons. I actually like it that the Thief in DoS is doing damage so well, now he's more useful in battles. Otherwise, I think the WSC version is still my favorite. It's like FF1 Origins minus great music quality plus faster gameplay, no annoying translations (what's translated of the game is almost directly from the NES version) and no upupup or downdowndown bugs. As for challenge, I thought FF1 WSC was even harder than FF1 NES.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I'm over here killing Kraken in the Chaos shrine as we speak. One hand game, one hanf EoFF. I do have a problem with the whole "OMG FIEND TIME" when I'd walk up- He's dead. - to a staur... HOLY MITTENS MY WHITEMAGE WAS DEAD?.. staircase..... *Deranged laughter*There no phoenix downs.. Hhahah.. Hahahahha... ... when you go up to the stair case and get attacked by the fiend, in this case Kraken popped up a good 20 steps from the staircase. .. This so wrong. Well.. now that my white mage is out of comisson Tiamat's prolly going to own me, and if Tiamat doesn't own me, Chao's is about to have my head on a silver platter. *mumble*

Oh but.. I'd recomend it. <3.

Go for DoS.
    -Portable
    -Has FF2 which is different FF exp all together
    -Extra dungeons provide difficulty (although the random encounters were obnoxiously easy and often as the dungeon is huge)
    -Better graphics and higher caps
    -MP system

Now if for somereason u have a NES and will risk mixing the old with the new (TECH) then it might be worth it (havent played origon).

Otherwise wait for wii as u might be able to download all the originals!
    "Swordchucks Yo." - Fighter

"Every time I cast Hadoken it siphons a little bit of love out of the world to create a massive destructive explosions. They say the divorce rate goes up with each cast." - BM

How many swords could sword chucks chuck if sword chucks could chuck swords? Same goes with Nuns! :rolleyes2

"I cast Ice-9!" -RM

"I can steal stuff that isn't even there" -Thief (Yet he can't steal in the game)

Say, is it possible to disable the DoS bonuses so that I can play I in tune with Origins?
    Hisui & Kohaku: I play as them in Melty Blood.