Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fighter/Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage = the best party?

Banned

Default Fighter/Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage = the best party?

Really, isn't this the best party?
    You've got three powerhouses in the front, and in the back there's this jack-of-all-trades guy who can throw most good spells in the game AND attack.
    You basically got four fighters, a white mage and a black mage.
    Besides, the attack power will get rid of most enemies in the game, and once you've got the best swords in the game, you WILL be unstoppable!

Blog Entries

No not really, but i did it before, it sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by One Winged God View Post
    No not really, but i did it before, it sucked.
    lol

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I’ve tried it before, and I got stuck in that cave with those bats and zombies and junk like that.

Though that is where I usually get stuck.

Blog Entries

You're better off trading one of the fighters for a Thief since he can run good, can carry the same armor, use the Katana, and can, most importantly, give you extra FASTs.

I mean, the bottom line is that you got, what? Xcalibur, Sun Sword, Defense... Then what. The awesome swords are used up, and even the Sun sword is a little sappy. Once you have 3 Fighters, one carrying the Sun sword and leaving the RM for a crappy weapon, it becomes redundant.

i found this party very boring

Also you could heal or run well and you run out of good equipment as Martyr said

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

That party should make the game very easy, but it's not exactly the most interesting or varied party there is, and I think that Red Mage being the only mage in the party will hurt your magic casting abilities a lot. You won't be able to cast many spells, and you may especially have difficulties with large groups of enemies and undead monsters.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I'd use a white mage instead of a Red. Can Red Mages/Wizards use "Exit"? I know they can't use Harm (Dia), and I don't think they can use Heal or Life. Honestly, Harm (Dia) has saved my life, many times. When leaving the Earth Cave after fighting the Vampire or something, and you run into 8 geists. Those things love to stun you with every attack, so if you have your WM use HARM or HRM2, and if you have BM, have him use FIR2, and they're toast, assuming your mages don't get stunned.

My party is almost always Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, Black Mage. I've used other combinations for kicks, but I love that set up and it's the one I've been using since I first played the game, back in 1992ish.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Blog Entries

RedWiz can cast lv. 5 Life and Exit, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think it ever learns Cure4.

But it does suffice for white magic well enough if you have 3 other Cure casting Knights who rarely need to be cured in the first place.

I wouldn't underestimate the red magic.

Yeah, I guess I never have given a Red Mage a fair trial. I'll start a game with one, get to the Marsh Cave/Astos part of the game, then quit
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by feioncastor View Post
    Yeah, I guess I never have given a Red Mage a fair trial. I'll start a game with one, get to the Marsh Cave/Astos part of the game, then quit
    Bff. That's not necessary. You use a RM if it adapts to the needs of your party, that's it.

3 Knights don't need a WM because they aren't going to die or need healing as often, and they won't need the back up black magic much either. (The game greatly favors physical attack. I mean, the best black bagic Spell, aside from NUKE, is probably FAST, which is an attack buffer)

If you have, say, a F/T/?/BM then a RM might be a great replacement for a WM because it fights better than the thief in the beginning, and as good as the BM, and it heals. Later on, The Ninja and Knight won't need much healing (Ninja+Knight combo owns this game), and the RW will be able to fulfill those basic needs that the WW provides with simply a Life or a Cure3 or an Exit here and there. (BW always has WARP).

I've found that Black Magic will save you in certain fights, like using LIT2 on the Wizards guarding Astos' Crown, and of course, FAST on your Fighter and Black Belt.

Can the Red Mage/Wizard use AFIR, AICE and so forth?
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

I've found that Black Magic will save you in certain fights, like using LIT2 on the Wizards guarding Astos' Crown, and of course, FAST on your Fighter and Black Belt.

Can the Red Mage/Wizard use AFIR, AICE and so forth?

Yes, he can use those spells, but I never do. They are useless IMO.

Oh and all the fire spells >>>>>> all the harm spells. At least with the fire spells you can hurt undead and alive enemies.

Yes, but Fire1 can only hit one enemy, whereas HARM will hit all enemies, and it's a level 1 spell.

I don't think the AFIR and all them are useless. There's one that protects against all magic. Because of FF1's unusual damage formula, I can't say for sure, but it seems that AFIR actually lessens the damage done by Warmech's Nuclear.

I always use AFIR when I fight Kary, and so on. They really do make a difference. Typically, there's nothing else I can have my White Wizard do anyway. I may as well use AFIR. I'll sometimes have her (looks like a girl to me) use an item like Heal Helmet or Mage Staff.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Yes, but Fire1 can only hit one enemy, whereas HARM will hit all enemies, and it's a level 1 spell.
    Fire 1 is still better. I don't care if it only hits one enemy. In the beginning of the game thats pretty much all you need.

Typically, there's nothing else I can have my White Wizard do anyway. I may as well use AFIR. I'll sometimes have her (looks like a girl to me) use an item like Heal Helmet or Mage Staff.

Which is why the White Mage is the most useless class in this game. You said you never really used a red mage all the way? I suggest you do so. Because unlike the white mage, when spells are not needed, he can actually contribute to the battle with offensive spells (that can hurt all enemies) or physical attacks.