Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dawn of Souls - How is it?

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I think being able to save anywhere makes the game a lot easier. The thing that made Ice Cave so hard in NES/WSC/PSX was that enemies might ambush you and annihilate your party, forcing you to restart the dungeon. You no longer have to restart the dungeon if you keep saving all the time in the dungeon. Now you don't have to buy a Sleeping Bag or go to an Inn every time you want to save the game, either. I liked FFIVA's system where you can save in the world map and save points, and create a temporary quick save if you ever have to quit playing in the middle of a dungeon.

I played FF1 DoS yesterday, continuing with my party of Red Mage, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage. Their leveling up speed is huge, I think they were on level 16-17 when I went to the Marsh Cave. o_O Buying spells for three mages is quite expensive, but since the spells are cheaper now, even that is possible. My Black Mage has almost 200 MP, and both Fira and Thundara take 15 MP, so he could cast them in almost every "tough" battle in Marsh Cave (read: jellies or a large group of enemies).

With their newly added extra hits, this team was able to defeat four Hill Gigases in the peninsula NE of Pravoka on level 15. Haste + Temper + Protect (or Invisible) = battle won. The fact that you can buy Phoenix Downs and some status-healing items not present in NES, and that enemies can drop some very good items, will make things even easier. I got an Ice Shield from the enemies in the peninsula NE of Pravoka, though I don't have a Fighter/Knight or a Red Wizard, so I can't use it yet.

In short, FF1 DoS has so far been very easy.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

yeah it is pretty easy. i've spent like 37 hours on it and my characters are all level 99.

i've spent like 51 hours on FF2 and my best character has like 4000 HP. then spent an additional 15 hours on soul of rebirth. FF1 DoS is like a kids version a bit, but the Dos version of FF2 is regular difficulty i think.

Default The GBA Version

Did anybody else that played this version find it INCREDIBLY easy? However, with it was nice to kind of have a perfect translation finally (for spells and what not). Really felt like the final product (although I still think it sucks you can only get up to 999 hp and mp).

Also, what did you think about the added Dungeons? I blew through Earth Gift Dungeon pretty easily, and I just finished the new Fire dungeon too. It's pretty cool to fight against bosses from both FF Mystic Quest and FFIV. They've been the ONLY challenge thus far in the game for me and even then I didn't really have to fret.

I'm currently playing through the new Water dungeon, but I realized that at level 66, I'm going to absolutely destroy the final boss of this game . . . GBA version is toooooo easy.
    Final Fantasy Infusion - Live the Adventure

Yes, the ports of Final Fantasy seem to be getting easier and easier.

Though the GBA port, while probably the easiest port of Final Fantasy yet, is the most enjoyable so far, in my opinion. The only version I enjoy more is the original.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Threds marged.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    Yes, the ports of Final Fantasy seem to be getting easier and easier.

Though the GBA port, while probably the easiest port of Final Fantasy yet, is the most enjoyable so far, in my opinion. The only version I enjoy more is the original.
    Well, I'm not sure. FFII DoS was quite tough, and Souls of Rebirth was extremely hard for me. FFIVA had its difficulty toned down, but I think it was still harder than FFIV Easy Type.

As for FFI DoS, I quite agree with you. Even though it's easy, the gameplay is smooth and enjoyable. Walking through dungeons and towns, and also fighting battles, are all pretty quick in FFI DoS. I remember enjoying FFI Origins less because it just felt slower. I think FFI WSC is the best if you want smooth and fast gameplay with the original difficulty. FFI DoS is like a mix, having enjoyable gameplay like FFI WSC had, and having good translation and music quality like FFI Origins had (even if GBA can't reach PSX's sound quality).
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I've only played I and II in DoS and even then it almost drove me insane! I guess it wasn't easy for me because it was my first play through for both games.....if I did play the NES version it would very likely kill me

The high encounter rate was mostly what took the fun out of it for me. This game had the worse out of all FF games!

I know exactly what you mean! I'm sorta glad FFXII is getting rid of the random encounter thing and having all enemies visible on screen. In retrospect, random encounters was the worst invention for RPGs. But considering the limitations the programmers had when they were making this game, it works out for the best. But NEVER again should we gamers be subjected to such torture :P.

BTW, is Omega the most difficult Enemy in this game? I'm playing through the last extra dungeon . . . saw a bunch of FFIV and FFVI bosses waiting for me which was cool, but nobody was as hard as Omega. He actually ALMOST killed me ... almost.
    Final Fantasy Infusion - Live the Adventure

DoS FFI is definitely easier then the NES version, though I think the DoS version is more fun and user-friendly; No more attacking mosters that are already dead, you can save anywhere, no more taking a hour to buy 99 potions, and the updated magic system (I prefer the MP system then the system the NES version uses) is good, so is the updated equiptment and items system.

im not a big fan of handheld systems anymore. you should just get origins, its the best and if you play it on ps2 there are no loading issues, same with chronicles and anthology.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by The Knights of the Round View Post
    im not a big fan of handheld systems anymore. you should just get origins, its the best and if you play it on ps2 there are no loading issues, same with chronicles and anthology.
    That's not true on any of the 3 PS2s I've tried them on. For Anthology anyway, Origins loading times were pretty short compared to the ones in Anthology. This is most likely due to the fact that the game was remade, not ported, like Anthology. Therefore, most elements in the game that are accessed a lot would be made sure to be partially or fully preloaded. Unlike in Anthology, where it had to access the CD to display a mere menu.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I'm hoping Finalbob42 isn't still on the fence about this, a half a year later. Save your phoenix downs for your allies, don't use them on threads!