Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Da Vinci Code material

Evastio every form of christianity is man made.
    And more on topic I would suggest reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail Saphire.
    Last edited by Ballistix Man; 05-05-2006 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio
    Well think about this: Once the authors of the Da Vinci code die, the believers of the Da Vinci code are going to decrease. When the Apostles and Jesus died, their believers were still increasing. The believers (Catholics) still exist today even after 1973 years. If the authors were to die today, people would've totally forgotten about the Da Vinci code in 1973 years. Things made by men never last. Things made by God do.
    Yeah, because the Bible is the only old book/story still read today. Not to mention that most of the theories in The DaVinci Code have been around far longer than the book itself.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

Anyways ~SapphireStar~ like Maxico said, don't let those books influence you. There's enough traitors to the Catholic church as it is.
    You're kind of missing my point there. I don't agree with censorship simply for the sake of withholding information. I think that everything should be put up to debate and the entire 'LALALA NOT LISTENING' approach alot of religons show is stupid.

However, the Da Vinci Code is trite. If you're interested in the theory in question there are other sources of information that don't happen to be cheap thrillers.
    Word/s.

U.S. News Magazine just released a special edition a couple of days ago looking at the fact and fiction(true or false) statements from the novel. It's a really good read and details a lot from the book on what the author made up and researched. I would highly recommend it. The information is concise and unbiased.
    And for the record, Mr. Evastio, reading a large variation of books increases one's knowledge and awareness of the world around them. That's why people fear them so much.
    ~SapphireStar~ I would get that US News Magazine, it looks really deep into the facts and myths on that subject. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyjunkie
    U.S. News Magazine just released a special edition a couple of days ago looking at the fact and fiction(true or false) statements from the novel. It's a really good read and details a lot from the book on what the author made up and researched. I would highly recommend it. The information is concise and unbiased.
    And for the record, Mr. Evastio, reading a large variation of books increases one's knowledge and awareness of the world around them. That's why people fear them so much.
    ~SapphireStar~ I would get that US News Magazine, it looks really deep into the facts and myths on that subject. Have fun!
    Nice to know.. I need to pick that up.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My friend's mom was really into the whole idea of the Magdalene story and the Knights Templar and lots of other things, but when she read Holy Blood, Holy Grail she basically said that it puts passages from the original texts of the Bible (or the oldest texts, if there were no originals) and did etymological, anthropological and historical research to show mishaps in translations, double meanings, possible hidden meanings and things like that. Their basic take on it is that Jesus of Nazareth could have just been a venerated rabbi who had a family, which I think is entirely possible, and that the Knights Templar are people descended from the original Apostles to protect that bloodline. I don't remember of Holy Blood, Holy Grail makes any mention of the Catholic church, but everything I'm talking about comes from hearsay, which may or may not be entirely accurate. If anyone else has read the book, please correct me!

Signature by rubah. I think.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The fact that the Priory of Sion has been proven a hoax and it's supposed last grandmaster, Pierre Plantard, doctored documents in the 1950's pertaining to the "organizations" activites during the seventeeth century, including falsifiying the names of previous grandmasters like Leonardo Da Vinci, leads me to believe that the book is complete garbage, especially the beginning which states the Priory of Sion as Fact.

Thanks for that, Im going to try my newsagents and my grandmas newagents cause one of them is sure to be able to order it for me! Thanks fantasyjunkie

Well think about this: Once the authors of the Da Vinci code die, the believers of the Da Vinci code are going to decrease. When the Apostles and Jesus died, their believers were still increasing. The believers (Catholics) still exist today even after 1973 years. If the authors were to die today, people would've totally forgotten about the Da Vinci code in 1973 years. Things made by men never last. Things made by God do.
    Hi, nobody is treating the Da Vinci Code as a new Bible. THere aren't followers of it. It is a work of fiction. It's not going to convert you to Vincism. It's a story. Catholics can read it. Anybody can read it. It is not Satan. It is a fairy tale.

<s>Kind of like the Bible.</s>

EDIT: Also, the pyramids seems to be lasting a good while. And Extra gum. That lasts forever! And don't get me started on Energizer batteries.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    The fact that the Priory of Sion has been proven a hoax and it's supposed last grandmaster, Pierre Plantard, doctored documents in the 1950's pertaining to the "organizations" activites during the seventeeth century, including falsifiying the names of previous grandmasters like Leonardo Da Vinci, leads me to believe that the book is complete garbage, especially the beginning which states the Priory of Sion as Fact.
    Well, I work part time at a bookstore and when I shelve this book it goes into the "FICTION" section of the store The US News magazine I picked up says basically the same thing.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am aware that the book is a work of fiction, however, Dan Brown states at the beginning that the Priory of Sion is an actual religious organization. This is not part of the fictional story. So the reader is then led to assume that when they read about the Priory of Sion in the fictional text that it is indeed real. The problem with this is such investigative trickery then leads readers to assume that other parts of the fictional work are also "fact".

After seeing all the debates and arguments over the Da vinci code I'm starting to believe this guy wrote the book and then went around internet forums and started laughing at all the people arguing about the book. I know I'd do something like that to fill the free time.

Nah. He's laughing at us while he's rolling on his giant piles of hundred dollar bills.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Come one guys, can we please stick to the topic? Im interested in material outside the DVC. I dont care about DB browsing forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~
    Come one guys, can we please stick to the topic? Im interested in material outside the DVC. I dont care about DB browsing forums.
    Seriously. Back on topic, the movie is going to rock the house, at least in the States...and even more specifically, in my home country of California. There's crazy buzz about this movie.

Also, Sapphire Star, I've read both The Magdalene Legacy and Holy Blood, Holy Grail.
    I don't know who told you the information in your first post, but Holy Blood, Holy Grail DOES shed light on the ideas discussed in DVC. The book goes into great historical and religious detail, so I would definitely recommend you check it out if you want more information. It's well over 400 pages and provides copious amounts of information on everything in the Da Vinci Code, plus a smurfload more.

The second book, The Magdalene Legacy, is next to worthless. It takes a winding, unfounded approach to the bloodline of Christ by actually naming the children of Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene and citing specific events from their lives. Unlike Holy Blood, Holy Grail, this book has almost no historical or logical support for the fantastical scenarios it creates.

Stick with Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and after that check out the Messianic Legacy.

I hope everyone knows by now that Mary Magdalene was really Jesus's wife and they had children and that those children were protected by a secret organization called the Ordre de Sion. Yes, it's true.

Oh, and Mary Magdalene is a goddess that needs to be worshipped.

P.S. I'm serious.

-LYCHON
    Last edited by Lychon; 05-06-2006 at 11:48 AM.