Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Da Vinci Code material

Default Da Vinci Code material

Ok Im not someone who has jumped onto the Dan Brown fan wagon. Of course I am a fan of his, but his topic in DVC I have questioned since I was a child, eg is the Bible telling us everything? So of course the DVC was a breakthrough for me because I could never go agasint my faith coming fron a Catholic background.

Now I want to look more into the subject and I want to know what books are good for looking more at the (SPOILER)Jesus bloodline.

I thought about getting "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh. This was the one that took Dan Brown to court, Ive been told to avoid it because it doesnt shed anymore light on the matter because Dan Brown has explained most of it in DVC.

The one I thought would be good is "The Magdalene Legacy: The Jesus and Mary Bloodline Conspiracy - Revelations Beyond The Da Vinci Code" by Laurence Gardner. Ive been told to aviod that one because it was plainly rubbish.

So has anyone read either of these and can say anything posertive or are there others out there that are better? It would help me because the Bible has always fasinated me, but I want to go beyond its "cover" story.

Oh and remember, cinemas worldwide: 19th May

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~
    So of course the DVC was a breakthrough for me because I could never go agasint my faith coming fron a Catholic background.
    You're Catholic? I thought I was the only Catholic person here on Eyes on FF.
    I thought about getting "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh. This was the one that took Dan Brown to court, Ive been told to avoid it because it doesnt shed anymore light on the matter because Dan Brown has explained most of it in DVC.

The one I thought would be good is "The Magdalene Legacy: The Jesus and Mary Bloodline Conspiracy - Revelations Beyond The Da Vinci Code" by Laurence Gardner. Ive been told to aviod that one because it was plainly rubbish.
    Yes. Avoid those books. Anything that isn't written/approved by the pope that involves the Catholic religeon should be ignored.
    So has anyone read either of these and can say anything positive or are there others out there that are better? It would help me because the Bible has always fasinated me, but I want to go beyond its "cover" story.
    I haven't read them. If I did I wouldn't be Catholic anymore. Practically all Catholic books are better than the 2 you just mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio
    So of course the DVC was a breakthrough for me because I could never go agasint my faith coming fron a Catholic background.

Yes. Avoid those books. Anything that isn't written/approved by the pope that involves the Catholic religeon should be ignored.
    So has anyone read either of these and can say anything positive or are there others out there that are better? It would help me because the Bible has always fasinated me, but I want to go beyond its "cover" story.
    I haven't read them. If I did I wouldn't be Catholic anymore. Practically all Catholic books are better than the 2 you just mentioned above.
    What.
    You can read books and still be Catholic. In case nobody told you.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio

Just to note, it's not likely that you'll find any books on this subject that is approved by the pope. You pretty much just told her to stop researching the subject.

And think outside the box. There are other opinions out there, besides the popes. It's called "thinking for yourself".
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

Blog Entries

Someone here has obviously failed high school history.

If you restrict yourself to books that will only say what you want them to say then ask yourself the question, what are you really learning?

It's better for you to look into those books you've mentioned and decide for yourself if they're rubbish. You will have to look at them objectively and with an open-mind.

Hope that wasnt aimed at me. And is that what Americans call Religious Studies? History? History to us is a completely different subject, well in my Catholic school it was.
    Just to note, it's not likely that you'll find any books on this subject that is approved by the pope.
    Thats what I thought, the current pope is trying to ban the DVC because he sees it as blasphemy. So I doubt he would write anything on the subject.

Hope that wasnt aimed at me. And is that what Americans call Religious Studies? History? History to us is a completely different subject, well in my Catholic school it was.
    It's the same way in the US. I think that was aimed more at Evastio.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

It's an airport page turner. Not a particulary good one at that.

You really shouldn't be making life affecting descisions as a direct consiquence of reading it.
    Word/s.

It's an airport page turner. Not a particulary good one at that.

You really shouldn't be making life affecting descisions as a direct consiquence of reading it.
    Whats an airport turner? I wasnt tlaking about reading the DB novel, Ive done so. Im after material about it. And this isnt going to change my life, Im still going to be Catholic after Ive read the material. It just interests me.

I mean it's cheaply written and on par with any other thriller you'd find in an airport bookstore. Entertaining perhaps, but in no way 'great'. It's only achieved the popularity it has through hi-jacking an interesting subject.

If the subject matter intruiges you, by all means look into it. But don't try to base important decisions on a cheap thriller.
    Word/s.

I know what an airport turner is, I was asking you what in this thread did you consider an airport turner. You meant the DVC, but I wasnt asking opinions on DBs work, I was asking about other material linked to it.

But don't try to base important decisions on a cheap thriller.
    Im not going to. At what point did I state that I may change my life? The DVC hasnt made me hate the Church for possibly having conspiracys. Im just saying that since I was a child the secret life of Christ has fasinated me, but because Im from a Catholic background I was limited to what I should know. So it was a big help for me, cheap thriller or not.

That's nice. Just try to keep in mind that the book is primarily fiction.
    Word/s.

Yes I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Rain
    I think that was aimed more at Evastio.
    I never took history in high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
    You can read books and still be Catholic. In case nobody told you.
    It's still a bad idea though. Even though it isn't an sin to read Da Vinci Code books it could lead you to sin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Rain
    Just to note, it's not likely that you'll find any books on this subject that is approved by the pope. You pretty much just told her to stop researching the subject.

And think outside the box. There are other opinions out there, besides the popes. It's called "thinking for yourself".
    Well think about this: Once the authors of the Da Vinci code die, the believers of the Da Vinci code are going to decrease. When the Apostles and Jesus died, their believers were still increasing. The believers (Catholics) still exist today even after 1973 years. If the authors were to die today, people would've totally forgotten about the Da Vinci code in 1973 years. Things made by men never last. Things made by God do.

Anyways ~SapphireStar~ like Maxico said, don't let those books influence you. There's enough traitors to the Catholic church as it is.

Im not 100% Catholic though, I have sinned, well sex before marriage sinned. I dont think reading more on the DVC will lead me to sin. I would never go and chose another faith because Ive been a Catholic all my life, but I sinend because I was a horny teenager.

Once the authors of the Da Vinci code die, the believers of the Da Vinci code are going to decrease.
    I dont think there are any followers of this book. The idea of Jesus having a family has floating around before it was written. "Last Temptation of Christ" featured Jesus having sex with Mary Madgelene, which made the film get banned for awhile. People have always questioned the Bible because 11 years of our Lords life has been missed out if I recall, havent read it in a while, shame on me.