Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mexico Plans to legalize drugs

Default Mexico Plans to legalize drugs

http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/1...egalizes_Drugs

MEXICO CITY - The United States reacted cautiously on Saturday to a Mexican measure that would make it legal to carry small amounts of cocaine, heroin and other drugs for personal use.

News of the decriminalization did not make the front pages of any major Mexico City newspaper, nor was it discussed in editorials. It was slightly better publicized in the north of the country, where turf wars between rival drugs gangs have caused hundreds of killings along the Mexico-U.S. border, but was still overshadowed by news about immigration.

President Vicente Fox has yet to sign the bill, which would eliminate penalties for those caught with small amounts of some drugs, but his office has applauded it.

Mexican lawmakers have said the bill will let authorities focus on major drug traffickers and not clutter prisons with small-time offenders.

Easier to prosecute violators?
    U.S. Embassy spokeswoman Judith Bryan said Saturday the measure could actually make it easier to prosecute drug crimes because it attempts to “precisely specify the amount of narcotics in possession of a suspect to allow a criminal prosecution.”

“Preliminary information from Mexican legislative sources indicates that the intent of the draft legislation is to clarify the ‘small amounts’ of drugs for personal use as stated in current Mexican law,” she said.

Mexican law already left open the possibility of dropping charges against people caught with drugs if they are considered addicts and if “the amount is the quantity necessary for personal use.” The new bill drops the “addict” requirement — automatically letting any “consumers” have drugs — and sets out specific allowable quantities.

In Mexico City’s stylish Zona Rosa neighborhood, Mexicans and tourists alike were surprised to hear it could soon be legal to carry small amounts of drugs.

Mexicans at odds over law’s impact
    Drug violence “will drop because there will be less pressure on the people who consume drugs,” said Francisco Garrido, who was selling orange juice at a sidewalk stall.

But Berta Perez, an antique store owner, worried that drug sales would bring young budget travelers and spook away well-heeled tourists.

If signed by Fox, purchasing drugs “would be like buying a cigarette on the street,” she said.

Washington has long praised the Fox administration for its anti-drug efforts.

Since the president took office in December 2000, several key drug lords have been captured, including Benjamin Arellano Felix, the suspected operations chief of a Tijuana-based drug gang bearing his family’s name, and Osiel Cardenas, the accused head of the Gulf cartel, thought mainly to operate along Mexico’s border with Texas.

Yet drug addiction is growing in Mexico, especially in border cities like Tijuana.

John Morgan, a retired school psychologist visiting Mexico City from Grand Junction, Colo., said it makes sense for the country to decriminalize marijuana — but that harder drugs maybe should not be included.

“We have put people in jails for years for marijuana, something that is probably less harmful than alcohol,” he said. “But the list here is a little too global, there are several classes of drugs which are quite harmful.”

Good Idea and Bad Idea Mixed into one.....I kind of like it.

If mexico was a smart government they would sell the Margoowana just like tobaco and make a stilling on the proffits, and then maybe mexico wouldn't be such a dump becuase of the Revenues of drugs.
    Signature removed for exceeding the 50KB filesize limit. Please refer to the Signature Service thread in the Help Forum for the rules regarding signatures.

~Void

John Morgan, a retired school psychologist visiting Mexico City from Grand Junction, Colo., said it makes sense for the country to decriminalize marijuana — but that harder drugs maybe should not be included.
    I agree with this. Ive heard of marijuana been used for personal use, (heck my nana smoked some to stop feeling her leg pains) but harder stuff I havent heard of it being helpful.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If signed by Fox, purchasing drugs “would be like buying a cigarette on the street,” she said.
    UCSD students must be rejoicing.

Wouldnt there be a way to abuse this idea? Its like giving in almost.

yeah it would be very easy to abuse.

but they really don't care. The problem is to bad to control becuase they would have to imprison well over half of mexico. So they don't waste time with the users only the dealers. Cut the problem at the root.

what I think they might do is if they find someone with drugs they will just ask were they got it and let them go. But more than likely this is just going to Backfire into there faces but we will see.
    Signature removed for exceeding the 50KB filesize limit. Please refer to the Signature Service thread in the Help Forum for the rules regarding signatures.

~Void

Personally I never liked my country (Canada) legalizing pot, so I'm not happy with Mexico legalizing any drugs.

Why? Well, I realize that there are reasons to do it. It's easier for people who are very sick and actually need these forms of drugs, as a health improvement, to get them. Also, it obviously relieves the police from a whole sh*tload of work so they can focus on other issues. And I do realize that some people are addicted to this stuff and can't get off it, so they obviously get a huge break. But my country has legalized pot, and all it's done is let under-age addicts abuse pot and let more people easily start abusing it, just like ciggarettes.

And you know what? Substance abuse is already costing a lot out of our health budget. In Canada we have free health care, and yes that's a good thing, but it still comes out of our taxes. A lot of our tax money goes straight into dealing with all this substance abuse (as a recent study will attest to).

So frankly Mexico's goverment is making a pretty foolish move! Do they want huge substance abuse costs? It's just going to go higher with legalizing!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

GTA San Andreas anyone?

THis is going to turn out bad but it's a fun idea.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

Marijuana...perhaps. Cocaine and heroin...no.

Indeed, I do having a feeling that this idea will be so abused and it will cause so many problems for them.

I thought the bill was vetoed. An article from the 29th about politics can very easily not apply anymore.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori
    I thought the bill was vetoed. An article from the 29th about politics can very easily not apply anymore.
    Yeah, the bill passed the Mexican legislature, but Fox didn't sign it. He sent it back to the legislature for changes, saying that the drugs will never be legalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    Yeah, the bill passed the Mexican legislature, but Fox didn't sign it. He sent it back to the legislature for changes, saying that the drugs will never be legalized.
    That's a good sign.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    That's a good sign.
    <a href="http://hammeroftruth.com/2006/05/03/vincente-fox-denied-use-of-his-own-cojones-by-the-us/">Not really.</a>

The marijuana part I applaud. I'm a little hesitant on the rest.

If they really want something like this, I say they push for Marijuana only. There's alot of middle ground with weed and it is possible for it to be legalized, still. But adding herion and cocaine to the bill is like asking for an automatic veto.

I hope marijuana get legalized there. It might change some minds here if it works out, and I think it will.

And again, I'd like to state that I don't really smoke weed. I just think it's retarded that it's illegal.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER