Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenogears? Any good?

Default Xenogears? Any good?

I want to try this game, but I don't know if its any good. Is the story just as deep as xenosaga? Or is it deeper?

If your life had a face, I'd punch it in the dick.

Another Xenosaga fan yeeesss! O_o

Err- On topic

I love Xenogears. It was done by much of the same team... Er moreso Episode I than II

The english translation of it is quite frankly horrible though.

It's like 80 hours long too, which is basically all three Episodes for the price of one. On Amazon the sucker is like 15 bucks, go buy it ^_^

Gears and Saga, though not directly connected, share many similarities and likenesses. So if you like the story of Saga, you will like the story of Gears.

Just beware of Xenogears second disc, where things get...different.

So there are Xenosaga fans on here

Ummm, back on topic

Okay, I'll look into it, thanks.

If your life had a face, I'd punch it in the dick.

XG > XS. And I loved Disk 2. It really started to pull you into the story then. And its so much deeper than XS, and the characters have a lot more appeal in my opinion. Better music, which better fits the moods. And the mech battles .... in fact, battles in general. Gah. I really dunno what went through their heads while making XS. I like everything about XG more than XS. 3D anime sprites <3

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Xenogears is far superior to Xenosaga. It's one of my favorites, an awesome and engaging storyline and all that.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Everything about Xenogears is better than Xenosaga, easily.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Play Xenogears, but stop before Disc 2, and imagine what the rest of the story is like in your head. Seriously, it'd probably be more fun than "playing" through Disc 2.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Xenogears is an acquired taste, but if you can get into it, it's most definitely worth your time. As for being better than Xenosaga, I'd say "yes" and "no". As far as the plot goes, it's far more in-depth, interesting, and engaging. The battle system is unique, instead of Xenosaga's slightly more un-original battle system. But the game does suffer from being boring sometimes, whereas Xenosaga was a faster-paced game, always keeping you involved.

Give it a try.

Deeper than Xenosaga? I thought Saga was as deep and cryptic as it gets. o.O
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

I played Gears first, but liked Saga better. I'm a crazy kitten like that so ignore my letters they will only seduce you to the dark side.

Deeper in terms of length and basic storytelling. Xenosaga was certainly more in-depth in terms of backstory and overall plot.

Can't say anything about Gears, but Saga is easily my favorite game out there. Much better than any FF, though I too want to try Gears. I've heard good things.

Don't stop at disk 2. Just 'cause you're not as actively involved in the story doesn't mean the story itself isn't still as interesting. In fact I think it gets more interesting as you go into disk 2. Its pure story, which I think is XG's finest quality. Its strained, distilled, and unadulterated XG gold. Not so much wandering around aimlessly and getting in pointless random encounters.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk
    Don't stop at disk 2. Just 'cause you're not as actively involved in the story doesn't mean the story itself isn't still as interesting. In fact I think it gets more interesting as you go into disk 2. Its pure story, which I think is XG's finest quality. Its strained, distilled, and unadulterated XG gold. Not so much wandering around aimlessly and getting in pointless random encounters.
    Where they focused on story, they forgot about those little items such as logical plot development, cutscenes, effective narrative and gameplay. It is a game after all. I felt like I was watching a really bad play for most of the second disc. Sitting back watching people sat in chairs chatting about all these really cool things that you wish you could actually see happening, only to be interlaced with a random plot element that makes no sense that you really wish you weren't involved in makes for a poor excuse to finish off a storyline as quickly as possible with a barrage of Deus Ex Machina.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

People's biggest gripe seems to be that they are no longer actively involved in the plot. Its not like it was less linear in disk one. Monolith was under pressure from Square. Short on time. They had to make a choice. They had this huge storyline going. So it was either get it all in there and start telling it to us more than letting us run through it. Or start chopping it up just so we can run around more and jump around and get in fights. Its an interesting style of narrative for a video game. Much in the vein of a point and click adventure. Its told to you, you act within it from time to time. You're being told a story. An awesome one. The story itself was convoluted and confusing most of the time anyway, so it didn't bother me that disk 2 was more so.

Honestly, since I think they chose such an interesting style, I think I could have lived with most of the game that way. Its fascinating and trippy to me to get inside the characters heads and attempt to peice together the mysteries of the plot, a lot of which is purposely left open ended for interpretation. The story itself is so deeply philosophical and theological, it seems fitting.

But I'd vote for the plot and narrative before gameplay anyday. At least the gameplay issue isn't clunky controls or something equally crippling.