Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the PS2 ruin TVs?

Default Does the PS2 ruin TVs?

Hey guys, I'd just like a second opinion on this. When I first got my PS2, I had it hooked up to one TV set for a while. After about a year, this TV's picture quality became scrambled and pretty much unviewable, which I attributed to its age--the set was almost eleven years old. So a few years ago, I bought a TV set solely for playing my PS2. Well, I've had it for about three years now, using it almost every day, and in the last few months the picture has been gradually losing quality and getting rather wavy...like lines swirling all over the screen. Which is pretty distracting. I thought for a while it was the connections, but I realize now it has nothing to do with wires--the screen is just messed up. And this time I can't say the TV is old. The coincidence is pretty uncanny, as both TVs I ever used my PS2 with have gotten messed up. I am now hesitating to buy the plasma I've been aiming for. So I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with long-term PS2 use on a single TV set, or has any thoughts to offer. I'm pretty sad right now.
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I dunno for sure. In the instruction booklets, it says to be careful when using a projection screen, but this is different...

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Using a TV every day for three years is bound to do something for the picture quality.

So this is a thing that happens to all TVs after several years?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel411
    So this is a thing that happens to all TVs after several years?
    I've been using the same tv set for 3 years and it still works fine. I pretty much use it every day at least once all though there have been some exceptions.

I've never noticed this happening on any of my TV's, and the TV in my house has been used almost every day for the past few years.

I used the same tv for 3 years (specially 3 years ago, I think I didn't turn off the PS2 in two weeks playing GT3 with my brother, but it never was turned off and neither the tv) and it haven't damaged a bit, and now I'm using a old tv ( is older than me T.T ) and is working perfectly.

... Wow, until now I hadn't notice that my PS2 is a veteran and it haven't been damaged a bit until now, actually, it hadn't malfuntion in all this time... COOOOL...

Maybe I just have a crappy TV then. Alright, I'm going for the plasma. And if it gets ruined I'm sueing Meat Puppet.

Blog Entries

The TV in my bedroom is mighty old, at least ten years. I use it everyday and the PS2's connected up permanently. I've never experienced any problems. In fact, the newer television set out in the living room is already going whereas mine continues to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel411
    Maybe I just have a crappy TV then. Alright, I'm going for the plasma. And if it gets ruined I'm sueing Meat Puppet.
    n.nU save yourself Meat, looks like she will sue you for sure n.n

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

it shouldnt, if its purplish on one side, move whatever electrical thing is next to it, like a subwoofer or something..

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa
    it shouldnt, if its purplish on one side, move whatever electrical thing is next to it, like a subwoofer or something..
    Or greendish... actually, check also all suspicius conections in your tv

nah, not at all. I've been playing video games for 20 years now and never had a system ruin a TV. Going through my 2nd ps2 now(first one wore out) and the TV is still good to go

Im clueless on this one, I dont think PS2's ruin TV's though, I had a TV for 8 years and used it daily, with a console hooked up to it and it still works fine.
    Ive gotten a HD now, and it works fine on that as well. I reckon you've been getting your TV's from some dodgy place or something.

The TV that used to be connected to the PS2 in my house decided that its speakers were not a vital function. Using earphones meant sitting very close to screen and rarely being able to hear anything at top volume (especially when watching TV).
    "Reality is that which,
    when you stop believing in it,
    doesn't go away".
    Philip K. Dick