Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VIII ending ?

Default Final Fantasy VIII ending ?

I am totally at a lose. I dont' understand what happened? Who is Laguna? Many people say they love this ending but I'm not getting it.. Can anyone drop any hints or just outright tell me what the ending is about?

I don't think it's ever flat-out said, but Laguna is Squall's father and Raine was his mother. There was that person in whatever town it was where Raine's bar is that that says Raine had a son, and then Kiros says that "Squall looks like his father but has his mother's eyes." in Esthar City.

Are you confused about anything else?

Thanks for the sig VoodooChild!

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled
    Who is Laguna?
    Who is Squall?

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

As with most things in life, this problem can be solved with Diagrams;

There is no signature here. Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power
    As with most things in life, this problem can be solved with Diagrams;

Diagrams indeed solve anything.

the ending is about laguna when he asked raine to marry him they are both squall's perants.... and squall was lost in the time trying hard to go back but failing then rinoa bring him back using love and so on.... seifer goes back to his original life with raijin and fujin.... laguna live happily with ellone and kiros and ward and not forgetting his wife.... the six heros live happily togather in the garden and rinoa and squall be lovers... living happily ever after.. tata.. done.
    I <3 you Polaris
    ~Antratica forum~ You know you want to join =p

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled
    I am totally at a lose. I dont' understand what happened? Who is Laguna? Many people say they love this ending but I'm not getting it.. Can anyone drop any hints or just outright tell me what the ending is about?
    To add on to what Lakenbelle said, there was a part in the game in which the moombas tasted Squall's blood then thought he was Laguna. The only reason the moombas could think that they're blood is the same is, because Laguna and Squall are related. And because Laguna is actually older than it reads in the book he's old enough to be Squall's father. In the booklet is says Laguna is 27 (I believe) which is only true in the flashback sequences Squall's half-sister, Ellone, triggers. In real time Laguna is in his 40's. If you look closely at the end when Laguna is at Raine's grave you will see that his eyes have slight wrinkles and around his mouth. As for the ending, that's up for interpretation. My opinion of the ending is not a very good one so I won't say anything further.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Laguna and Raine are Squall's parents. In addition, Julia and General Caraway are Rinoa's parents.

And rofl at Captain's chart. xD

Awesome, its like fate or something that Squall meets his Father's passionate never had love's daughter... interesting... Thanks for the diagram and replys, I stopped playing FF 8 for a while came back to playing it towards the end of the 3rd disk and realized I didnt' remember anything about the storyline, cause it was pretty complex, but you guys helped clear it up.. now I feel like I'lll have to play the game again to appreciate the actual story more since I didn't get it the 1st time around.

u r welcome mate.... anything anytime ... ^_-
    I <3 you Polaris

I was first caught in a trance at the ending when they showed Rinoa at the garden party, and with no face.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah...that was creepy...

so when the time Rinoa found Squall why is he dead??
    so if he's not dead why Rinoa is crying
    and how did he revive?? by using phoenix down??

oh and how did he died?? who killed him??

If you have something else to say, please use the edit button instead of posting twice! -kikimm

Basically, after defeating Ultimecia, time started to de-compress. This opened up the possibility for the party to will themself back to their own time again, as you see Selphie and Quistis etc. doing after the battle. However, for this to work, it is essential to have faith in others (as Laguna explains before disc 4, it's all about love, friendship and courage etc.). Squall does NOT have faith in others, due to his continued inability to rely on anyone but himself (ie. his 'lone wolf' attitude).

Because of this, Squall's attempts to get back don't work, and after first going to the Orphanage, he ends up getting lost in a time warp of sorts. This time-warp reacts to his thoughts, emotions and memories (again, like Laguna talks about), which explains the landscape he's in; he thinks he's completely lost and alone, so the time warp looks like a vast, barren landscape. Then he gives up, and think's he's stuck for good, and the time warp now looks like a tiny island from which there is truly no escape.

Finally, his thoughts turn to Rinoa, but since his emotions are all messed up, the time warp only shows twisted images of Rinoa. All this stress and despair eventually leads to him collapsing. Now, there's no way of telling exactly what happened to him (did he faint or die?), but in the end it doesn't matter, because Rinoa (using her love towards Squall) is able to find him, awaken him, and together (using the 'power of love') they break free of the time warp and end up back in their own time.

I would say Squall merely fainted, because that enables Squall to have been woken up merely by Rinoa hugging him, but one might speculate that Rinoa's powers woke him from the dead.

no one killed him...... my believe say that he traviled far into the future where he can not exist so he tried to remember but faild as he was driffting so away....... other people say that he just went breserk and lost himself in his sad memories that he was unable to go back.......why rinoa cried? because she thought that he was dead or he was....how he revived..? unless he was dead he came back to life when he reached his time or that her magical powers revived him....i think that's all.. it is a little complex but you can manage to understand it dude...^_^
    I <3 you Polaris