Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should this game be called 'Final Fantasy 9'?

Default Should this game be called 'Final Fantasy 9'?

Before the release of this game Square couldn't decide whether to call it 'Final Fantasy 9' or not because of how different it is between the change over VI-VII-VIII. Some said
    "It's not 'futuristic' like VIII and needs more 'realism' and a more 'human' cast." like when you compare VIII to VII and VII to VI. Others said
    "But it's showing where FF has been what it's going to be, like an 'evolution' rather than a 'revolution'."
    "If this game is about all old-school final fantasy's, then it should be a seperate game like Tactics."
    "But it's not a seperate game, it's all the games and an advancement, or rather a summary or finale"
    "But how can you be sure we'll end it here?"

Lots of things to talk about. So is 'Final Fantasy IX' it's real title?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, considring there's over 10 of the games, "Final Fantasy" is a stupid name anyway. That's not my opinion. I'm just looking at it from that angle.

I thought that too. :laughing:

FFXIV Character

Shiromoto Tatsuji (Siren)

You know, the very first ones were all like back in the age and not very futuristic themselves with so many villages and stuff so it's not like all FF games were futuristic or were suppose to go together. They just felt like making it different, no harm in that. I liked it.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

With 9 I guess the "Final" has more relevance though. Seeing as it is actually the final Final Fantasy for PS1.

Yes, it should be called Final Fantasy IX.
    Though it's not futuristic as they're doing the newest FFs now, but it's still an FF game.
    All the FF games in the series were always diffrent from each other, but had some kept from previous FFs.

Square Enix gave us I suppose a last view of the old school FF, or, just testing if doing the same old way will attract more fans, and, giving them more cash.

So yes, it's Final Fantasy IX.

FFXIV Character

Yeah, I know what you mean. They ended the PS1 era with a bang for some, but a crapslide for most.

FF8 gave the impression that FF8+ are going to be all about people in the future. That could of had critics saying the old ones are way better, and we'd have arguements between the 1-6 fans and 7+ fans.

FF9 is like a FF in review. Kinda like a Finale to FF. Maybe that's why I like it more than 10+

FFXIV Character

Yeah I like it more than 10. 10 kinda of slid away from the before ones and thats probably why. That's also most likely the reaosn why most ppl don't like it. It's a bit too different from all the FFs and took a major turn away from the originals.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If it shouldn't be called FF9, then what should it be called?

Here's some suggestions:

"Not The Very Final "Final Fantasy", But We Won't Be Making Anymore For You Lot On PlayStation One" -- My personal favourite.

"The Game That Takes Real Fans Back In Time To All The Final Fantasies We Have Made, And Reminds Them That We Kick Ass" -- Also good.

"Not Final, But A Damn Good Tribute" -- So very true.

and finally...

"This Is The Best Final Fantasy Ever Made, Anyone Disagreeing Will Be Introduced To Our Special Board Of Ninjas" -- Not bad I reckon.

FFXIV Character

Sweet...too bad most games with long names don't make many sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Quin14
    If it shouldn't be called FF9, then what should it be called?

Here's some suggestions:

"Not The Very Final "Final Fantasy", But We Won't Be Making Anymore For You Lot On PlayStation One" -- My personal favourite.

"The Game That Takes Real Fans Back In Time To All The Final Fantasies We Have Made, And Reminds Them That We Kick Ass" -- Also good.

"Not Final, But A Damn Good Tribute" -- So very true.

and finally...

"This Is The Best Final Fantasy Ever Made, Anyone Disagreeing Will Be Introduced To Our Special Board Of Ninjas" -- Not bad I reckon.
    I wanted serious responses but, damn. how about,

"Final Fantasy Saga finale that owns the rest" or
    "Final Fantasy (The Best)"

Final Fantasy IX: Otherwise known as the best game EVER! (Because of Beatrix)

Quote Originally Posted by SakuraAngel623
    Final Fantasy IX: Otherwise known as the best game EVER! (Because of Beatrix)
    *rolls eyes*

there should be a game like FFIX-2: Beatrix's story

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Quin14
    Well, considring there's over 10 of the games, "Final Fantasy" is a stupid name anyway. That's not my opinion. I'm just looking at it from that angle.
    Zidane: Well at the time Final Fantasy I was supposed to be Square's literal Final Fantasy, they couldn't keep up with competition, the FF series pulled them out of the gutter. I don't enjoy trying to compare FFIX and the first five FFs to FFVI, FFVII, and FFVIII. I say the futuristic sci-fi idea was unecessary, the mideval fairytale setting FFIX brought back is what Square was really good at in my opinion. I don't care if FFVII was what made Final Fantasy popular, I played Final Fantasy before FFVII came out and I know what FFIX stands for, all Square created that was good. It doesn't matter to me how you think of it, FFIX whatever number one thinks FFIX should be, it's FFIX and it's a good game.