Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cinematic Battle System

I was worried about FFXII's battle system - now I think it looks really good. I think I'll just have to trust SE on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SiberianKiss
    I really like the battle system they had for X. I'd like to see a similar system implemented into XIII. Or at least give players the option to use it.
    I agree totally. I love the battle system in FFX.

So have we come thus far? Lol FFXII is yet to even come out in Australia so far. I'm currently saving for it now.

Has the actual storyline been released yet or just the trailer? Because I'd really like to know what it's about.

FFXIV Character

Nibb Omniseer (Leviathan)

Just recently typed this in another thread, above this one actually, I'd just like to point out everyone probably knows what I'm about to say, though, I just simply put it into words and possible theories as to what the battle system may be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaotic
    As for the trailer, watching it again and paying more attention to it is amazing, that battle system seems very unique. The seemed to have put the old battle system(choosing a command(like fire, fire II, attack, etc) and add in an active motion "fighting scene" instead of taking turns fighting back and forth, however, that could just be a special scene and the battle system could be completely different, but you can still hope I suppose.

The game reminds me of SO:3, "aerial" attack, and the other attack that hit all surrounding enemies, which is when the screen showed a bunch of numbers with "combo", basically, as probably most of you know, there is area attacks, but not just with magic(since we haven't really seen much magic attacks yet) but with kicks and physical type things, which is pretty cool.

Apparently, from what I could see in the trailer, she used a physical attack, and then combined it with "fire" which then spread out with melee contact on her weapon and did the "combo" attack hitting all near targets. So, if I had to guess, I would say the battle system combines options and makes them much more "realistic" so you can basically make your own combos, much like a fighting type game.

Example: Attack > Ice = melee attack with an ice attack hitting all near targets
    Attack > Fire = melee attack with an ice attack hitting all near targets(from the trailer)

I watched it yet again to try and gather some more details about the battle system, though there is no definate facts given from the creators, its fine to assume things for now.

What I noticed this time is there is an action type bar

|Attack| |Firaga| |attack| |Vstrike| etc, etc, so.. judging from that, you select options and basically a "movie" plays while you select your actions, depending what you do, things can probably combo, much like in the movie when you see the explosion, which is firaga mixed with either an attack or "vstrike". What happens if you don't insert a command before the "action bar" has another choice to use? I'm not sure, maybe its already pre-set outside of battle and you insert the options you want, say:

|attack| |ice| |aerial| |attack| |ice| |aerial|

and it will continue to use those attacks, however, that seems like it would get quite boring and repeative, so I'm sure there is something I'm not getting, though I'm probably looking into this too much and it is, after all, just a teaser trailer.

Though this is just speculation, and could easily be changed, I would say its safe to assume judging from the movie that this is how the battle system will be, for now.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have to agree with your assessment of it Khaotic. It looked very much to me like a traditional menu style command selection, but with more detailed character and attack animations than previously seen in pretty much any RPG. If that's the way they're going then I can't wait to hear more about how it will work, and see it in action some more. Hopefully Square will give us some details on the combat system soon, rather than keep us wondering for months.

If they can combine such awesome cinematography with compelling gameplay strategy somewhat similar to the FFs, I'll be in love.

I don't agree that this will be completely similar to the old FF battle systems just with a visual upgrade, however. At the very least, they seem to be implementing positioning into the game, much like FFXII did.
    Last edited by Tohoya; 07-15-2006 at 07:56 AM.

If they have the X-2 type battle system in XIII I swear.. it'd be so freaking awesome. Even if the game sucked, the battles would save it if it had that.

It's going to use the ATB
    Active Time Bar, Unlike FFXII who is going to use something different.

And in FFXIII, they say that the vertical standpoint is going to have more of a role than it used to have.

I don't know if FF would be the same without ATB...

It's 80% complete (last month review) so the only thing left I see is the sidequests to add more hours.

I think it'll be awesome!
    Seen the Trailer?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I love them all!

My beloved ATB, will you ever return? I enjoyed I CTB from FFX also. FFXII is pushing it but it looks more like FFXI than I originally thought. X-2 was the best ATB. I don't think I'll be buying FFXIII.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknight
    Yeah, but when I meant multiplayer I didn't mean it like (versus EACH OTHER) I meant, co-op style. up to 4 people can fight alongside you
    Actually, alot of the older FFs had an option like that.

Anyway, I'm not very surprised at all at what they do with the battle system. They'd wanted to do a real-time game back in FFX, and they made one like that with FFXII, so it's not surprise anymore. That doesn't mean that I'm not utterly dissapointed, I'm just not surprised.

YES!!! FF9 had this option!! you could set the controllers to diff characters! it was smurfing awesome!!!
    Too big.

From what I understand, XIII is going to be more like your standard Final Fantasy (I am pretty sure I saw the letters ATB somewhere in the trailer), and XIII Versus is going to be more actiony, a la Kingdom Hearts. (I believe that the KH team are actually the ones making Versus.)