Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prefered character(s) in SSBM

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

I suck terribly at SSBM, but Marth or Link are probably the characters I suck the least with.

Guess who's back....back chaos_ghost's Avatar

Here are my favs:

1. Falco
    2.Ganon
    3.Captain Falcon
    4.Fox
    5.Dr. Mario(it's odd, I own with him, but I suck with Mario)
    6.Link
    7.Samus
    8.Bowser
    9.DK
    10.Young Link/Mr. Game and Watch

Thanks to Owen McWare for the sig. This sig is staying up forever no matter what.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

My faveorite characters are Samus and Mewtwo (Ness aswell since I found out how well PK fire spams.)

Touché,Threeché,SPAMATION Monster Hunt's Avatar

I like Luigi and Kirby!
    was all like to who was acctually feeling due to the fact that :oscar: & :frylock: couldn't go to his b'day party. patted him on the back and :mog: said there's always next year. felt more , felt , but :moose: (who knows when (as the person he is) he came in) was more of a . :magus: jumped in and told that no one really likes him. BROKEN ran everyone over with a :sophia:. So lived happily ever after, especially after he had with :rsl:
    The end!

66% of sig statistics are fake- and so is this one.

Gannons cheer rocks, it sound more like their taunting him then cheering. Another reason he rocks.

Most of the time I'll use Marth, because he's pretty solid in every department, and because there's nothing more satisfying than connecting perfectly with a Forward Smash. I'm pretty useful with Samus, Jiggly, Ganondorf and Pikachu too, though, and I switch around depending on the stage or opponents.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Falco is the one who im most fond with, im no expert with the game, but i can beat level 8's and sometimes 9's if im with Falco. Other's I fail miserably.

If I'm not playing as Ness, then I'm Marth.

I used to kick total ass with Ness, but it's been so long now, I probably forgot how.
    lol signature

I play Young Link and I don't see that changing until Brawl is out.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Roy. He's powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Levian
    Roy. He's powerful.
    No he's not.

Blog Entries

I don't see how a fighting game where all the characters have essentially the same movelist can have tiers. Not that I claim to know a lot about the SSB series, but I reckon the game is pretty limited in that respect and that character choice is pretty much dependant solely on who you think looks the coolest.

On that note, I like Marth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy
    I don't see how a fighting game where all the characters have essentially the same movelist can have tiers. Not that I claim to know a lot about the SSB series, but I reckon the game is pretty limited in that respect and that character choice is pretty much dependant solely on who you think looks the coolest.
    You couldn't possibly be more wrong. On top of the fact that (most of) the characters differ greatly, even the clones have enough differences to make one better than the other. That's why Pichu is bottom tier and Pikachu is mid. Pichu is much too light and hurts himself when he attacks. Like I said before, Roy is slower and weaker than Marth. The speed difference between Ganondorf and Captain Falcon is so big that it creates two vastly different playing styles. Young Link suffers from a similar problem to Pichu. He's too light. His reach is crap, too. Falco and Fox aren't all that different, and Dr. Mario and Mario are pretty much the same, but the rest of the characters are very different from each other.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roto13
    You couldn't possibly be more wrong. On top of the fact that (most of) the characters differ greatly, even the clones have enough differences to make one better than the other. That's why Pichu is bottom tier and Pikachu is mid. Pichu is much too light and hurts himself when he attacks. Like I said before, Roy is slower and weaker than Marth. The speed difference between Ganondorf and Captain Falcon is so big that it creates two vastly different playing styles. Young Link suffers from a similar problem to Pichu. He's too light. His reach is crap, too. Falco and Fox aren't all that different, and Dr. Mario and Mario are pretty much the same, but the rest of the characters are very different from each other.
    First, I would just like to say that this is true and I agree. The characters in SSBM are in fact so different that a tier list is much easier to make, and the power difference between bottom and top tier are much bigger, than in the typical fighting game like Soul Caliber and/or Tekken.

Then, I would also like to mention that even Fox and Falco are really different and have completely different playing styles. Falco takes advantage of his blaster while approaching or retreating and even edge-guarding since it stuns the target for a moment, while Fox only can add up dammage with his blaster. Fox can 0-kill with his Down B since its knock-back is set and won't change depending on dammage, thus giving it a really deadly low-% knock-back while close to the edge and off-stage. Falco is better at KO with Neutral Aerial, Back Aerial and Side Smash while Fox is better at KO with Up Smash and Up Aerial. Falco can spike with Down Aerial, Fox can't. Fox is faster and his Up B/Side B recoveries reach futher etc. The list goes on. So even Fox and Falco are actually extremely different.

The only clone that hardly is different at all, is actually Dr. Mario. But then again, there ARE still notable differences.

I'm no expert of other fighting games like Tekken and Soul Caliber, even though I've played them both. However... I really doubt that those games have any character-counters that can even be compared to those in SSBM. For example, Sheik VS Bowser= Hopeless matchup for Bowser and even more so if played at Final Destenation. The Bowser player would require atleast twice the skill of the Sheik player in order to win a matchup like that. So there are indeed both tiers and counters in SSBM.

Edit: Of course, it's important to remember, though, that tier doesn't decide the winner. And in many cases, mid tiers stand a good chanse against even top tiers. Unless it's a hopeless matchup like the one I mentioned, just a little bit more skill is usually enough to beat upper/top tiers with even low/mid tiers. And even counter-move sets are more important in matchups than whenever a character is high on the tierlist or not. So just because your fav isn't a top-tier, it obiviously doesn't mean you should stop playing that character and pick up a top-tier instead. So don't choose Sheik or Fox just because they are the "overall" best characters in the game.
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 05-16-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeDRankLou
    Jigglypuff owns you all SUCKAS!!!!

Seriously though, I like using several characters, but I have gotten the timing down with Jigglypuff's Rest attack that I connect with at least 97% accuracy. My friends have banned me from using Jigglypuff when we play because they don't stand a chance. And my friend Ryan is really really good with Ness.

I like using Peach, she's kind of funny. She slaps the people around and smacks them with a frying pan, good stuff.
    Truth. I also am awesome as Jigglypuff. Rest is so much fun.

My favorite character, though, is Kirby. True, he's not the god he was in SSB. But he is still a great character, and, IMHO, he deserves better than the low tier that list has put him at.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.