Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphic Whores.

Blog Entries

Personally, I prefer a nice balance between the two. But to be completely honest, I prefer to play my handheld system over any console.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I just really want Devil May Cry 4....

I R SPESHIL?

On the subject on graphics V gameplay.

I learned SNK/Playmore and Sega were working on getting the latest Metal Slug game to the Wii. The thing is they decided to use the Wii controller for aiming. Meaning you point the controller in the direction you want to shoot, this is a bad idea if you know what the Metal Slug games are like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Holmes
    On the subject on graphics V gameplay.

I learned SNK/Playmore and Sega were working on getting the latest Metal Slug game to the Wii. The thing is they decided to use the Wii controller for aiming. Meaning you point the controller in the direction you want to shoot, this is a bad idea if you know what the Metal Slug games are like.

My god... I have played Metal Slug, and I must admit, that is the worst idea I have ever heard of. :O Normal Metal Slug option kthxby.

And I thought they just decided to develop for the Wii because they suspected it would be more popular...

Let's face it: if graphics didn't matter, we all would still be playing SNES games just for the value. Or maybe even RuneScape. We all know how much gameplay RuneScape has, let's ignore the horrific graphics. I think there happens to be more variables than gameplay and graphics. Personally, I hated FF8 because of "gun blades" and other corny things that were rampant in the game. Gameplay and graphics never even came into perspective. It could have been entertaining for days and graphically enthralling but I won't ever know.

Between the PS3 and Xbox 360 or a Wii, I'd take the Xbox or PS3. I'd take the Xbox 360/PS3. Nintendo has yet again catered towards the parents who will be paying for the console as opposed to adults/teens who play games. Nothing has changed as far as I'm concerned.

The PS3 isn't going for just graphics BTW. They've got it all, bucko. Including that motion-sensing remote. Basically, it's 360 and Wii versus PS3. This article has something about Microsoft siding with Nintendo (IDK what Nintendo's response was). Neither can compete with it alone as far as hardware. There's also that possibility that the PS3 will have more 3rd-party developers than Micrsoft and Nintendo combined again. Although, there's also the possibility that the PS3 falls flat on it's face.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Holmes
    Gameplay is a million times better than graphics. End of story.
    *points to Super Smash Brothers: Brawl" Now THAT'S a game.

From what I understand Nintendo is again building up its third party game library, and here is my version of Microsoft asking nintedo for an allience.

Micro: Our system sucks, help us beat the PS3!
    Nintendo: Bark like a dog,
    Micro: What?
    Nintendo: You heard me, Bark like a dog.
    Micro: Um, Woof?
    Nintendo: Now do a jig.
    Micro: Whats a Jig?
    Nintedo: Do it!
    Micro: Okay, *does Jig* so will you help us?
    Nintendo: No, Mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZeZipster
    The PS3 isn't going for just graphics BTW. They've got it all, bucko. Including that motion-sensing remote *Kentarou stops listening*.
    ZeZipster, I am sorry to say, Sony does not have a motion-sensing remote. They have a tilt-sensing controller. >_>

They all care about graphics, or they wouldn't be spending the tons of money it cost to develop more visually capable hardware. I never did understand what everyone's problem with good graphics was...is it really that bad for something to look nice?

My advice is to stick to playing old games only if good graphics really bother your eyes that much. Also, in my opinion, Nintendo has been slowly sliding downward since the release of the N64 and now they're just plummiting...all the Nintendo fans (myself being a former) are like "Oh yeah Nintendo is distinqushing itself by being innovative and caring about the games and gameplay!" when in accuality they're just making pointless things that are different and unnecessary to draw the attention of the few that care about the gaming unit more than the games on it. The Nintendo DS is the prime example of this.

Not to say Nintendo won't completely come back in all their glory with the Revolution/Wii/Whatever it's called now, but from what I'm seeing it just looks like they're doing a bunch of pointless things (more than ever now) and I've yet to hear any primary concern directed toward titles, whereas I've heard (and seen) of Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Killzone 2, and many other upcoming PS3 titles that are looking like they will be very fun...and insanely pretty.

XBOX 360 is something I really couldn't care less about, frankly.

Must change name: NikoKun Tidus Andronicus's Avatar

Well, even if its just my opinion... Nintendo is focusing on gameplay first, graphics second.

While some of you claim the features of Nintendo's controller are pointless... You shouldn't disregard the purpose of those features... Nintendo's ultimate goal is to enhance gameplay. By creating a controller that requires the player to move interactively with the game, while having force feedback rumble, and the depth of sound speaker... They are effectively putting the player much closer into the game, than ever before in the home console market. Game immersion at its finest.
    The DS's touch screen, and the interactive play it created, was only a small step in the right direction, while the Wii will be the full distance, or at least almost there.

Yes, graphics have mattered over the last 20 years of gaming... but we've now reached a point where graphics will start to play far less of a roll in determining a console's popularity, and enjoyment.
    Graphics on all systems are capable of recreating almost any scene imaginable... and while not 'photo-realistic' yet, the steps we will see approching that goal, will be small for all consoles... as current technological advances can only go so far each generation.
    Each generation from now on, will appear to have less and less of a jump, in terms of graphics... because of how close we are getting to the visual peek.

Back years ago, in the early days of the Sega Saturn, the N64, and the PS1, console gaming had made the huge jump into 3D... This was the golden age for many graphics fans, as this was when the upgrades in graphics were the most noticeable... The jump after that was good but not quite as impressive, gameplay was practically the same, and we only got better as far as the polygons and textures where conserned.
    And now today, is the jump is into HD for some, which visually is nice, but the gameplay for most, will be exactly the same as the last generation, with little to no improvement to how we actually play the games. Not to mention that most of us will still be seeing it on SD tvs... So really all we are seeing is a slight improvement in poly count, which these days is too high to even care about... and more detailed textures of course. But even so, gameplay remains the same... at least on 2 of the major consoles.

The only places left to go, when the focus on graphics is shrinking, is either in other features not related to gaming(where Sony and MS seem to be going)... or focusing on gameplay and immersion. Nintendo is taking the latter path, because they are a company that only works on and with games. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo is souly based in games, they do not have seperate departments based in computers, or electronics. All Nintendo works on, is gaming! It's all they know, and its all they love to do. Which is why people should stop doubting Nintendo's abilities, because Nintendo knows what they are doing, they've done it for over 20 years, and its all they do! If you've been working hard on something for 20 years, I'd bet you'd get very good at it too! ^_~
    Anyway, Nintendo's focus this next generation will be tword gameplay, instead of graphics... Yes, they have improved their graphics a bit to give us something a little new to wow our eyes... but they are mainly working with how we will control the games, and how we will feel the games.
    Some people worry that Nintendo is focusing to heavilly on becoming one of those living room 'motion arcade' companies... which isn't true at all. While they do offer some games that will be like that, in a silly kind of way... They are maintaining the games that the hardcore croud will enjoy, upgrading the play and feel of the game, without making it silly... changing analog sticks into tilt and point, changing unnessissary extra buttons/combos into motions and shakes, in such a way as to replicate how you might move as if you were really in the game. And its sometimes hard to grasp just how amazing that 'in the Wiimote' speaker is going to be. Finally you'll be able to hear things that you do with your hands in game, and hear sounds that happen near to you, vs sounds that happen near what your looking at. The prospect of hearing an arrow shoot from your hand into the screen to kill an enemy, is mouth... or should I say ear... well I can't say ear watering, that would just be silly... anyway, you get my meaning... XD

Touching is good, and playing = believing.
    Never underestimate Nintendo!
    Wii Friends Code: 1253-3744-4913-5203
    AKA: NikoKun

Some of you are missing the point and need some clarification

Making any game is a balancing act between

Total Times
    Graphics
    Gameplay
    Story
    Functionality

And so on.

Lets say you have 2 years to make the game. A game that is primarily focused on graphics "A graphics whore" like --full auto, rumble rosesxx, fifa 06, perfect Dark Zero and so on. would sped there time like this

Total Time -- 24 months
    Graphics --18 months
    Gameplay -- 2 months
    Story -- 2 months
    Functionality -- 2 months

Now a GOOD GAME will focus there time evenly. Example of how halo would have looked when they made the game.

Total Time -- 24 months
    Graphics --6 months
    Gameplay -- 6 months
    Story -- 6 months
    Functionality -- 6 months

And a Game like Super Smash Brother would look like this

Total Time -- 24 months
    Graphics --2 months
    Gameplay -- 18 months
    Story -- 2 months
    Functionality -- 2 months

You can replace Time with Money or Resources and it will prove the same point.

And by the way all the REALLY good games increase the Time and Money and Resources in order to get the BEST graphics and the BEST game play. Example of that would be.

ZELDA 64
    Total Time -- 48 months
    Graphics --12 months
    Gameplay -- 12 months
    Story -- 12 months
    Functionality -- 12 months

And as I was saying I think that Sony and Xbox are putting most there resources into Graphics were Nintendo is putting there resources on Gameplay....

Yes there are a few exceptions......Yes I know that both XBOX and SONY are making games that have good gamePlay. But a big chunk of the games are just make to show there graphic capabilities, and Nintendo isn’t really doing that as much.
    Signature removed for exceeding the 50KB filesize limit. Please refer to the Signature Service thread in the Help Forum for the rules regarding signatures.

~Void

I'd like to say both Microsoft AND Sony think people will be buying the Wii....
    http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11578
    News Article: Microsoft and Sony Unite to Support the Wii
    News Date: 05/15/2006 16:18:04
    Source: www.gamesindustry.biz
    Link: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17005
    Discuss it in TalkBack! [40 Comments.]

With enemies like these, who needs friends?

Nintendo has recently been barraged with kind comments by its closest competitors, Microsoft and Sony. During an interview with Reuters at E3 last week, Microsoft's Corporate Vice President, Peter Moore, made a swipe at Sony saying, "Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3? People are ... going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3. People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid."

Sony, for their part, responded to Microsoft's barb in an interview with GamePro. "I think Peter Moore is exactly right," said Sony exec, Phil Harrison. "I think Nintendo will be the second system consumers purchase after PlayStation 3. I haven't had a chance to check out the Wii myself, but Nintendo has a great history of innovation and has always done great things for gaming and long may they do so."

Stan says: Given these gracious comments, there can only be one logical outcome: everyone who buys a PS3 or a 360 will own a Wii--in essence making everyone's second choice the number one selling console. One can only assume that if Microsoft and Sony continue this trend, Nintendo may hardly need to advertise. It's possible Nintendo's "Blue Ocean" strategy may be working better than expected, as it seems to have encompassed the competition.

as Stan said, it seems like if both companies think the Wii will be bought with their system, it would be the #1 selling console.... and it' not cause of graphics, it's because of the innovative gameplay.

THE JACKEL

I don't think the problem is graphics at all.

The problem is the focus on graphics at the expense of everything else. That's the problem. I'm tired of game makers who load the game up with pointless FMVs just to show off their alleged movie-making ability. I'm tired of having games shipped bearly playable, yet getting lots of hype because of graphics. Basicly, the problem is that game-makers are using kewl graphics to sell the game, yet they always seem to forget that they're supposed to be making a game. I think that's why the old SNES/NES games were so much fun -- the capabilities of the system were low, so you couldn't distinguish the game by merely making it look good. It had to actually be good to get attention. So once they got the graphics up to 16-bit standards, they went to work on the game.

I can't imagine that FF1 sold on graphics alone, or even with graphics as the main selling point. It's 8-bit, so they spent most of the time making the game fun, rather than wasting tons of time on graphics.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdirden
    ZELDA 64
    Total Time -- 48 months
    Graphics --12 months
    Gameplay -- 12 months
    Story -- 12 months
    What are you smoking?

Though your point is overly simplified, I see what you're saying. Companies do have limited resources, and they'll devote those to different places. However, few companies will actively sacrifice gameplay for graphics - but some companies will be content with average gameplay, whilst pushing for great graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdirden
    ZELDA 64
    Total Time -- 48 months
    Graphics --12 months
    Gameplay -- 12 months
    Story -- 12 months
    What are you smoking?

Though your point is overly simplified, I see what you're saying. Companies do have limited resources, and they'll devote those to different places. However, few companies will actively sacrifice gameplay for graphics - but some companies will be content with average gameplay, whilst pushing for great graphics.
    uuummmm isn't settleing for average gameplay while pushing for great graphics actively sacfificeing gamplay for graphics?????
    Signature removed for exceeding the 50KB filesize limit. Please refer to the Signature Service thread in the Help Forum for the rules regarding signatures.

~Void