Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dub or Sub?

Default Dub or Sub?

Which do you prefer? Sub has always appealed to me more because I watch foreign movies with subtitles and Ive always felt comfortable with sub then dub.

I myself prefer the AC subbed version. The english script and cast just didnt excite me as much as I thought they would. So it was a let down for me. The sub version was more fun and you didnt know what the next line was going to be till you read it.

How bout you?

Always sub, - For a foreighn film it's best to keep it in its origanal language. It ruins the effect (moreso in live action movies) but the characters faces with the words. For example, chinese movies, voice pitch goes up and facial expression increases in yelling or something and you put english over it - It just ruins it- and I don't EVEN want to hear the english for AC because Cloud's..and eveyone else's voice for that matter was PERFECT. - I heard the english in suncoast because it was playing and cringed. So SUBTITLES.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Subs in this case. While I did enjoy some of the American voice actors, overall I liked the Japanese voices a lot better.

Aerith is and always should be Maaya Sakamoto. Frankly, she should have done the English voice too. She speaks English just fine.

Honestly for me it depends on the mood I'm in. I like both, however, whenever I watch a movie that has both subs and dubs I will opt for the sub version first. For this movie in particular I really liked the voice actors for the Engilsh dub. One problem I've seen with subs in general is that they sometimes cut or shorten the dialog which is why I alway like to give both version a try.

For example in the scene with Vincent and Cloud in the ancient city look at difference in the dialog between the subs and dubs

Subtitled version:

Vincent: "The stigma. Inside our bodies, we all have a current like the Lifestream. When alien matter infests the body, this current is what fights it off. Geostigma is what happens when the body overcompensates for its unwelcomed guest."
    Cloud: "Unwelcomed guest?"
    Vincent: "The Sephiroth gene. Jenova's memetic legacy. Call it what you want."

Dubbed version:

Vincent: "The stigma. It's a symptom of alien matter infesting the body. The body tries to eliminate it and overcompensates. Inside our bodies is a current, like the Lifestream, that current is what fights off any malevolent intruders."
    Cloud: "What do you mean by intruder?"
    Vincent: "The Sephiroth gene. Jenova's memetic legacy. Call it what you want."

Not a huge change but the addition of "malevolent intruders" seems to be more "Vincenty" to me.

Or how about Denzel.

Subtitled version:

"You are dead!"

Dubbed version:

"Son of a bitch!"

And of course Cait Sith's exclamation when Red jumps up on Bahamut

Subtitled version:

"Jings, crivvens!"

Dubbed version:

"We cannae handle thes"

And finally Cloud:

Subtitled version:

"Marlene's safe. I took her home."
    "It's easier now. I was ready to drag myself along until there was nothing left."

Dubbed version:

"Marlene will be safe. I took her home."
    "I feel lighter. Maybe I lost some weight. All that dilly-dallying."

There's probably alot more examples I'm sure but you get the idea.

Anyway, I watch both. I am curious to know which version has the better transalation.
    Last edited by Duncan; 05-17-2006 at 07:52 PM.

I liked the English voices. I watched it subbed, and I didn't find a major difference in the script, and the Japanese voices didn't appeal to me that much really. Given the choice, unless there is some major flub in translation, I would always prefer dub. If I wanted to read a script, I would buy a screenplay.
    Last edited by SeeDRankLou; 05-17-2006 at 10:08 PM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

I saw both, I prefered the dub. But when it comes to deranged sdubtitles from the net SUBS win.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Blog Entries

I always prefer to see a movie in it's original language. So I prefer subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeDRankLou
    I liked the English voices. I watched it subbed, and I didn't find a major difference in the script, and the Japanese voices didn't appeal to me that much really. Given the choice, unless there is some major flub in translation, I would always prefer dub. If I wanted to read a script, I would buy a screenplay.
    Agreed.
    FFVII Ultimania Omega Guide - The answer to all questions

Quote Originally Posted by Amaru
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeDRankLou
    Agreed.
    Argeed also.

The guy who is never here cloud20747's Avatar

I could care less cause we got to see the movie. The first time I saw it the movie I had was in Japanese with no Subs. tough times...

SUB all teh way...i was very dissapointed by the english voices.....

I have not had the chance to see this movie dubbed at all, but generally when I see anime I tend to not like to hear the japanese actors vocies and would prefer dubbed. I'd probably do the same with this movie too. Subtitles piss me off kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    Subs in this case. While I did enjoy some of the American voice actors, overall I liked the Japanese voices a lot better.
    QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    Aerith is and always should be Maaya Sakamoto. Frankly, she should have done the English voice too. She speaks English just fine.
    Especially this.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

I like both. With dub you can relax and just watch the movie. With subtitles you have to read fast and kind of miss the point of watching a movie. Sometimes i watch a movie with english dubs and with english subtitles, so if i am curious about the translation, just read the bottom!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks Owen Macwere for my new updated sig!

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

Generally, I prefer to watch both, but in AC, I prefer the Japaneese voice actors. I really don't like Kadaj's voice in the dub. They're both good, though. And Denzels "Son of a bitch!" was just great.
    Last edited by DarkLadyNyara; 05-18-2006 at 07:17 AM.