Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: transvestites for characters

yeah, I here this is the antagonist for FF13.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/3b/c6/bf_1_b.JPG

they seriously are just taking the piss now.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by marc
    yeah, I here this is the antagonist for FF13.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/3b/c6/bf_1_b.JPG

they seriously are just taking the piss now.
    L0L!!

GameSpy: Some gamers, especially Western gamers, have criticized recent Final Fantasy heroes for looking too feminine or androgynous. Why do you go for this look, and does the feedback from Western gamers affect your future design plans?

Akihiko Yoshida: *laughs* Vaan is the lead character and he does look a bit feminine. But this is what Japanese gamers want; games like this sell very well in Japan. Though feminine-leaning main characters are not very popular in Western countries, we don't feel this is a reason to change the characters into more masculine or more warrior-like types. It's not possible to release a game with characters that everyone in the world likes, and if we do release a game with a masculine male character, it'll be because we want to create a new style and not because the Western audience doesn't like feminine-type characters.
    What a LOSER!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

GameSpy: Some gamers, especially Western gamers, have criticized recent Final Fantasy heroes for looking too feminine or androgynous. Why do you go for this look, and does the feedback from Western gamers affect your future design plans?

Akihiko Yoshida: *laughs* Vaan is the lead character and he does look a bit feminine. But this is what Japanese gamers want; games like this sell very well in Japan. Though feminine-leaning main characters are not very popular in Western countries, we don't feel this is a reason to change the characters into more masculine or more warrior-like types. It's not possible to release a game with characters that everyone in the world likes, and if we do release a game with a masculine male character, it'll be because we want to create a new style and not because the Western audience doesn't like feminine-type characters.
    Lol, there are definitely ways of making the games appeal to a wider audience than just Japan. Don't they realize that America and Europe together probably spend more on their titles than Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles

Lol, there are definitely ways of making the games appeal to a wider audience than just Japan. Don't they realize that America and Europe together probably spend more on their titles than Japan?
    hmm you MAY be right, but the last time I checked FFs sell in outrageous numbers in Japan compared to United States and Europe.

FFXIV Character

Nibb Omniseer (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight

What a LOSER!
    Why do you disrespect him? I said it once, and I'll say it again, if you don't like the way he enjoys creating his characters, simply don't buy it, its more mature to leave it at that than to call him a loser.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm sure auron was a popular character in Japan and hes in no way feminine. Yeah ok he isnt the main character in ffx, but after Tidus and Yuna he certainly is. Same goes for Wakka AND Kimahri for that matter lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaotic
    Why do you disrespect him? I said it once, and I'll say it again, if you don't like the way he enjoys creating his characters, simply don't buy it, its more mature to leave it at that than to call him a loser.
    I think he can think what he likes about that guy. All of us moan about a FF game here and there and yet we all seem to buy them. But I dont see any harm in being annoyed at some bloke because he wont shape the game that suits you during the wait for the release of the game.
    Or you can not buy the game AND disrespect him. Its not an either/or.

If FFXIV had pixies and fairies and migdets wearing leather with spiky belts and some guy says its a good market in Japan, im sure you'd be pretty pissed!
    Last edited by Croyles; 05-22-2006 at 07:47 PM.

I'm sure auron was a popular character in Japan and hes in no way feminine. Yeah ok he isnt the main character in ffx, but after Tidus and Yuna he certainly is. Same goes for Wakka AND Kimahri for that matter I cried aloud with mirth and merriment.

I think he can think what he likes about that guy. All of us moan about a FF game here and there and yet we all seem to buy them. But I dont see any harm in being annoyed at some bloke because he wont shape the game that suits you during the wait for the release of the game.

If FFXIV had pixies and fairies and migdets wearing leather with spiky belts and some guy says its a good market in Japan, im sure you'd be pretty pissed!

FFXIV Character

I'm sure auron was a popular character in Japan and hes in no way feminine. Yeah ok he isnt the main character in ffx, but after Tidus and Yuna he certainly is. Same goes for Wakka AND Kimahri for that matter I cried aloud with mirth and merriment.

So, if you were the character designer, would you change the shape of the games characters simply to make americans happy? Wait, I change that, to make a certain group of individuals happy who seem to judge the game solely on the appearences of the characters. I know I sure wouldn't, infact, I'd want the game the way its originally made, besides, how would wallpapers and artwork be? "Tidus from FFX AMERICAN version!!!!" "Tidus from FFX Japanese version!!" Thats just too much work, and simply not needed.

Insulting anyone is wrong, especially when you should respect AND understand their point of views on the argument, he isn't doing it to be greedy or selfish, he's doing it because there simply isn't a need to change the game itself in a LARGE way to make groups of people happy, it simply is _not_ needed.

My point about buying the game was, you can insult him all you want, but the bottom line is he'll still have you addicted to where you buy it, end of discussion.

This is just a difference of gender standards...

America is stuck on "you're so gay" permanent obsession status, so our males are obscenely over the top. Whereas Japan is all about the bishies, so girls over there would think he is hot.

Gender appearances and roles come and go and shape and change, and in a few hundred years American men could all be wearing skirts... Scottish men do it, so heyhey ya never know.

You only think so and so looks like a girl or guy because you happened to be born into this certain time in this certain country

Broaden your horizons and realize that the rest of the world shouldn't morph their entire culture to be more like America just because it pleases you. America is a newbie to the planet earth, and it's pretty arrogant to expect everybody else to cater to us.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver
    This is just a difference of gender standards...

America is stuck on "you're so gay" permanent obsession status, so our males are obscenely over the top. Whereas Japan is all about the bishies, so girls over there would think he is hot.

Gender appearances and roles come and go and shape and change, and in a few hundred years American men could all be wearing skirts... Scottish men do it, so heyhey ya never know.

You only think so and so looks like a girl or guy because you happened to be born into this certain time in this certain country

Broaden your horizons and realize that the rest of the world shouldn't morph their entire culture to be more like America just because it pleases you.
    Quoted for truth.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

All he said was "what a loser". Thats it. I doubt it harmed Akihiko Yoshida or anyone else.

As for the game, of course it depends on where you were born, I myself dont really care what direction they go in, as long as its a good game, but I would just rather have a more masculine main character. Im not American, and I prefer masculine characters, and im not stuck on a "you're so gay" permanent obsession status. So maybe someone else needs to broaden their horizons?
    If I were the character designer, I would take it seriously, instead of taking it as a joke like us, which there IS room for in these forums.

Im sure the people in japan judge the game by its looks just as much as anyone else.
    Last edited by Croyles; 05-22-2006 at 08:46 PM.

FFXIV Character

Read LunarWeaver's reply and then think about what I said about the fanart, official wallpapers, etc. People can think what suits them more all they want, but the bottom line is, there isn't a need to basically have 2 different main characters, one more "girly" and one more "Masculine". They're making the game, they're from Japan, they don't HAVE to give USA, or anyone else for that matter the games they make, they would lose money, but we would lose out on great games, and if you can't accept that and need to put down their desires and likes based on their culture, that simply isn't right.

As for the "loser" comment, I bet you any money if I said that to someone on this forum, in the exact way he said it, a CK would warn me to be "nice" on this forum, that I shouldn't disrespect ANYONE. Same goes for him in this case, what justifies him as a loser? What right does he have to call him such?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Who said anything about making two main characters?
    They could of just like, made someone more average, not too feminine, not too masculine.
    As I said before, I couldnt care less at the moment, FFXIII looks good, I dont even think 'Lightning' (if thats her name) looks that manly.
    Yeah you would get warned if you insult someone the forum, which Deathknight didnt actually do, he insulted a character designer. If I insult Tony Blair, no one will give a damn. Unless someone really did get offended by that, and if thats the case, then bummer and im sorry. Anyway, LunarWeaver either told me or Deathknight to broaden our/his/mine horizon/s, suggesting we're, he, or I are/is ignorant, so go figure. Its not like I care.

*Goes off to watch Dead Ringers*
    Last edited by Croyles; 05-22-2006 at 09:05 PM.

All he said was "what a loser". Thats it. I doubt it harmed Akihiko Yoshida or anyone else.

As for the game, of course it depends on where you were born, I myself dont really care what direction they go in, as long as its a good game, but I would just rather have a more masculine main character. Im not American, and I prefer masculine characters, and im not stuck on a "you're so gay" permanent obsession status. So maybe someone else needs to broaden their horizons?
    If I were the character designer, I would take it seriously, instead of taking it as a joke like us, which there IS room for in these forums.

Im sure the people in japan judge the game by its looks just as much as anyone else.
    My post had nothing to do with you personally, or other countries (well, actually, I was speaking to the topic creator to be specific). A masculine main character isn't bad. But to say a masculine main character is fine you also must say a feminine main character is fine as well, because there are just different standards. Naturally, everybody has their preference, and that's why there is a mixture in games, you can't expect to have it all your way all the time, Square isn't McDonald's. Neither one is good or bad, it depends on you as a person, but people could be a little more flexible about these things. Oh, I forgot to insert arrogant smiley :
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 05-22-2006 at 09:11 PM.