Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A bit TOO futuristic.

I was disappointed too. Personally, I find futuristic settings, robots and technology rather boring. I am not too interested in medieval fantasy either. To me, that looks mostly like Tolkien rip-off.

So what do I like? Spira, for instance. A brand new world that is neither futuristic nor medieval, but something brand new. More or less, at least.

But there was a short scene with a forest in the XIII-trailer, so there might be hope...
    My personal blog - Awareness and Geekiness.

Zanshaa Docks - a brand new geek forum, up and running!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

I bet the ending of this game will end up being like 1984.
    Or maybe the ending will just be Jack Bauer waking up.

too futuristic or not, i don't care...as long as it is a great game, i can't wait to play...

I like sc-fi, and I was already getting epic vibes from the trailer alone. In fact, I am 99.5% positive that I will love this game the moment it is released.
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

If FFXIII remains closer to traditional FFs than Xenosaga, I'll be happy. When I want a futuristic space RPG, I can enjoy Xenosaga or even Phantasy Star. When I want a medieval RPG I can enjoy Dragon Quest. When I want a unique hybrid of future and medieval technology, I'll enjoy Final Fantasy. Each franchise has an enjoyable niche. I'd hate for them to overlap too much.

That's a good point Garland. FFVII was futuristic in Midgar, but after you left, it was like, "Yeah, what is this? Future or what?" I mean, there are some rockets and stuff, but Midgar's really the only futuristic city in the world. Most towns looked, well, modern I guess. But it wasn't modern exactly like us, which is good. It was different modern. If you know what I mean. But yeah if FFXIII is clearly futuristic, I won't care, as long as it's not cheesy futuristic.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    Dont they show the heroine in a beautiful forest for a brief spot in the trailer? It looked gorgeous.

I dont think what little we've seen can be used to judge the environment of the game. After all, its easier to build one environment and use that and nothing else for a trailer.

Also, the extra pictures that have been released dont really look all that bleak. And of course, no sense in judging it/getting worried at this point. We've got a looooooooong way to go.

I wish other people would realise that

too futuristic or not, i don't care...as long as it is a great game, i can't wait to play...
    Exactly my thoughts. My top concern with games is gameplay. Other aspects are nice, but without quality gameplay, it's all style and no substance. I don't mind futuristic at all. I get can used to any atmosphere that is created.

Final Fantasy already went into space,twice, not exactly a huge sci-fi line left to cross.

Almost all of the pictures show forests n' such anyway, all 2 of them that judgment has been passed on. Though technology is mixed in with it...It's not like ultra-future or anything as far as I can see. I can do either though, medieval or sci-fi, so it all works for me.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by Snap Jumper
    Exactly my thoughts. My top concern with games is gameplay. Other aspects are nice, but without quality gameplay, it's all style and no substance. I don't mind futuristic at all. I get can used to any atmosphere that is created.
    My top concern is more with the Storyline.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well, whatever happens, the two envornments will probably somehow come to a clash during the story. I expect you'll be spending an equal amount of time in both.

I myself enjoy medieval settings, but sometimes, you need a break. Sci-Fi works, but only if they make the game well. And I don't know, because I'm a filthy newb, but doesn't SE have a good track record with games?

Dont they show the heroine in a beautiful forest for a brief spot in the trailer? It looked gorgeous.

I dont think what little we've seen can be used to judge the environment of the game. After all, its easier to build one environment and use that and nothing else for a trailer.

Also, the extra pictures that have been released dont really look all that bleak. And of course, no sense in judging it/getting worried at this point. We've got a looooooooong way to go.
    QFT

All FF games have different fictions, so does it matter? :P

and yeah, FF13 should have a lot of places that we haven't seen yet.

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silentenigma
    it isn't really the sci-fi that takes away the epic fealing for me. It's just for the whole trailer at E3 I only saw great expansions of bleak, futuristic, towering cities EVERYWHERE. I don't want to be looking at that the entire game...
    The majority of everything in E3 was futuristic type games, I guess that they assumed that it's the so called next gen console that they have to make it futuristic, I just hope it works well for XIII.

Yellow Winged Angel

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

To me, the setting has never been that important. The story and battle system is what makes an RPG important.

My top concern is more with the Storyline.
    Then TV and movies would be better for you. No gameplay to worry about at all.