Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: A bit TOO futuristic.

Default A bit TOO futuristic.

seriously. The only way I'm going to like the super-futurism is if throughout the story all society falls into a regression and becomes unstable by the end of the game. If all the environments in the game are full of technology and futureness, it would just seem to take away the "epic" feel of it all.

well we havn't seen many other places in the game. maybe some parts of the world aren't so futuristic? maybe the closer you get to the crystal, the more advance the enviroment is. who knows?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Sci-fi can be epic just as well as medieval settings can be :(.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

"I'm So tr00, teh old Ff @re teh best"

Oh crap, there's a rule that FF HAVE to be medeival??? damn..that's messed up.

Oh well, I still preffer present/future-like rpgs.

Yeah, I thought FFVI, VII, and VIII were the best, so I cant wait for XIII to come out, as these were all sci-fi (or at least not medieval; FFVI was steampunk). It should be good. FFI and IX were also good, so it doesnt have to be sci fi either to be good.

And what do you mean sci fi doesnt equal epic? FFVII felt epic to me. This is also true in movies. Oh look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2001Style_E.jpg

it isn't really the sci-fi that takes away the epic fealing for me. It's just for the whole trailer at E3 I only saw great expansions of bleak, futuristic, towering cities EVERYWHERE. I don't want to be looking at that the entire game...

oh yeah I'm not complaining about it being in the future, or the sci-fi aspects, just the environments. (I liked FFVII just as much as FFVI or FFIX in that respect..FFVII was sci-fi in the future, but there was still enough nature to go around.)

Quote Originally Posted by silentenigma
    it isn't really the sci-fi that takes away the epic fealing for me. It's just for the whole trailer at E3 I only saw great expansions of bleak, futuristic, towering cities EVERYWHERE. I don't want to be looking at that the entire game...

oh yeah I'm not complaining about it being in the future, or the sci-fi aspects, just the environments. (I liked FFVII just as much as FFVI or FFIX in that respect..FFVII was sci-fi in the future, but there was still enough nature to go around.)
    I think that you're being a bit too pessimistic here. Most of the scenes from the trailer look like they could have been taken from a single part of the game. I doubt they have shown us anywhere near the full expanse of the game's landscapes. And there was at least one part of the trailer which was all forests and waterfalls. I advise that you wait and see: I don't think it will be as bad as you are implying.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

I'm sick and tired of people who whine about any Final Fantasy that doesn't have a medieval setting. Let's see, FFVI was sort of futuristic, and it's considered the best of all time by many people. So I fail to see any logic in your argument.

VII and X where just voted top two best games in Famitsu. Neither were medieval. Man, that makes want to finally play all the way through X. That'll give me something to do until XII and XIII.

Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Knight
    I'm sick and tired of people who whine about any Final Fantasy that doesn't have a medieval setting. Let's see, FFVI was sort of futuristic, and it's considered the best of all time by many people. So I fail to see any logic in your argument.
    Umm...I NEVER said anything like "I don't like what was shown about the new FFXIII because it doen't look midieval."
    I liked all the traditional FF's and I probably will like this one two.
    But still, every final fantasy so far, whether it was futuristic, midieval and whatever, had a world with mostly appealing, vegetated environments.
    But as far as I've seen in this game, pretty much everything is all dark and lifeless. I just hope that the whole game doesn't look like that, Especially when I consider the first teaser as something that is supposed to give you an idea of the overall atmosphere...

So I guess Skyblade was probably right, the game probably won't look like that the whole time....and I guess there was a part with a waterfall and forest thing...

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weimar Pluto Knight VII
    VII and X where just voted top two best games in Famitsu. Neither were medieval. Man, that makes want to finally play all the way through X. That'll give me something to do until XII and XIII.
    Because the opinions of others sway our own right? FAMITSU LIES!

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by silentenigma
    seriously. The only way I'm going to like the super-futurism is if throughout the story all society falls into a regression and becomes unstable by the end of the game. If all the environments in the game are full of technology and futureness, it would just seem to take away the "epic" feel of it all.
    I disagree, IMO, I have played way to many medievil games..., I only get awed out by present or futuristic games.

besides, its the mood that counts epic wise, and we dont know the mood yet...

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Dont they show the heroine in a beautiful forest for a brief spot in the trailer? It looked gorgeous.

I dont think what little we've seen can be used to judge the environment of the game. After all, its easier to build one environment and use that and nothing else for a trailer.

Also, the extra pictures that have been released dont really look all that bleak. And of course, no sense in judging it/getting worried at this point. We've got a looooooooong way to go.

The initial train sequence and fight with the guards reminded me more of Midgar in FFVII than anything else, albeit with slightly superior graphics...

I don't think that's a bad thing. I really like it when sci-fi is mixed with fantasy. It intrigues me even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtsplurt
    I really like it when sci-fi is mixed with fantasy. It intrigues me even more.
    Same.

If I am correct the trailer has a length of about 1:09 mins? Considering that there should be a good 75-150 hrs of gameplay in there can we really make any assumptions about what the environments will look like?