Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: A bit TOO futuristic.

It seems to me that after doing the medieval thing five times Square finally decided to try to see if RPGs, and Final Fantasy in particular, worked outside of the medieval-type setting. Turns out it can work anywhere if you do it right. They decided to come back to it with IX after they had established that it worked elsewhere, and my guess is, if they continue the series, we will see a mainly-medieval setting again.

And for the record, I love the sci-fi/medieval-fantasy fusion, but I'm a little concerned that the setting of XIII is essentially XII with perhaps a more technology-based/evolved world. Granted, I haven't seen much of either game so far.

Exactly what was the complaint? If it's futuristic, than it's futuristic. Who cares? It works best for the plot. So what's the big deal? I'm sorry, I just don't see the use of complaining about the time setting of a game everyone here wants to play.

FFXIV Character

Gamina Condoin (Sargatanas)

Personaly I only prefer Medival settings because it allows for more weapons like; swords, Axes, Bows, Staffs, Magic, and much less weapons like; Guns, Lasers, Bombs.

and to me a Game with Guns is just a Shooter game, and that usually means Mindless Fun of pointing and shooting. To me I don't Enjoy Guns in My RPG's, I always prefer Bows, swords, Axes, because its just more fun.

I mean a Magical Sword sounds cool,
    A Magical Gun sounds retarded.
    Last edited by Nakor TheBlue Rider; 10-24-2006 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abrojtm View Post
    I didn't like FFVIII's sic-fi-ness either. Esthar sucked.
    about esthar....a magazine i read had squall standing beside it on the world map, but the captions says that squall was standing beside galbadia. was there a galbadia city? if so, it must've been hidden or something lol. i know this isn't FF13 question, but i seen this post and had to ask.
    Never make a Sorceress angry, or you will regret it!

Not that almost all of these fatalistic arguments aren't completely ridiculous, but. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nakor TheBlue Rider View Post
    Personaly I only prefer Medival settings because it allows for more weapons like; swords, Axes, Bows, Staffs, Magic, and much less weapons like; Guns, Lasers, Bombs.

and to me a Game with Guns is just a Shooter game, and that usually means Mindless Fun of pointing and shooting. To me I don't Enjoy Guns in My RPG's, I always prefer Bows, swords, Axes, because its just more fun.
    Are you kidding me? "A game with guns is just a shooter game"? That's the silliest thing I've ever read, and seems like just a pathetic attempt to say "I don't like guns, so I don't want them in an FF, ever!" Did you miss the part in FFXII and FVIII where they both had guns and both of them were RPGs (and not really futuristic)?

Medieval settings don't automatically lend themselves to more weapons. The FF games have offered plenty of creative and interesting weapons in both settings. They have proven to us time and again that "medieval" does not mean "only swords and bows" and that "futuristic" doesn't mean "lasers and guns," so why are you worried about it now?

I'm so tired of people in this community searching so hard for something to bitch about. Would most of you really just be happy if they just kept remaking FFVII over and over?

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is way old.
    --Box Box Box Box