FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Default Wouldnt it be cool if...

The main character was silent.

sort of like Caim from Drakengard?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa

i want a character with a mix of Quina and Baralai...what do you think?...

I want to see NEW characters

FFXIV Character

Nibb Omniseer (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight
    I want to see NEW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa

Or Crono from Chrono Trigger? Or Isaac from Golden Sun? Or Max from Shining Force? Or any of a thousand other main characters from RPGs?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I can't stand main characters that don't talk. Especially in the games which the other characters speak as if he/she is talking. It's so ridiculously irritating.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

No, it wouldn't be cool. it'd suck to the max.

No, it wouldn't be cool. it'd suck to the max.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X
    I can't stand main characters that don't talk. Especially in the games which the other characters speak as if he/she is talking. It's so ridiculously irritating.
    IIRC, the original idea of that mechanism was to allow the person playing the game to identify more with the main character: The main character supposedly did speak, but because the words were not specified, the gamer could substitute their own words and mannerisms for those of the characters, and infer from the context of the situations what the general content of the speech should be. The idea had several flaws in execution, but it was pulled off successfully in a few cases, but in other games it either became an annoyance or helped to continue the "somber, silent hero" stereotype.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X
    IIRC, the original idea of that mechanism was to allow the person playing the game to identify more with the main character: The main character supposedly did speak, but because the words were not specified, the gamer could substitute their own words and mannerisms for those of the characters, and infer from the context of the situations what the general content of the speech should be. The idea had several flaws in execution, but it was pulled off successfully in a few cases, but in other games it either became an annoyance or helped to continue the "somber, silent hero" stereotype.
    I agree with the main character not speaking is quite annyoing, for example, Dragon Quest VIII. I prefer dialogue over words simply because you get a better feel for the characters, you also get more into the game because its like you're there, hearing their words, though that could just be me.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't even play Dragon Quest VIII myself but just watching my boyfriend play it irritated me cause the main character never ever talked. And they skipped over his name during the dialogue too. It just bugged.

I would hate it if the main character for a Final Fantasy game had no dialogue at all.

Hey, I didn't say it was a good idea, I was just giving the reasoning behind it.

Personally, if the game is good enough, I don't mind much. Chrono Trigger, Shining Force, and Golden Sun (both parts) all had silent main characters, but they are among my all time favorite games. As long as the dialogue fits well enough around it, so that you don't dwell on it, it works. But if it is obvious, it can stand out like a sore thumb and really ruin the mood. You should never reach a point where you are actually wondering why the characters don't speak, as such a thing ruins the suspension of disbelief, thus ruining your immersion in the game. It takes a good game with damned good plot and dialogue to avoid that problem.

BTW: None of the main characters in the original Final Fantasy talked... :P

I personally dislike it a lot when main characters don't talk... The only games I worked around it for were the Chrono games. I suppose if she went silent I'd get over myself, but it would be relegated to least-favorite of the bunch I'm afraid... Unless she had no voice but lots of inner monologue...but that defeats the entire purpose I guess ^.^;

Anywho, I stand by my initial based-off-nothing assumption she is the only battle character in the game, so I'm sure she'll be a chatty lil' minx.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver
    I personally dislike it a lot when main characters don't talk... The only games I worked around it for were the Chrono games. I suppose if she went silent I'd get over myself, but it would be relegated to least-favorite of the bunch I'm afraid... Unless she had no voice but lots of inner monologue...but that defeats the entire purpose I guess ^.^;

Anywho, I stand by my initial based-off-nothing assumption she is the only battle character in the game, so I'm sure she'll be a chatty lil' minx.
    If she is the only controlable character, she will have to speak. FF games have (except for the original [and XI, which I haven't played and don't see how it could possibly follow the standard rules]) always depended strongly on the personalities of the team. Even in Chrono Trigger (which I treat as an FF in all but name), though Crono never spoke, the rest of the team spoke for him. Can you imagine trying to convey all the emotion and depth of an FF character if that character could not speak and you had none of the interaction with other team members that is so prevelant in the FF storylines? It would be nearly impossible to pull it off.

However, the Final Fantasy empire has been built off the storylines and character interactions. I truly don't believe they'll ruin it now. I doubt that Lightning will be the only playable character, and I also don't believe that Square-Enix would have her be silent.

But we'll just have to wait and see...

FFXIV Character

I think with the games graphics, it would be crazy of them to not have her talk, since you can see her lips so purely and everything, it would be very awkward for her to be nodding her head "pretending" to talk like they do in other games where the main character doesn't talk. They didn't do it for 7-X-2, so hopefully they won't stop.