Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil and Silent Hill

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Though I like both series, SH gets the nod from me. Unlike RE, the SH series is scary. More than that, the fear factor holds up even after repeated playthroughs. Heck, the original SH still managed to scare me while I watched a friend play it and had already beaten it 7 times myself. Considering I've never seen another game or movie that can get any more out of me than the usual surprise at something jumping out at you reaction, that's saying something. When it comes to horror games, SH sets the standard that other games wish they could match, and RE seems to have given up on trying to match.

As for RE4, I honestly have to say that it's the weakest game in the series (with the exception of the original PSX RE) as far as I'm concerned. The action became extremely repetitive, and the game dragged on waaayyy too long. It should have been half the length it was at most as far as I'm concerned. I had stopped playing altogether for the better part of nine months or so before forcing myself to finish it, mostly for the sake of finishing it, and partly in the hopes it would improve. Unfortunately it didn't. Looking back, my time would have been better spent beating some of the other games I hadn't gotten around to finishing at the time. I don't plan on ever playing through the entire game again, and it's got me seriously questioning whther any future entries in the series will be worth my money. Keep in mind, I'm not someone who hates RE4 simply because it was different. I applaud Capcom's attempt to breathe some fresh air into the series and do think there were plenty of things that needed changes and improvements from the old games, but RE4 just bored me to tears.

I did enjoy silent hill, but its plot has become far to complex, though it does ratain the atmosphere that made it great. Also its retained its horror when every games is turning into a action game. Classy enemies such as the pyrimid head.

Resident evil, I prefer, though recent games such as 4 as sold out its horror genre to yet ANOTHER action game. I dont want a action game when I buy a horror, I actually wanted horror. sigh.
    RE4 Really had nothing to do with Resident Evil at all. It was all one LONG line path, boring generic action game lacking any actual horror.

"NPC: Sorry this house is sealed off because of Blight"

Silent Hill. However Resident Evil will be the one that gets remembered the most, as its more famous

Blog Entries

Resident Evil pwns

there was a picture here

Silent Hill wins here, though RE is close. Silent Hill just captures everything in a more thourough way and I like the twists and turns.

AND IT'S STILL THE SCARIEST SERIES OUT THERE *points to SH4...dies*

Resident Evil is more fun to play, but Silent Hill is creepier.

RE wins in action while SH wins in scary atmosphere...

Resident Evil blazed the trails that made Silent Hill and the entire survival horror genre possible. RE wins for me, though they're both amazing franchises.

Strangely, I never really got into Resident Evil 4. I think I need to give it another go. Resident Evil 2 has always been my favorite. As for the Silent Hill series, the combat controls are really clunky and tend to keep me from enjoying them as much as the RE series. Clunkiness aside, Silent Hill 2 and 3 are pretty awesome. Never before have I been creeped out by a video game. I love it.

Resident Evil never appealed to me. Not the traditional gameplay, and not the new and supposedly improved RE4 gameplay. Silent Hill is pretty creepy and whatnot. But Fatal Frame is the only horror series that has ever really sucked me in. That heady mix of dread, anxiety, and fascination....GOD it keeps me glued to the controller. Nothing else does it quite the same.
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only played a little bit of Resident Evil, and all the Silent Hill games. What I did play of RE, was horribly boring. SH doesn't have the BEST voice acting in the world at times, but RE is on a completely different level. And voice acting does kinda matter to me. :D Sh is so much more interesting. The story, and everything, the atmosphere, the action; I prefer it. And it's got Akira Yamaoka. <3
    --Box Box Box Box

A game I felt surpassses games from the SH and RE series was Forbidden Siren, anyone else play this game? It was made by the same people who made SH, its got the creepy tone of the SH games, and has a few twists that keep it alot more intresting than your standard SH game. Its a shame it was barely noticed.
    The sequel is out very soon, I cant wait.

project zero > all
    Making a slow come back since 2008

Project zero nailed the scare factor, but I found the first game to lack a decent story, boring characters and lame gameplay.
    Its a nice idea they had, but they didnt pull it off....

I was really excited about Forbidden Siren, but for whatever reason never ended up buying it. I think it had something to do with the overwhelming amount of reviews that said the game play was incredibly tedious and I just didn't feel like it.

I remember the official website was the coolest thing ever, though.