Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Overrated bands

Default Overrated bands

So on the radio today they had a tournament to see who was the most overrated band of all time. It came down to KISS v. Nickelback, KISS winning, which I agree with, for the most part.

So who is the most overrated band of all time?

Keep in mind, this is not about who you do not like. THis is about who have gotten the most hype and credit and not deserved it? FOr example, the White Stripes. I big reason why they're overrated is because Rolling Stone placed Jack White as the #17 greatest guitarist of all time, which is by no means correct. THere are MUCH MUCH better guitarists than him.

THe point being, a band is not overrated JUST because they "suck".
    So yeah. shoot.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Linkin Park and Greenday are the top ones I can think of at the moment. They're too goddamn repetitive, and they aren't even as good as some of the indie stuff out there.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Wait, you want us to decide on which bands are overrated based on criteria other than whether or not we think they're rubbish? Well why not ask us to pilot a helicopter upside down under the golden-gate bridge while you're at it?

If you think a band's overrated then you almost certainly don't like the band, since if you did like them then you would probably agree with most of the hype surrounding them. Ergo this arguement line is silly.

Saying that, I'll go with my standard triumvrate of bands what I think are overrated;- HIM, MCR and Greenday.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Saying that, I'll go with my standard triumvrate of bands what I think are overrated;- HIM, MCR and Greenday. Same here, bu t shove in panic at the disco too.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

it's not really a band as much as a singer but avril lavigne. she is overrated mainly because a bunch of punk kids think she actually has talent.

The Stone Roses. I mean, MCR and that lot get more praise than they deserve, but until they spend years floating around in obscurity, release a single slightly-above-average album with no stand-out hits, spend half a decade making a mediocre follow-up, and then get declared rock n' roll legends, then they can't be considered truly overrated.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Banned

I hate the concept of over- and underrated music.

Quote Originally Posted by Cz
    The Stone Roses. I mean, MCR and that lot get more praise than they deserve, but until they spend years floating around in obscurity, release a single slightly-above-average album with no stand-out hits, spend half a decade making a mediocre follow-up, and then get declared rock n' roll legends, then they can't be considered truly overrated.
    Yesss, agreed. I heard all this praise about Stone Roses a while ago, and decided to give them a listen. It was really, reallllllly boring, to say the least.

PSP IZ DA DAWGZ!!!!!!! Cid Vicious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aurey
    Quote Originally Posted by Cz
    Yesss, agreed. I heard all this praise about Stone Roses a while ago, and decided to give them a listen. It was really, reallllllly boring, to say the least.
    OMFG!!!

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones

Just because someone isn't a talented guitarist doesn't mean they can't make catchy songs. Just look at Nirvana, and like you said The White Stripes. I wouldn't call Jack or Kurt an insanely talented guitarist, but even if they write simple stuff they manage to make it catchy. Heck, anyone who's been in a guitar shop knows that there's a 50% chance if someone picks up a guitar they're gonna play a Nirvana song, just because they're simple and rememberable. In some ways, that means the sucky guitar players who gain publicity are MORE talented as artists than they are guitar players.

I don't think I'm going to join in on this. Any band with a million-dollar record deal is overrated. No one deserves to be a dictator of a radio station... The fact of the matter is you'd be hard pressed to find a band on the radio that isn't signed under Warner, Universal, Sony BMG, or EMI. I guess I'm saying any band that has depended on A&R departments to get recognition of millions of braindead people who can't find music unless it's on the radio or MTV is overrated.

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

Green Day are pretty overated, especially their newer stuff which all the kids seem to like, for some odd reeason

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power
    Wait, you want us to decide on which bands are overrated based on criteria other than whether or not we think they're rubbish?
    Overrated does not mean you don't like them. I like the White Stripes. I think they make good music some of the time. But he does not deserve to be #17 on the all time best guitarists list.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Nickleback, definitely. How can one overly-dramatic song, tweaked and renamed several times, be so successful?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian The Pink Shark
    Green Day are pretty overated, especially their newer stuff which all the kids seem to like, for some odd reeason
    I'm a kid and I don't like them. ^_^ I think Fallout boy seems overrated. My friends think I'm nuts. Maybe I only think that because all I ever hear out of them is Fallout boy this, Fallout boy that, and they never stop listening to it. Same with Greenday. I used to like them, but now it's all repetitive and stuff. And I've been hearing more and more about them on the internet at other boards and elsewhere. There are other bands that seem overrated to me, but I really don't feel like listing them.
    All life begins with a Nu and ends with a Nu.