View Poll Results: Who is gonna win? JUST WHO!?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Argentina

9 8.18%
  • Brazil

20 18.18%
  • Czech Republic

1 0.91%
  • England

17 15.45%
  • France

10 9.09%
  • Germany

9 8.18%
  • Italy

10 9.09%
  • Mexico

5 4.55%
  • Netherlands

3 2.73%
  • Portugal

4 3.64%
  • Spain

2 1.82%
  • USA

8 7.27%
  • Some team that isn't mentioned here, such as Ukraine.

12 10.91%
Page 21 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1115161718192021222324252627314171 ... LastLast

Thread: Zidane's Headbutt Discussion and also some stuff on that FIFA World Cup 2006 thing

Nice work from Ghana. The Czechs were poor, and clearly missed having a top striker to lead the line, but the Ghanaian defence did so well to close them down that it barely mattered. Going forward they showed some great invention, and although their finishing wasn't brilliant the sheer volume of chances they created made up for it. You have to wonder if the suspension of some key players might come back to haunt them in the final match, though.

Also, what was with the Israeli flag at the end?
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

What's fascinating now is what'll happen in the last three matches of the group; Italy vs USA (expect Italy to overrun the poor USA team), Czech Republic vs Italy and Ghana vs USA. If the USA team wins tonight (HAH!), all four teams will be scrapping for the qualification spots. More likely, Italy will win, leaving the USA only a remote chance of qualifying. The final two games are played at the same time to eliminate match-fixing, but even if Italy are already through, they'll still want to beat the Czech team, especially since they'll have Koller, Baros AND Lokvenc all out, plus the fact that since Brazil are likely to win their group, the second place team in Group E will face them in the next round, and nobody wants that (Or maybe they do; face Brazil before they really motor into form, rather than letting them get up a head of steam and facing them in the final). The Czechs have to beat the Italians come next Thursday, since with the form Ghana showed against them, I can't believe they'll fail to beat the US (HAH! That's what I said about the Czechs vs Ghana based on last week's matches!), but with Marek Heinz (Who?) as the only remaining Czech forward, it looks like Ghana may well qualify.<table border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0">
    <tr><td>Rank</td><td>Country</td><td>W</td><td>D</td><td>L</td><td>GF</td><td>GA</td><td>GD</td><td>Pts</td></tr>
    <tr><td>1</td><td>Italy</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>2</td><td>0</td><td>2</td><td>3</td></tr>
    <tr><td>2</td><td>Czech Republic</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>3</td><td>2</td><td>1</td><td>3</td></tr>
    <tr><td>3</td><td>Ghana</td><td>1</td><td> 0</td><td>1</td><td>2</td><td>2</td><td>0</td><td>3</td></tr>
    <tr><td>4</td><td>USA</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>3</td><td>-3</td><td>0</td></tr>
    </table>
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Ronaldo was poor yet again today, when is he going to learn that his tricks don't work!? Good players learn from their mistakes, yet Ronaldo keeps on doing them!

Anyways, Muntari claimed he's better than Ronaldo and Rooney, Ok, maybe Ronaldo but not Rooney, though he is a really good player, a great work rate and helps the team out alot. I've seen him play a couple of times for Udinese and is one of their main players! ManUre could do with a player like him, with the poor excuse of a midfield ManUre have!

Quote Originally Posted by Cz
    Also, what was with the Israeli flag at the end?
    It seems that player plays in Israel, but I'm not sure.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

A little late, but jeez, the Argentina - Serbia and Montenegro was something to see. You could really see the change in SaM after the second goal by Cambiasso (which was absolutely beautiful). I was watching the game on the Spanish language channel, Univision, and the commentators described Argentina's style as a tango. It was dead on. I sort of felt bad for the Serbians and I'm pretty sure the ref saw this too because he ended the game early before the extra time could be finished.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cristiano Ronaldo's problem is he doesn't play the simple ball often enough, but with a few more seasons at Man. United under his belt, I think he'll become an amazing player. Fergie is good at getting players to conform to a more team-based format; remember how Andy Cole used to play before he moved there? Sir Alex is the man to pull the young Portugese player into shape, I honestly believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spatvark
    Cristiano Ronaldo's problem is he doesn't play the simple ball often enough, but with a few more seasons at Man. United under his belt, I think he'll become an amazing player. Fergie is good at getting players to conform to a more team-based format; remember how Andy Cole used to play before he moved there?
    44 goals in a single season? Yeah, I sure do.

It seems Daniele De Rossi will nto be content until he has completely wrecked my fantasy football team. What a bastard. Still, his dismissal should make this game very interesting. Italy 1-1 USA at the moment.

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Even though the score is tied, the US is badly outplaying the Italians so far. In fact, this game is a pretty good example of why I can't stand soccer. The US dominates for the first 21 minutes, gets a weak foul on - what else, a flop - and scores on a set play, and after the first goal the game is pretty much over. Now, Italy does something stupid and ties the score again, so I suppose that evens things, but Lord, I wish these players would actually play the game instead of flopping non-stop.

EDIT: How the freakin' crap is that a red card? Way to completely ruin the US's advantage. It takes a brutal elbow to McBride's face for Italy to get a red card, and a late tackle is a red card for us? I call major BS.
    Last edited by Kirobaito; 06-17-2006 at 08:48 PM.

Articles

The U.S. has pretty much owned Italy, with that one corner kick being the exception. I agree on Mastroeni's red card, though, that was highly questionable.

But we've got the edge, I think, and that will carry us through to the end. Don't forget Totti is already out of the game, too! You think if they'da known it was gonna be 10-on-10 eventually, they would've subbed him out?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mastroeni's tackle was horrific, though I'd like to see it a few more times before saying it definitely wasn't a red. The legs weren't high, but he went with both feet and was nowhere near the ball. Not 100% certain on that decision.

Keller didn't have much chance of saving the goal, his back four utterly failed him with their marking, but USA's equaliser was richly deserved since they've been going forward very well. With ten men a-piece though, if Marcello Lippi gives a good enough team-talk at half time, the Italians should be able to wrestle control of the game back and take the victory. Still, after the Czech Republic vs Ghana match, I'm not ruling ANYTHING out XD

Quote Originally Posted by Spatvark
    Mastroeni's tackle was horrific, though I'd like to see it a few more times before saying it definitely wasn't a red. The legs weren't high, but he went with both feet and was nowhere near the ball. Not 100% certain on that decision.
    Yeah, I think the replays mke it quite clear that it was worthy of a straight red. That sort of tackle is potentially dangerous, and there was no need for him to dive in the way he did. It's a shame really, since with the man advantage the USA had a good chance of pushing for the victory. Masteroeni's sending off will make things difficult for them again, althoguh like you say, after what we saw earlier today it would be foolish to rule out an upset here.

This is like 11 Manu Ginobili's at once.

Pope didn't touch the player, and he falls down, furiously grabbing his ankle. These are pathetic sportsmen.

DOWN TO 9??? WHAT THE....O___O

They must really like the colour red in Uruguay.

Edit: The red card happened just as I was about to type something. And after that there was no use saying it. o_o
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Another sending off? I think the referee will have some pretty serious questions to answer after this one.

But it does make sense, in a fashion. Eddie Pope committed an awful drag-down foul in the first half, and was rightfully yellow carded. If his second foul -- which I missed -- was just as bad and another yellow card worthy, then it could be justified.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D