View Poll Results: Who is gonna win? JUST WHO!?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Argentina

9 8.18%
  • Brazil

20 18.18%
  • Czech Republic

1 0.91%
  • England

17 15.45%
  • France

10 9.09%
  • Germany

9 8.18%
  • Italy

10 9.09%
  • Mexico

5 4.55%
  • Netherlands

3 2.73%
  • Portugal

4 3.64%
  • Spain

2 1.82%
  • USA

8 7.27%
  • Some team that isn't mentioned here, such as Ukraine.

12 10.91%
Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 123456789132353 ... LastLast

Thread: Zidane's Headbutt Discussion and also some stuff on that FIFA World Cup 2006 thing

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Well yeah, I still think they could qualify from their group, possibly even at Argentina's expense. Argentina were one of the favourites in 2002 and didn't make it out of the group stage, and it really wouldn't surprise me if either they or the Netherlands imploded. But that is probably the toughest group in the tournament, so it's not easy to predict who will come out on top.

Croatia eh? Interesting. Croatia have always been my second favourite international team, so I hope they do well.

Articles

I notice everyone has that John Terry guy on their roster. Is he any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Strider
    I notice everyone has that John Terry guy on their roster. Is he any good?
    lol, just the best centre back in the world. :P

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

John Terry is a king. Also half of the teams aren't showing up for me, I think. :{

You could of put Australia in the poll, Psy! I am offended >=[

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    You could of put Australia in the poll, Psy! I am offended >=[
    I'm the only one with an Australian in my squad (so far) so feel obliged to support my team if you so wish
    ...Geddit?

Group C is nearly impossible to call, and promises to provide some of the tournament's best matches. Argentina and Holland are both magnificent on their day, and Serbia's record speaks for itself. As for the Ivory Coast, while it may be their first tournament, to qualify from the CAF division is no easy task, and Senegal showed us in 2002 that 'new' sides are not to be underestimated.

Perhaps during the build-up we could go over each group individually. Here's my predictions:

Group A
    Germany
    Costa Rica
    Poland
    Ecuador

Germany are the obvious first choices from this group. Their national side may not be what it once was, but the home advantage has proved highly effective in the past at helping teams make progress, and none of these sides should pose a real threat to them. Second place is a much tougher call, though. I'm rather fond of Ecuador, but their pre-tournament form has been terrible, so my choice for second place would be Poland. They may not be the most exciting team in the world, but they're certainly more reliable than the other two. There's nothing to say that Ecuador or Costa Rica couldn't potentially make it, however.

Incidentally, tickets for Ecuador vs. Costa Rica are still available online. What do you say we organise an EoFF delegation to Germany to cheer on the mighty Ecuador?

Group B
    England
    Paraguay
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Sweden

First of all, let's discount Trinidad and Tobago straight away. They're not a terrible side (they beat Mexico in one of their qualifiers, although I think that might have been a weakened Mexican line-up) but any team that finishes fourth in the CONCACAF qualifiers is likely to struggle in this tournament. Paraguay are a reasonable side, but lack the spark needed to overcome rivals like England and Sweden. The outcome of the group will hinge on that last match between the two European sides, with the winner taking first place.

Group C
    Argentina
    Ivory Coast
    Serbia and Montenegro
    Netherlands

Gah, too close to call. Strong as they are, I don't think the Ivory Coast have quite what it takes to overcome opposition of this quality, but the other three are all likely qualifiers. I'd say Holland are the most temprimental side though, so I predict they'll choke and get eliminated.

On a side note, now that Montenegro have voted to split from Serbia and become an independant nation, who would get the World Cup if they won the trophy? It'd be an interesting basis for a war, at least.

Group D
    Mexico
    Iran
    Angola
    Portugal

One of the weaker groups overall, I can't see any of these teams going on to win this thing. Whethere there's any competition in this group or not depends on how Angola measure up. If they can take a point from Mexico or Portugal then they'll be in with a chance, but that's easier said than done. Chances are this will be a straightforward fight between the Mexicans and Portuguese for the top spot.

Group E
    Italy
    Ghana
    USA
    Czech. Republic

A horrible draw for the USA and Ghana, who would have great potential in a slightly weaker group. Sadly, they're matched up against a rejuvinated Italian side who are certain to go far in this tournament, and the Czechs, who rarely fail to exceed people's expectations. Interestingly though, both Ghana and the Czechs drew against Turkey in their warm-up matches, so they might be more evenly matched than we think. Still, it's difficult to go against the europeans in this group. But if there is going to be a surprise, it'll probably happen here.

Group F
    Brazil
    Croatia
    Australia
    Japan

It's all about second place here. Brazil are going to run away with this group, no doubt about it. Second is rather a tough call, though. Croatia aren't the side they once were, but are far from over the hill. Japan might seem to have a decent chance based upon their showing in 2002, but without a home crowd behind them they might not achieve the same level of success again. But surprisingly (and perhaps stupidly) I'm going to go for the Aussies on this one. Sure, it's a piece of cake qualifying from the OFC, but that doesn't change the fact that they've got a good side, and they've certainly got the potential to overcome Japan or Croatia. Plus, the whole thing just seems inevtiable to me. Cahill will score a last minute header against Croatia, and we'll be forced to spend the rest of the night watching drunk, tanned Australians waving rubber kangaroos in front of the BBC TV cameras.

Group G
    France
    Switzerland
    Korea Republic
    Togo

Now, I know France aren't the same team as they were six years ago, but it would take something spectacular to keep them from qualifying here. Korea's astonishing luck in 2002 won't help them this time, and Togo and Switzerland are two of the weaker teams from their respective continents in this year's competition. Second place will be a fight between those two, and I can see Togo taking this one ahead of the Swiss.

Group H
    Spain
    Ukraine
    Tunisia
    Saudi Arabia

GROUP OF DEATH. I'm not even going to pretend I can predict the outcome of this one.

Go on folks, your turn.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

Group A
    Germany
    Costa Rica
    Poland
    Ecuador

Group B
    England
    Paraguay
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Sweden

Group C
    Argentina
    Ivory Coast
    Serbia and Montenegro
    Netherlands

Group D
    Mexico
    Iran
    Angola
    Portugal

Group E
    Italy
    Ghana
    USA
    Czech. Republic

Group F
    Brazil
    Croatia
    Australia
    Japan

Group G
    France
    Switzerland
    Korea Republic
    Togo

Group H
    Spain
    Ukraine
    Tunisia
    Saudi Arabia

that was easy!
    ...Geddit?

Well i've signed up for the fantasy league. Never done one before so i'm sure i'll fail horribly.

As for the actual World Cup. I'd like to think England can win it, but having watched enough World Cups/European Championships and seen us go on on Peneltys or for dubious disallowed goals, I can just see it happeneing again.

So my vote was for Argentina. They may have the toughest group but I think along with Holland they'll get through it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Every time I look at the group Ghana are in, I laugh. Seriously, how screwed up is that? #48 (Ghana) getting drawn with the teams ranked #2 (Czech), #5 (USA), and #13 (Italy) in the world.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Incidentally, tickets for Ecuador vs. Costa Rica are still available online. What do you say we organise an EoFF delegation to Germany to cheer on the mighty Ecuador?
    I am Costa Rica for life. Paolo Wanchope is my hero.

Double post but I don't care. I feel sorry for Jamie Carragher. Also, we should be at LEAST 1-0 up here D:

Edit: wtf Hargreaves no

Edit2: I love you steven gerrard <3333

Edit3: and you, John Terry <33333333

Edit4 by someone who will make themselves obvious by calling you a dingdong: I care. Don't double post, you dingdong.

A decent performance overall, with no real problems to speak of besides Sven's insistence on trusting Hargreaves instead of giving Michael Carrick a chance in the first team. Joe Cole was particularly impressive on the left, proving that he's come on in leaps and bounds over the past couple of seasons. Walcott did nothing to impress me, and with Owen not quite himself it was good to see Peter Crouch come up with an excellent strike. Awful celebration, though.

But yeah, with another warm-up game left to go, things are looking promising.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The robot was so badly done that it was so good! ^^

might I also add:
    Germany 2 : 2 Japan
    was 0 : 2 for japan until germany got two in in a span of like 10 minutes. Germany gotta do better than that if they wanna get anywhere...

Group A:
    Germany/ Costa Rica/ Poland/ Ecuador

Group B:
    England / Paraguay / Trinidad and Tobago / Sweden

Group C:
    Argentina / Côte d'Ivoire / Serbia and Montenegro / Netherlands

Group D:
    Mexico / Iran / Angola / Portugal

Group E:
    Italy / Ghana / USA / Czech Republic

Group F:
    Brazil / Croatia / Australia / Japan

Group G:
    France / Switzerland / Korea Republic / Togo

Group H:
    Spain / Ukraine / Tunisia / Saudi Arabia
    Last edited by Croyles; 05-30-2006 at 10:35 PM.

I voted for Brazil, but I don't partake on the "heh, we've won by default" opinion that rules on my country now. Overall, yes, we're the best team, but it's not rare for the best team to be kicked out by an inferior one (even if it's the referee's fault...Spaniards still have nightmares).

If Brazil doesn't win, it'll be because of Italy, which (if all goes well, that is) might meet us at the 4th or 5th match. Other than that, France and Germany will be great disappointments, England will perform quite the campaign (but no titles this year), and I wouldn't care if Argentina lost all three matches. Portugal, though...I can't predict its future. Scolari is at the helm, and we all know what he's capable of, but his team isn't that good, to be honest.

Oh, and Brazil 8x0 Lucerna. Sorry, had to say it, just like the Germans must've bragged over their 7x0.

Rofl, Ronaldinho fouled the referee in a corner kick, and that goalkeeper from Colombia scored a goal (first time I saw a goal like that). I hope the World Cup will be as fun to watch as this.