View Poll Results: Who is gonna win? JUST WHO!?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Argentina

9 8.18%
  • Brazil

20 18.18%
  • Czech Republic

1 0.91%
  • England

17 15.45%
  • France

10 9.09%
  • Germany

9 8.18%
  • Italy

10 9.09%
  • Mexico

5 4.55%
  • Netherlands

3 2.73%
  • Portugal

4 3.64%
  • Spain

2 1.82%
  • USA

8 7.27%
  • Some team that isn't mentioned here, such as Ukraine.

12 10.91%
Page 1 of 85 1234567112151 ... LastLast

Thread: Zidane's Headbutt Discussion and also some stuff on that FIFA World Cup 2006 thing

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Tongue Zidane's Headbutt Discussion and also some stuff on that FIFA World Cup 2006 thing

Okay, as I'm sure most of the world knows, the World Cup is coming soon. So here's a thread for all discussion. Talk about who you will support, who you think will win, who will be the shocks of the tournament. Who will flop? Which players will earn a reputation for themselves, and which ones will be forgotten forever?

When the matches start in a couple of weeks or so, they can be discussed too.

Group A:
    Germany/ Costa Rica/ Poland/ Ecuador

Group B:
    England / Paraguay / Trinidad and Tobago / Sweden

Group C:
    Argentina / Côte d'Ivoire / Serbia and Montenegro / Netherlands

Group D:
    Mexico / Iran / Angola / Portugal

Group E:
    Italy / Ghana / USA / Czech Republic

Group F:
    Brazil / Croatia / Australia / Japan

Group G:
    France / Switzerland / Korea Republic / Togo

Group H:
    Spain / Ukraine / Tunisia / Saudi Arabia

And now, onto the Fantasy Football section.

Even if you have no idea what you're doing, join up and pick people because you like their name. Go on, it'll be a laugh.

http://en.fifaworldcup.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

I decided we may as well use the official one. Note that you have to pick a squad of 23 players, and then choose which ones you want to play in each match. It sounds good to me!

League ID: 17877
    Password: bladen
    (in lower case, just as it is written here)

Good luck...if anybody can be bothered to join (you don't want me to win by default, do you? )

Anyway, it is my personal belief that Italy shall win. They've been extremely impressive and efficient in warm up friendlies against big sides, and they have a lot of quality in Gillardino, Totti, Toni, Inzaghi, De Rossi, Pirlo, Camoranesi, Iaquinta and Gattuso among others.

That and Rooney's crocked, so y'know.

So why isn't the 5th-ranked team in the world not given its own name in the poll?

Articles

Because the 5th-ranked team in the world got its ranking because the only decent team in its federation (besides itself) is Mexico. As hard as it is to claim victories over the football powerhouses that are Hondouras, Guatemala and Canada, I don't think the USA will win it. Heck, I don't think they'll make it out of their group.

But if it makes you happy, I'll add them. And if that was your vote for another team, let me know if you want it changing to USA.

EDIT: Whoa never mind, I just heard that USA have toppled the mighty Venezuela. Watch out, Brazil, you are sure to be next.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    Because the 5th-ranked team in the world got its ranking because the only decent team in its federation (besides itself) is Mexico. As hard as it is to claim victories over the football powerhouses that are Hondouras, Guatemala and Canada, I don't think the USA will win it. Heck, I don't think they'll make it out of their group.

But if it makes you happy, I'll add them. And if that was your vote for another team, let me know if you want it changing to USA.
    Yes, I voted for the US. Not necessarily because I think they'll win (because I don't - I'll be happy with a Final Eight showing), but because it's my obligation.

Articles

Whenever we say we think England are going to win it because of obligation, we get lots of abuse from Wales, Ireland, and particularly Scotland. I hope Canadians don't go around saying "I am going to buy an Italy, Czech. Rep and Ghana shirt!" like certain other bitter and inferior rivals from the frozen north that I could name.

(yes I love editing my posts)

You voted for Italy, after whats happen in Italy at the moment, i doubt they would get past the 2nd round. P[lus out of all the Italian players, Toni is the only one who has really been playing well. The likes of Pirlo, Gattuso and Gilardino have had a par season to previous seasons.

I voted for England, not because it's my obligation, because i think they can do it and i'll laugh at Wales and Scotland whilst England attempt to.

Only 11 days to wait!! Hurry up!! Big Brother is killing me!
    Last edited by Russielloyd; 05-29-2006 at 05:01 AM.

Articles

De Rossi had a fantastic season, as did Pippo Inzaghi. Still, a lot of the England players didn't have a good season either, like Owen and A. Cole, and Lampard and J. Cole seem to have burned off towards the end.

I think we'll be alright as long as we don't defend too deep, like we have in previous tournaments. Personally I'd like to see in games against good sides (ie, any featured in the poll) us revert to 4-5-1 with Crouch as a lone striker to hold the ball up, setting up some nice passes and balls for Lampard and Gerrard to come on to, with Carrick playing the holding role.

Otherwise we can stick with the traditional 4-4-2 in games against Trinidad and co.

I just hope it's Carragher and Terry in the centre of defense, though knowing Sven he will start with Rio for Carragher

Also, just looking at the FIFA rankings, all i have to say is just that it's all bollocks!!(soz).

I mean, Mexico 4th????, USA 5th???? Spain joint 5th even, though they did well in the qualifiers but they flop almost all the time in the big competitions.

Czech Republic 2nd!! Okay there good but 2nd???? don't think so. I think England should least be in the top 6 maybe.

Only team who deserve there spot, is Brazil in 1st place.

Anyways, the England team i would start with would be....

---------------Robinson---------------

Neville--Carragher---Terry--A.Cole

Beckham--Gerrard--Lampard--J.Cole

-------------Rooney------------------- (Replaced with Crouch)
    ----------------------Owen--------

Articles

Haha, we all know he'll play Rio. Still, I'm not too irked about that. Carragher and Terry are both similar in style, and we'd probably defend deeper with Carra and Terry than if we had Rio and Terry. Carra is mostly for all-purpose defensive cover, which is a shame for a player of his quality, but it shows we have strength in depth.

Also, have you noticed how we always seem to lose in major tournaments after going ahead? Germany in Euro 96, Argentina in France 98, Portugal in Euro 2000, Brazil in 2002, and France and Portugal in 2004. I'm not too sure about who took the lead first in the two Romania games, but oh well. I think we really do need to learn how to hold onto a lead more than anything else.

I'm not too opposed to Mexico's rank as they're a good side. They deservedly beat Brazil in the Confederation Cup (Yeah, I know that's not worth much, but they were very impressive) They should do well in this World Cup, possibly reaching the Quarters or the Semis, and I've made Marquez the captain of my fantasy football team.

The others are all pretty iffy, yeah, (Nigeria and Denmark who didn't even qualify, for example...) but the tournament should sort them all out.

Brazil is stacked... Rhonaldino, Ronaldo, what more do you want?

Yeah but Carragher, 35 odd cleansheets says it all really and Rio's backwards header V Blackburn which gave Blackburn a lead they never let go of (which makes me happy when i see that "whoops" expression across his face, WOOO GO BLACKBURN!) says it all really! He's too prone to mistakes, shouldn't start imo.

Hopefully i'll get out of this dump they call Wales and find my way to an English pub(probably in Bristol) and cheer with the fellow countrymen. It's no fun celebrating whilst being surrounded by people who are still like "World cup?.....what's that?", therefore no one to celbrate with, so i think i'll be crossing the border. You got any plans where to watch outside of the house?

And in that Romania match, they took the lead, then we made it 2-1, then they won 3-2.

Also aswell, i'll make my fantasy team after some sleep, because i'm too tired to balance it all out.

I find it very difficult to go against Brazil. Every other world powerhouse does the same thing every World Cup, they go in looking fantastic on paper, and then underachieve horribly. While it's certainly conceivable that Italy, Spain or the like could win the tournament, none of them are reliable enough to be considered a safe bet in the way Brazil are. This goes for England too, by the way.

I'll register my fantasy football team later. Failure takes time, you know.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Cool, I've signed up for the fantasy football. I don't know half of the players that I've picked. Hmm.

I have no idea who is going to win the World Cup. If Brazil don't perform as well as they can, it could be a bit open: England, Germany, Argentina, Holland, France. Hard to say.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yay go Germany. Yes I voted for them because i'm a bit more than half German and I consider it my obligation ^_~ I hope they do well, and dont play the crappy kinda football they usually play!

Blog Entries

I voted Mexico because I am one eighth cuban, which is close enough to Mexico. smurf England.

there was a picture here