Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will FFXIII break tradition?

FF make changes to see the reaction,
    if they like the change, then they continue with that, they will try to add new system along the way.
    if they don't, they will try to do new change.

Mirage, all Tales Series are like Tales of Symphonia.

The Late Owen Macwere Production.

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon Kain
    i already don't think i'll like FFXII. i played the demo and could hardly even stand to play it. so far this game seems even worse. it seems like they're trying to make all of their new FF's to be like MMORPGS and i hate it. i mean FFX-2 for example, although not a MMORPG the game has the same type of feel and fast paced battles as them. FFXII you only get control of one of your characters although you can switch, it's just not the same. FFXIII appears like it will be a hack and slash game. GREAT!:rolleyes2
    It was a demo you played, something not finished. Play the actual game first, makes sense, doesn't it? Do people seriously wanna stick with the tacky random battles, and wait a turn before you attack gameplay? FF is trying to become somewhat realistic - seriously, do you expect monsters to sit there and wait for your turn to attack, or do you want to see something which makes sense, like the battle system of XII/XIII.

~Setzer Gabianni

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

Quote Originally Posted by Setzer Gabianni
    i already don't think i'll like FFXII. i played the demo and could hardly even stand to play it. so far this game seems even worse. it seems like they're trying to make all of their new FF's to be like MMORPGS and i hate it. i mean FFX-2 for example, although not a MMORPG the game has the same type of feel and fast paced battles as them. FFXII you only get control of one of your characters although you can switch, it's just not the same. FFXIII appears like it will be a hack and slash game. GREAT!:rolleyes2
    It was a demo you played, something not finished. Play the actual game first, makes sense, doesn't it? Do people seriously wanna stick with the tacky random battles, and wait a turn before you attack gameplay? FF is trying to become somewhat realistic - seriously, do you expect monsters to sit there and wait for your turn to attack, or do you want to see something which makes sense, like the battle system of XII/XIII.

~Setzer Gabianni
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by BustaMo
    Quote Originally Posted by sexymonkey
    its official, you fight in a party

heres loads of new bits of info!

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/710/710761p1.html
    Yeah, sexymonkey is correct. Square announced that they are only showing just the female right now, but will reveal the rest of the party later. Why release all the info at once? Square has to keep some things secret for a while.

Party's are going to play a big role in FFXIII just as they have in every other FF game to date. It's also been said that the female supposedly named "Lightning" may or may not be the lead character of the game, but a female lead for FFXIII is almost a sure bet.

This is kind of controversial on Square's move here, but like previous posters have stated, Square Enix is about experimenting at times.
    That's interesting, always just assumed that that character would be the main. Looking forward to seeing the rest if the party, I'm glad its not just one person the whole way through.

And change is a good thing. But sometimes too much change means you lose what was originally so great in teh first place.

The demo doesn't tell absolutely everything about how the finished product will be. From what I've heard, the final game is much better than the demo made it out to be. Then again, you could be right too, we won't know 'til we play the game.

As for FFXIII, I personally like the faster paced battles. The new battle system introduced in X-2 was awesome imo, and I'm glad they're adding something similar again. If you don't like that, it's fine too. I for one am very excited for FFXIII.

no matter how important something might be (ie. a giant meteor is in the sky and threatening the planet) you can always just stop in at the Golden Saucer and gamble on some dodos running around a track.
    --SmileyBoss(GameFAQs)

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Final Fantasy's only real tradition is how much it breaks tradition. Observe:

FFI: First game, no tradition at this point.
    FFII: OMG the party changes and there's characters who die and they completely changed the level up system!
    FFIII: Whew, much more like the first one!
    FFIV: OMG five character parties and fixed jobs! OUTRAGE!
    FFV: What? Mixing jobs? That's just weird!
    FFVI: OMG Esper and Relic system! And you can swap party members! SOOOOO NOT FINAL FANTASY!!!11
    FFVII: OMG Three person Cyberpunk Materia Sephiroth Limit Breaks FMVs! NOT FINAL FANTASY AT ALL!!!!!!11
    FFVIII: OMG Junction system! OMG sci-fi setting!
    FFIX: Hey! Traditional! Right? RIGHT? Medieval = traditional! IT'S TRADITIONAL DAMNIT!
    FFX: OMG Blitzball & Sphere grid!
    FFX-2: OMG real time battle system! OMG Dresspheres! WHERE IS OUR FINAL FANTASY?!?!
    FFXI: ZOMG ONLINE?!?!?!?! HOW CAN IT BE FINAL FANTASY IF IT'S ONLINE?!?!?!?!
    FFXII: YOUR BATTLE SYSTEM IS SILLY! THIS IS NOT A FINAL FANTASY GAME! IT ISN'T TRADITIONAL!

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Final Fantasy's only real tradition is how much it breaks tradition. Observe:

FFI: First game, no tradition at this point.
    FFII: OMG the party changes and there's characters who die and they completely changed the level up system!
    FFIII: Whew, much more like the first one!
    FFIV: OMG five character parties and fixed jobs! OUTRAGE!
    FFV: What? Mixing jobs? That's just weird!
    FFVI: OMG Esper and Relic system! And you can swap party members! SOOOOO NOT FINAL FANTASY!!!11
    FFVII: OMG Three person Cyberpunk Materia Sephiroth Limit Breaks FMVs! NOT FINAL FANTASY AT ALL!!!!!!11
    FFVIII: OMG Junction system! OMG sci-fi setting! OMFG EMO PROTAGONIST! WITH BROWN HAIR! AND FEATHER COLLAR!
    FFIX: Hey! Traditional! Right? RIGHT? Medieval = traditional! IT'S TRADITIONAL DAMNIT! ESPECIALLY WITH THE INVINCIBLE!
    FFX: OMG Blitzball & Sphere grid! AND A HOMOSEXUAL MAIN CHARACTER!!! WTF?!
    FFX-2: OMG real time battle system! OMG Dresspheres! WHERE IS OUR FINAL FANTASY?!?! AND A LESBIAN PROTAGONIST PAIN!!
    FFXI: ZOMG ONLINE?!?!?!?! HOW CAN IT BE FINAL FANTASY IF IT'S ONLINE?!?!?!?!
    FFXII: YOUR BATTLE SYSTEM IS SILLY! THIS IS NOT A FINAL FANTASY GAME! IT ISN'T TRADITIONAL! MAIN CHARACTER STILL LOOKS LIKE A FAG LIKE IN FFX THOUGH!!

Thank you Hysterian!

Quote Originally Posted by MageLuingil
    The demo doesn't tell absolutely everything about how the finished product will be. From what I've heard, the final game is much better than the demo made it out to be. Then again, you could be right too, we won't know 'til we play the game.

As for FFXIII, I personally like the faster paced battles. The new battle system introduced in X-2 was awesome imo, and I'm glad they're adding something similar again. If you don't like that, it's fine too. I for one am very excited for FFXIII.

i hope you are right about the finished product being way better than the demo. i understand that it was just a demo and it could be better but if it doesnt i dont even think i will be able to stand playing this game. i like the characters but the battle system and the FREAKING HORRIBLE CAMERA ANGLES just turn me off from the game.
    http://z4.invisionfree.com/WiFi_Gym_...ex.php?act=idx

Join my wifi gym project. Leader spots are available. Please send me an application.

Default HELP!

Final fantasy games are always good - no one can deny that, but the big question is this (for me at least)

Should I buy the PS3 now, and wait for FFXIII to come out (Since it probably won't come out for like 3 years) or buy 360 now, and have loads of fun --- so ultimately my question is, when is FFXIII going to come out, because if I buy my 360, and then it comes out next year, I won't have enough for PS3! IM SO CONFUSED! PLEASE HELP! just tell me your opinions!!!

From what I understand, FFXIII is supposed to come out some time around the end of next year. I don't have any definitive sources for this though...

no matter how important something might be (ie. a giant meteor is in the sky and threatening the planet) you can always just stop in at the Golden Saucer and gamble on some dodos running around a track.
    --SmileyBoss(GameFAQs)

so then what should I buy?

PS3 - 600 dollars, OUCH! but final fantasy XIII may be coming out soon
    or
    XBOX360 - 400 dollars, not so bad, but no ffXIII and if I buy it, no PS3 for at least a few years

I don't know about that. I'm probably gonna get a PS3 when XIII comes out, I think that game alone's gonna be worth the mone But there's good games on the 360 too, so ... what are you going to want to play more?

--SmileyBoss(GameFAQs)

OMG! BREAKING TRADITION?!?! No FF has done that before. In fact, they are all alike.

Anyway, this topic is pretty pointless now that they've confirmed that there will be multiple party members and that the female in the video might not even be the lead character.

I hope it will have more than one playable character, because one of the best reasons for playing FF is the characters and how they interact and develop with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffing cheese on msn
    SEAN BEAN IS AMAZING.
    Lameshout: Lamers That Matter

not only that, even though the babe is pretty awesome, it would get very boring if you could only play her, cause she has her own set of abilities. Like if you had a knight, but thats all you could play, no magic, no summons, no anything except swords and other weapons.
    I think...I want to be forgiven...