Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will FFXIII break tradition?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will FFXIII break tradition?

I'm not sure if anyone has really breached this topic or not, but is it possible that FFXIII will be a single character game, breaking the series-long tradition of multi-character parties?
    I submit the following information as evidence for this argument:
    Exhibit I) In Scan 4 from the foreign language expose on the front page:
    (http://www.eyesonff.com/images/news/ffxiiiscan4.jpg),
    at the top right is an inset table listing the number of characters allowed in a party since the first FF. For example, in FFI, four characters are allowed, while in FFXI, six characters may fight simultaneously. I believe the authors of this article then are commenting on the likliehood of FFXIII's heroine going at it alone throughout the game!
    Exhibit II) On the same scan, and many of the others displaying battle scenes, the "radar" box at the top left of every scan shows the heroine's position in relation to her enemies. If there were ever to be more than one character in the party, where would their position be displayed? Unless they occupied the same exact space, it would make the radar box somewhat difficult to comprehend. Also, the heroine's position always remains in the center of the box in every shot, again supporting the fact that she may be your only playable character.
    Exhibit III) The heroine's mastery of many different weapons may be another clue. Traditionally, each character had their weapon, be it sword, spear or staff; those weapons may change in appearance, but characters rarely traded in one genre of weapon for another. Yet, here we have a heroine that in the few glimpses we have wields both sword and firearm, with perhaps more options forthcoming. Granted, the gunblade has appeared before, but not in this capacity (Squall and Seifer utilized the gunblade, but I can't recall them ever taking shots with it). While my FF knowledge is not all-encompassing, I cannot recall a major playable character with the ability to switch their weapon type. Therefore, it may be that our heroine will be the only character available, with her ability to change weapons making up for the lack of other characters.
    Anywayz, I'm done with the soapbox ~ if anyone else has an opinion on this subject or other conjecture...

EDIT: Since this post, I have discovered that LunarWeaver has previously proposed the possibility of a single playable character... Just wanted to give credit where it was due...
    Last edited by Khisanth; 05-29-2006 at 05:20 AM.