Thread: "I've never tried..."

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default "I've never tried..."

Much like the author of this thread, there's a line in AC that's quite open-ended, and its true meaning - if there is just one - is hard to interpret.

In the Forgotten City, after his flashback, Cloud asks Vincent, "Can sins ever be forgiven?" to which Vincent replies, "I've never tried".
    Does Vincent mean he's never tried to be forgiven for his own sins, or he's never tried to forgive others?

A major part of Vincent's story arc in the original game was his desire to atone for his 'sins', mainly failing to protect Lucrecia and stop Hojo. But perhaps atonement is different from receiving forgiveness...

So, what do you think he meant?

Atonement is an act of recompense. You're trying to even out the wrongs you've done.

Forgiveness, meanwhile, is basically being told that atonement is unneeded.

Vincent, I think, does not want forgiveness. I think he feels that he actually DOES need to go through the acts of atonement, for whatever reason.

I agree with Ryushikaze. Vincent wants atonement, and Cloud wants forgiveness. I think that Vincent feels that he's done something horrible, even if it wasnt all that bad, so he never asked to be forgiven. Instead, he punishes himself.
    MySpace ^_^
    Member of the KH Trinity

I concur. The reason Vincent never tried to be forgiven, is because he felt as though he must atone for his sins. Which I'm hoping Dirge of Cerberus will cover as well. Advent Children was so that Cloud would be forgiven, maybe DoC will be the same or similar thing for Vincent.

Actually, AC was so that Cloud would forgive himself, or realize that there was nothing to atone or be forgiven for. But that is a minor nitpick.

Does Vincent mean he's never tried to be forgiven for his own sins, or he's never tried to forgive others?
    Good question. I always believed it was Vincent forgiving himself, not being able to save Felicia from Hojo.

Quote Originally Posted by ~SapphireStar~
    Good question. I always believed it was Vincent forgiving himself, not being able to save Felicia from Hojo.
    Lucrecia, you mean?

Sorry yes I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    Much like the author of this thread, there's a line in AC that's quite open-ended, and its true meaning - if there is just one - is hard to interpret.

In the Forgotten City, after his flashback, Cloud asks Vincent, "Can sins ever be forgiven?" to which Vincent replies, "I've never tried".

A major part of Vincent's story arc in the original game was his desire to atone for his 'sins', mainly failing to protect Lucrecia and stop Hojo. But perhaps atonement is different from receiving forgiveness...

So, what do you think he meant?
    Maybe he meant that he never tried to forgive the people who wronged him or it could be what others have stated with the forgiveness/atonement thing.
    If only, if only.

I agree with the original idea; Vincent never wanted forgiveness, he wanted atonement. Though (And I know very little about DoC, since it has not come to America yet), I feel that, in the end, he will recieve forgiveness instead of atonement.

i think vincent answered the question in this way because he meant it both ways!!! he has never tried to forgive, perhaps he feels that forgiveness is for those who truly deserve it, and he has never met one who truly has, in his eyes this includes himself! (imo anyway )