Thread: import Super NES Square Enix games

Default import Super NES Square Enix games

Here is my collection:

FFV (I think you know which original company made this game)
    FFVI (this one too)
    Rudra no Hihou (ok, time to assist those curious and not so hardcore: Square)
    Seiken Densetsu 3 (Square) (that and FFV seem to be the more popular imports; my friend has those)
    Star Ocean (Enix, dev. by TriAce, who did Tales of Phantasia as Wolfteam, but someone else developed the other Tales games, except for Motoi Sakuraba, who's a freelance composer. Yes, they did the other two Star Ocean games, and also Valkyrie Profile)
    Tenchi Souzou (Enix, dev. by Quintet, who did the other two in the Soul Blazer trilogy)

Thought about also getting
    Bahamut Lagoon (Square)
    FFIV
    Front Mission (Square and G Craft, don't know anything about G Craft)
    FM: Gun Hazard (Square and Omiyn Soft, don't know anything about Omiyn Soft, either)
    Live a Live (Square)
    Romancing Saga 1,2,3 (Square) (my friend has the 3rd one)
    Treasure Hunter G (Square)

Anybody else have these games? What do you think of them? What about the ones I don't have, yet? Reccomendations? Oh, I already know FFIV is good, probably better than our version if I play along with a successfully translated ROM.

FFV: better than the Anth version. You don't have to rely on a translated ROM so much when talking to people or reading the story like I do in Tales of Phantasia which uses a ton more kanji.

FFVI: This game is also fun. I like how the ROM translation I found is more mature (aside from the f words). I kinda need it, too, as, although it doesn't have as much kanji as in Tales of Phantasia, it's still enough to intimidate me. It's also nice to see more freedom with names of monsters (this game is not unique in this matter) and names of characters, both as is and what I can now fit in them (like my name!). Feels more like a PS1 game (Tales of Phantasia definitely feels like a PS1 game, especially when they let you put the music on surround on a stereo system) or like FFVII (names like potion instead of tonic and stuff). Oh, and it was really weird seeing them naming her Tina, since I've started the game 10 times and am used to seeing Terra, but of course I knew they were gonna do that. (Note on my sanity: no, I've only completed the whole game a couple times on PS1).

I've tried out Rudora no Hihou. I was probably gonna get more into the game later, but there are still plenty of games I still need to get to. It's kinda like the SD or SaGa series in that you play multiple people at different times, and that's kinda cool. It's story intensive, though, so a translated ROM is a must for this game unless you've taken like 10 semesters of Japanese. The graphics are good, and so is the music.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is good, but I should probably get the first two Seiken Densetsu. Why oh why didn't they release that game here. That was probably one of their most questionable decisions. No wait; releasing Secret of Evermore here was their worst decision. I have the ROM, and I don't like it at all. The pet system is cheesy. Anyway, SD3 is great. The characters in that game are very creative, it feels like Super Mario RPG (especially the sound, like when you open a door; it's the same sound effect), and the music is cool.

Star Ocean: This game is good. It's one of the two cartridges that maxed out the memory on the cartridge. And the gameplay isn't bad. The beginning is enough to make someone have a heart attack if they're used to games that were released here on the Super NES. Well, that and Tales of Phantasia, which has a jpop song at the beginning. The beginning should have been voiced by Patrick Stewart, though. "to go where no one has gone before!" *insert star trek I mean ocean theme here*

Tenchi Souzou: if you visit the Gen SqEx forum often, you've already seen me write about this good game. This post is already a long one. Sorry, I'm in college, and they train me to write a lot.
    Last edited by Weimar Pluto Knight VII; 05-29-2006 at 09:45 AM.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Another good one is Act Raiser, which combines elements of Sim City with an action platformer. Then there's E.V.O. which is an action RPG based (losely) on the concept of evolution. There's also Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars but that game alone gets so much discussion it's almost not worth bringing up. I also have a distinct fondness for Soul Blazer as it was my first SNES action RPG. Paladin's Quest was a well known game back in the day, but I can't speak to its popularity, and I'm not terribly fond of it either. Finally there's The 7th Saga, which is often creditted as being "the hardest RPG of all time ever." I never got that far in it so I can't really speak on its difficulty.

Yeah, I've heard of those. I should get the ROM for EVO to see how good it is. Same goes for the other two games in the Soul Blazer games.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Glad you enjoy the 'max outters'. (SO:FSO and ToP.) I've only played the first on a ROM, and the GBA remake of ToP.

So you get these from different sources? I've only imported one Famicom game I can't even play, and that's just from Ebay.

About 95% of the time, I'm able to get my ROMs from some mysterious safe website I'm not gonna tell you about. The FF and Mario roms have been difficult to get recently, though. I'm afraid to google for them, b/c I've contracted spyware from doing that before. One time I got Aurora on this computer. Thankfully google, the double edged sword that it is, helped me find stuff to cure my computer.

However, it's not illegal to download patches to translate or hack your ROM. Here are a couple of links to those. If eyesonff doesn't want these links, fine, someone can delete them, but websites that have these don't carry ROMs on them.

http://www.zophar.net/newtrans/?op=show&type=snes
    http://dejap.com/projects.php

Finally, I get all my cartridges from ebay.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, "my collection" means I have the cartridges for them.

You say you imported an original FC game? Well, good luck finding a copy of Gyromite with an adapter in it, or go find a Famicom AV off ebay. I have two original FC games (FFII and FFIII), but haven't found an adapter or bought a FC-AV, yet. But if you mean Super Famicom, you just pick away at tabs with pliers in your Super NES loading thing; that's all you do. But be careful; don't touch the rectangular piece in there. Boom, you can play import cartridges from Japan. Oh, and if you're from Europe, you don't have to do that b/c your consoles look the same as Super Famicoms, but you need to do something more complicated to stop the region chip or something from stopping you. My roommate was able to remove most of the tabs, and it's funny, some cartridges like ToP fit nicely in there, but Star Ocean has a tad harder time getting in there.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I also have a super secret site I can't tell you about, so ROMs and Patches are easy for me to find. (I don't download a whole ton of 'em though.)

I meant the first Famicom; I imported FFIII.

And of course you got the cartridges; you wouldn't've made a whole thread about this if you had the ROMs would you?

An FC adapter you say? I'll have to look into that... I'm glad the older games don't have kanji.