Thread: Explain to me...

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Explain to me...

I've always wondered this. What is the difference between a normal movie theatre and a Dollar Theatre? Besides the paying price? We don't have Dollar Theatres in NY, or at least, in the parts of NY I've been to. Are the movies older and crappier (well, not crappier, but less Hollywood. Though that'd actually make them better, as of late. xD)? Is it the same type of movies as a normla movie theatre has? Are Dollar Theatres only in small areas and are they cleaner, smaller and nicer than normal movie theatres? I don't know why a place would offer anyone the opportunity to see movies for only a dollar, since places around here make you pay close to 7 dollars. I must know.

Articles

7 dollars? Jesus, that's cheap. We have to pay $9.00 for a nighttime screening.

There used to be dollar theatres around here, but they all closed down after the big bad movie megaplexes moved in. I miss them.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I think it's only 7 dollars for me and my friends because we're not adults. They're more expensive for adults, I believe.

Blog Entries

I do think that the movies are somewhat older, but I don't know about crappier. I don't think they have the rights to show big Blockbuster movies, so they charge less, and show older movies. <<

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They just play movies a few months after their release, so you can get in cheaper. The one I've gone to has pretty good facilities, just older movies. It was just like any big, multi-theater chain place, with arcade and nice concession stand and all. The movies range from good to suck, just like any theater.

edit: Also, $7 for a movie? That's rifriggindiculous. I have a local theater that charges $4 for adults, and I think even the big chain places out of town only charge $5 or so. Of course they kill you on concession prices, but still, you can sneak those in.

It only costs 5 or 6 dollars to get in to see a movie here. That's Canadian, chumps.

casual mind slip

We have 2.50 dollar movie theatres. o.o I guess once upon a time you could go there and watch a movie for a dollar. It's the older theatres we have in town, and you can watch movies that are about ready to be sent to the rental place. So yeah, you get the older movies. Like a few days ago I went to watch "She's the Man" which isn't in normal theatres anymore or at blockbuster yet.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    Well, I think it's only 7 dollars for me and my friends because we're not adults. They're more expensive for adults, I believe.
    Yeah it usually is. Up where I live, adult is ten dollars. Fortunately, if you have a student ID (any ID, even middle or high school), the price is down to 6 dollars. WOOT!

Dollar theatres generally play older movies, and from the name, I would venture to guess that it's somewhat cheaper. Plus, if it's showing old movies, not as many people will see them; less mess to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    I've always wondered this. What is the difference between a normal movie theatre and a Dollar Theatre? Besides the paying price? We don't have Dollar Theatres in NY, or at least, in the parts of NY I've been to. Are the movies older and crappier (well, not crappier, but less Hollywood. Though that'd actually make them better, as of late. xD)? Is it the same type of movies as a normla movie theatre has? Are Dollar Theatres only in small areas and are they cleaner, smaller and nicer than normal movie theatres? I don't know why a place would offer anyone the opportunity to see movies for only a dollar, since places around here make you pay close to 7 dollars. I must know.
    7??? .....you MUST tell me where the heck that is, in NYC it's 12 in most places

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Dollar Cinemas, empty scary places with older (not to much older) movies.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dollar theaters allow you tow atch the movie instead of having to rent it for the same price!

also they're much dirtier and more run down on the whole.

(by my first statement, I mean that the movies are generally close to or already on dvd/vhs by the time the cheapwoods of the worlds get them)

actually many of them have been victims of inflation and now charge two dollars, 1.50 on thursdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    edit: Also, $7 for a movie? That's rifriggindiculous. I have a local theater that charges $4 for adults, and I think even the big chain places out of town only charge $5 or so. Of course they kill you on concession prices, but still, you can sneak those in.
    That's what the Lowery in town costs, I think, or $6. and I'm pretty sure the ones in layfayette were about $7, $7.50.

Oh, as an example of the time frame, my friends and I watched the second Harry potter movie there in February around valentine's day (I believe it was the 13th). It had come out in november.

But, once our entire grade took a field trip there to watch Power Rangers Turbo in fourth grade xD

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    Well it all evens out. I mean, in SoCal we need to pay anywhere between 7-10 dollars for an adult ticket. Cheaper with student discounts. But our minimum wage is probably higher than in your area, it's just under $7.00. But yeah, the price for movie tickets suck. I remember the days when it used to be about $4.00 for an adult movie ticket. Good ol' days.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Silly Americans. I have to pay £6-7 for a movie over here. That's US$11-13, so yeah. Of course, we have the £10.99 per month for an all-access card that means you can watch as many movies as you like, so as long as you watch a couple of movies a month then you're set.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!