Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help a newbie like me out!

Quote Originally Posted by GOD GUNDAM
    What is the difference when there the weapon's stat:damage is +2 when the damage is 2? Also, what is the water attribute for my shield, since there is a waterdrop symbol +2 for its stat?
    I'm not completely sure I understand the question but it sounds like you're taking about hand-to-hand weapons. H2H weapons add delay (there would be 0 if you were barehanded) and usually have damage like +2 since it's adding to your barehands. Other weapons might just have damage of 2 (not +2) because that is the weapons damage and there is no comparison to someting like a barehanded sword. Kinda confusing but that's the way it is.

As for the waterdrop (or any other symbol) this means it adds 2 resistance to that element. This means you'll have a little extra resistance to any water spells or water based spells (Poison is a water based spell). Of course 2 resistance is scarcely noticable really.

There are things to keep in mind about the delay of weapons. For one keep in mind every weapon has a DPS (damage per second). Multiple the damage by 60 and divide that answer by the delay. Even though some weapons might hit way harder and a little slower they could still be doing less DoT (damage over time.

Bronze Zahgnal (Scythe) Dmg 14 Delay 480.... DPS 1.75
    Wax Sword +1 (Sword) Dmg 7 Delay 218.... DPS 1.93

In this case the sword that would be putting out way less damage per swing still outdamages the harder hitting scythe over time. Now also keep in mind that you are statistically more likely to land your blows more often with a faster weapon. Let's say that in one minute you swung your sword 10 times and only landed 7/10 blows. Now what if in that same minute you swung your scythe 3 times and only landed 1/3 blows. Obviously the sword would do more damage. When you miss with a big weapon it's negative effects (loss of damage and loss of TP gain) are way more noticable than missing one time with a low delay weapon.

Aside from all of this you should probably be using what your job's best weapon is. Each job is ranked a certain way in weapons. WARs I believe are A+ in Great Axes and A- in one handed axes. MNK is obviously A+ in H2H. THF is A+ in dagger however at lower levels it is potentially more useful for you to use a Sword (or H2H if you are /MNK)because dagger gets no decent WSs until the 30s. But at that point (after learning Viper Bite) you should stick to your A+ weapon.

There are many WARS that think it is cool to use things like Scythes and Swords but they just aren't made for these weapons. If you are lower classed in a weapon you will have less skill in that weapons and therefore will miss far more often which puts out way less damage.

How would I know what server I'm on, since I randomly get login everytime I play FF XI?

When you login you get a server message "Welcome to 'X'". In my case it's "Welcome to Kujata!", just make sure you read which name comes up. Alternatively, it should say on the character select screen. If you want to see a full list of the servers, go to www.playonline.com and look up the server status.
    Please check out my writing in the arts and writing forum!
    http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60115

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

AWESOME! I'm in Kujata too!!! *dances* lol... Sorry it's just that almost never happens.
    jkhkjg

You're on Kujata? Yay! I thought I was the only eyeson member to be on that server!

I'm Kallick... My other character is called Tavertaru and my mule is Quillick, so umm... If you see me give me a /wave
    jkhkjg

Dang it, I'm trying to get to see a black wolf to spawn since I heard it's spawn at night and on the hills in North Gustaberg, so can anyone tell me, if I'm right or not? It'd because I need a dog collar to do a quest!

yeah they do... I usually spot one whenever I go through there at night on a chocobo... Around the bridge area, on the southern side, north gustaberg... On the lower side of the cliff. Just kill some quadav to pass the time
    jkhkjg

Can you increase your inventory space in your moogle house?

Yeah there's some quest you can do for that... There are also quests to boost your normal inventory size... And you can get a mog locker toooo... Don't ask me how though... I advise looking them up on something like alakazam.com, or something better.
    jkhkjg

Inventory Space- Gobbie Bag Quests. Start the quests in the junk shop in lower jeuno. If your fame is high enough the goblin will offer to make you a bigger bag in exchange for the right items. Quite expensive. REQUIRES FAME.

Mog Safe Space- Bed Quests. Buying a bed and putting it your mog house may activate a quest wherein your moogle says he's going away and wants some items. Bring him the right ones and eventually there will be a cutscene where he gives you a bigger mogsafe as a thank you present. First quest is a bronze bed, items required: beetle ring, power bow. REQUIRES FAME.

Mog locker space- in exchange for imperial mythril pieces you can increase your mog locker from 30, to 50 slots. Not a bad upgrade, and not fame based either!

If you've been on a farming spree, the quickest way to gain fame in Jeuno (for the gobbie bag) and San d'Oria and Bastok (assuming your home nation is one of these for the bed quests) is the old selbina/boyhada moss quest.

Every point in weapon skill also means 1 added point to attack and accuracy of that weapon, which is why some weapons that cap lower than your highest, are generally not preferred. However this cap is moot point under 30, but if you decide to take it any higher, choose the job's most proficient weapon. You also have to know that usually 100TP vs 300TP is not different enough to warrant you using the time to get it higher.

Delay considers how much time before your next swing, as well as your TP gain. Obviously a Great Sword will give you more TP when you hit, vs a Sword. This also affects Haste and Dual Wield, meaning that when you have a weapon that swings slow, and then you make them swing faster by lowering their delay, your TP gain is also adjusted to that delay value, so you are not gaining TP any faster(in fact it can be slower). Dual Wield is funky in the sense that pre Haste upgrade around 25, it only adds the two delays of the weapons together meaning you dont swing any faster, yet the delays are re-calculated in terms of TP gain, meaning if you do not have a fast swinging weapon, you actually gain TP SLOWER.

Delay for H2H is the default, and the weapons only add on the delay to your H2H flat delay(that is, if you take off all weapons and go barefisted).

In this case the sword that would be putting out way less damage per swing still outdamages the harder hitting scythe over time. Now also keep in mind that you are statistically more likely to land your blows more often with a faster weapon. Let's say that in one minute you swung your sword 10 times and only landed 7/10 blows. Now what if in that same minute you swung your scythe 3 times and only landed 1/3 blows. Obviously the sword would do more damage. When you miss with a big weapon it's negative effects (loss of damage and loss of TP gain) are way more noticable than missing one time with a low delay weapon.
    You can also say that because you swing that many more times, you are statistically also more likely to miss that many more times as well. I dont know, but in the end the game usually balances everything out somehow as long as your gear is decent. I dont feel a Sword is gonna outdamage the Scythe though, in this game the Swords are generally....very weak compared to Axes which have similiar if not same delay.

BTW Fame lvls are increased by every side-quest you do.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I agree that statistically you have a greater chance to miss. Like you said, in endgame it balances out as you have access to better and more balanced gear. I've found from leveling all of my low jobs that while soloing at lower levels a high delays weapon can get you killed. One miss often equals death as the mob can get in 2-3 hits between scythe/GSword swings.

However, in XP I'd just suggest using the weapon to which your job has the most affinity for the accuracy reasons that Lion mentioned. Looking back I probably wasn't too clear about that.

Well, somehow I got a message that the telepoint at Crag of Dem has disappeared when I clicked on the dimensional portal, so how can I get a faded crystal then?!
    Last edited by GOD GUNDAM; 06-16-2006 at 01:46 PM.

The faded and shattered telepoints are for Chains of Promathia stuff, theres 3 of those points and one of those arent broken so just walk around.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3