Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help a newbie like me out!

Default Help a newbie like me out!

I was told that if you want to heal yourself, you will have to press "*", but that didn't work for me! Here is my FFXI name:Charlemagne, so you guys can help me out in the game, since it's frustrating trying to find out controls in the game!
    Last edited by GOD GUNDAM; 06-08-2006 at 06:26 PM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There are multiple servers for FFXI, so chances are, most of us won't be able to help you in-game because most of us won't be on the same server as you. If * doesn't work (and it really should) then /heal should also work.

I personally use CTRL+H. =)

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

if healing is the only thing your having problems with now then consider yourself lucky...

just remember after about a week you can laugh at the noobs too.

I've played quite a few MMOs in my day, ranging from Everquest 1 to WoW and I must say that FFXI is by far the most complex one out there that I've played. I was reading some guides today about how different layouts of your house affect things >_> was totally confused. I still get nervous in groups because I'm such a n00b to this game. Anyways, sorta on topic. Make sure your not targetting ANYTHING when you use *,it'll lock you to your target instead if you do. Everything has to be off your screen before it'll work as a command. So hit your right mouse button or escape a few times before hitting it.

I think I'm a perma-FFXI n00b. Started it when it first came out in America, quit. Started again and then decided to change server to a friends, was a complete n00b again. Quit. Now I'm here trying again since WoW bores me and EQ2 keeps stabbing me in the neck with a rusty knife no matter how much I enjoy its backstory, I can't play it when other MMOs are so much better.

So what does the combat skills doe for you? Since it now my hand to hand skill is 5! Also, is the exp. points the only thing you will lose if you die in a battle?

As your combat skills increase you learn weapon skills which use up your TP. You cant use them until you have your Tp bar to 100 at least and the higher it is the more effective it is.
    You dont lose anything else when you die. You lose about 10% of the total exp till the next lvl when you die but when you are raised you gain some back.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Did you press the * on the Number Pad?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

That's exactly what I thought. It's numpad controls >.>

My biggest advice to a new player- don't rush yourself. As much as you want to run out and be awesome, take time to learn about your chosen job(s) and pick up good advice.

I swear if I see one more warrior with a sword and shield I will be very upset T.T
    Please check out my writing in the arts and writing forum!
    http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60115

That's my little diagram of the controls. Keep your thumb over the arrow keys and control the rest with the numpad. I forgot to label that 9 and 3 zoom in and out.

I personally use Ctrl+H to rest so that I can be targeted on a mob and still rest.

Do you know where I can buy weapons/armor for my lv.4 Galka warrior? Also, what is delay for the weapon stat?

Hmm, well the Auction House (AH) has a lot of choice, but as always the price is somewhat higher than you might pay if you buy from NPCs. Take the time to look around your hometown, im sure there is a merchant somewhere that might have some gear you can buy.

Personally I'd wait until level 7 and score a full set of leather gear. I dont know what weapon you are using, but I'd say try and get hold of a great axe. Probably one of the better weapons for a low level warrior. Failing that, a hand axe and a shield is acceptable.

EDIT: Delay is the amount of time between attacks. A higher delay means you'll have to wait longer between attacks. Example: My current sword has a delay of 250. Another sword has a delay of 220. My current sword is "slower" than the other one. Single handed weapons are quicker than two handed weapons (scythe being the slowest) but offer substantially less attack power. It's all up to you really. So long as you don't have a delay of 600+ or something you should be ok :P
    Please check out my writing in the arts and writing forum!
    http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60115

delay is fun ;p chances are you hit harder (aka Dark Knight)
    Laguna is right though, check out the armouries (sp?) and weapon shops around where your home town, i found some good stuff there!

as for the dying, you can de-level as well, which is a bummer, but hey, at low levels it's not so bad, and you end up at your homepoint which is sometimes useful, saves the walk .

go for a cool great axe, ^-^ i'm a warrior, and they are truly the best, admittingly you'll get used to the delay, but it's fun really, because you hit hard! Careful about not going out too far when you begin leveling though! because some of the enemies could be hard.. i found that out the silly way!!

What is the difference when there the weapon's stat:damage is +2 when the damage is 2? Also, what is the water attribute for my shield, since there is a waterdrop symbol +2 for its stat?

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

It's not abnormal to still be new to this game after a long period of time. I've had this game for two years, my highest level is 36 and I've only ever participated in PvP once.
    jkhkjg